autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier Review and Testing

Ok guys. Time for an update! I've been trying to get as much brake dust accumulated in the wheels and I hope this is enough for you guys. This is the only time I wished my car produced more brake dust. I couldn't go any further because my car is filthy and I can't stand it anymore. I had to wash it.

Date: 3/16/2012
    Mileage: 41,185 miles
    Miles driven since application: 1,640 miles
    Soap: Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash
    Wash Media: Body Sponge

Let's start with the passenger side wheel first. This wheel had both the Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier on one side and Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on another side.

Here's how the wheel looked prior to washing:

Just to refresh your memory of which side is which, here's a picture showing just that: (Or you can refer to my original post for proof)

Here's a picture of the wheels after the initial rinse:

Here are some pictures showing the wheel face's reaction to the soap when I washed it. The picture below shows the side where the Brake Dust Barrier is applied:

As you can see, the soap seems like it didn't want to stick to the surface. This could be because of the Brake Dust Barrier coating. On the other hand, the picture below shows the side where the cleaner wax is applied:

As you can see, there's nothing special about it. The soap seems to cling onto the surface.

Here's a picture of the wheels after rinsing the soap residue off resulting in a clean wheel:

This picture clearly shows that the Brake Dust Barrier side is beading like there's no tomorrow while the side with cleaner wax isn't.

Here are some videos I took as well to show you guys how the water reacts to each side.

Below is the video prior to soaping the wheel down:

Below is the video after soaping the wheel down:

2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Now let's move on with the driver side wheel. This wheel had only the Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier on one side and it was uncoated on another side as a control.

Here's how the wheel looked prior to washing:

Just to refresh your memory of which side is which, here's a picture showing just that: (Or you can refer to my original post for proof)

Here's a picture of the wheels after the initial rinse:

Here's a picture of the wheels after soaping it:

Here's a picture of the wheels after rinsing the soap residue off resulting in a clean wheel: (sorry for the bad lighting. It was getting dark)

Again, this picture clearly shows that the Brake Dust Barrier side is beading like there's no tomorrow while the uncoated side isn't.

Here are some videos I took as well to show you guys how the water reacts to each side.

Below is the video prior to soaping the wheel down:

Below is the video after soaping the wheel down:

*** Please notice the tape line on the spoke located in the 7-8 o'clock. You can clearly see the side with Brake Dust Barrier repelling the water while the water attaches to the uncoated side.

Post Thanks / Like

Observations:

• It seems like the Brake Dust Barrier provides a coating of some sort. It also provides relentless water beading.
    • The side where the Brake Dust Barrier is applied feels slicker than the side with cleaner wax or the uncoated side.
    • This product doesn't repel brake dust at all. The brake dust clings to the coated, waxed and uncoated surfaces almost equally.
    • This product doesn't make it easier to rinse off the brake dust with water. However, my water pressure is low. Using a pressure washer can alter my results.
    • This product may make it easier to wash off the brake dust with soap or wheel cleaners especially when heavy accumulation is present. I just wasn't able to produce a lot of brake dust in my case. However, if you regularly wash and maintain your wheels, it really won't make a difference.
    • The cleaner wax didn't look like it survived the extreme heat produced by the vehicle's brakes. The side with cleaner wax reacts the same way with the uncoated side.

Conclusion:
    This product definitely works! It provides you with a coating that lasts a long time and will help clean up your wheels a lot easier. It lasts a long time - definitely more than your traditional wax applied on the wheels. I will definitely use this product from now on so that my wheels are fully protected. You need to try this product out. It's worth the money and you won't be disappointed.

What do you guys think of my review? Hope you guys liked it and I hope it helps. If you guys have any comments or criticisms, please feel free to let me know. Thanks for your time!

Post Thanks / Like

I think your review is freaking awesome. I'm almost ashamed to put my picture up after that. I think you'll be able to see a bigger difference on my car since it's a brake dust monster, will post shortly, Nice work!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Conclusion:
    This product definitely works!
    It provides you with a coating that lasts a long time and will help clean up your wheels a lot easier. It lasts a long time - definitely more than your traditional wax applied on the wheels. I will definitely use this product from now on so that my wheels are fully protected. You need to try this product out. It's worth the money and you won't be disappointed.

What do you guys think of my review? Hope you guys liked it and I hope it helps. If you guys have any comments or criticisms, please feel free to let me know. Thanks for your time!
    Great Review Marc!
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to do so.

BTW: I highly regard your opinion on products...This one sure looks like a winner!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
    I think your review is freaking awesome. I'm almost ashamed to put my picture up after that. I think you'll be able to see a bigger difference on my car since it's a brake dust monster, will post shortly, Nice work!!!
    Thanks Gatoman! I think you did a great review as well. I really like how the AA repels brake dust so you have less to clean. Plus, it makes your wheels look a lot cleaner since it's silver rather than black.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert8194 View Post
    Great review. Thanks.
    Thank you Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Great Review Marc!
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to do so.

BTW: I highly regard your opinion on products...This one sure looks like a winner!

Bob
    Thank you for the kind words, Bob! I really appreciate it.

Thanks also! I try to provide unbiased and truthful reviews. But I'm no Corey hehehe! This definitely is a winner and I will keep on using this product. It simply works.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, so this is after about 1000 miles:

Armor all front:

Megs front:

AA rear:

Megs rear:

Megs front:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

On the surface, it seems like AA kills Megs BDB, but there's another chapter to this story. Washing. I was interested to see what if any affect washing the wheels with only water would do.

The AA has no affect, it's so repellant, that spraying the wheel with water makes the wheel look exactly the same, no better or worse.

The Megs is a whole different story, I just spray the wheels down with a regular garden nozzle, no chemicals.:

Megs front:

Megs rear:

OK, they're not spotless, but for having to do nothing they are pretty darn good. You would have to rewash the armor all side and then reapply the products again. I'm just gonna leave the Megs side alone and see how it goes.

Response to Marc08EX pbservations:
    It seems like the Brake Dust Barrier provides a coating of some sort. It also provides relentless water beading.
    exactly
    The side where the Brake Dust Barrier is applied feels slicker than the side with cleaner wax or the uncoated side.
    batting 1000
    This product doesn't repel brake dust at all. The brake dust clings to the coated, waxed and uncoated surfaces almost equally.
    you some kind of mind reader?
    This product doesn't make it easier to rinse off the brake dust with water. However, my water pressure is low. Using a pressure washer can alter my results.
    I didn't use a pressure washer, but my water pressure is strong, and my brake dust fierce. I can imagine spraying some cleaner and using a pressure washer would be all that would be needed instead of the 4 brushes and elbow grease that I normally need.to use.

Conclusion:
    If I can do 10% of the work and obtain 90% of the results I want, that's a trade I'm willing to make. I loathe washing rims and the brake dust on this car is criminal. I will definitely use Megs BDB again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review and great pics. Thank you. I'm buying some Megs tomorrow!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast