autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean Water Filter Kit

Review: Clean Water Filter Kit

Introduction:

The kit comes with two options, a single canister and double canister. The double canister enables you to assemble a double filtration system that will allow you to use both filters supplied in the kit simultaneously (sediment and softener). Both filters are included in both kits, but if you buy the single, you have to choose which filter to use. Of course, the purpose of this kit is to allow those of us with hard water (spotting) issues to enjoy the luxury of a traditional wash without running around the vehicle with Flash like speed with a Guzzler trying to keep the awful drops from air drying. I looked forward to trying this AG product out like no other considering the quality of my water.

Product Claims:

"The Clean Water Filter Kit is your solution to water spots and micro-marring produced during washing. Remember, if you’re washing your vehicle with unfiltered water, you could unknowingly be pouring hard water scale or sediment on the paint finish. This simple, in-line filtration system is an easy way to eliminate the threat of unclean wash water."

Details:
    1.- Packaging: Multiple pieces all sealed in plastic

2.- Directions: assembly directions provided, easy to follow
    3.- Installation: plug and play for the most part
    4.- Color: canister looks clear/blue on AG, I got purple... who cares
    5.- Scent: plastic??
    6.- Single Kit Price: = $ 95.99
    7.- Double Kit Price: = $139.99
    8.- Replacement Filter = $19.99/$9.99 (softener/sediment)
    9.- Manufacturer: not listed

Product used for application/test:
    Micro Fiber Towels, Tape, Tervis Tumblers, various products for spot removal.

Product shot and test area:

Assembly is obviously easy, drop filter in, screw in hose, good to go. I didn't mount it yet, but will soon, was too antsy to get the test underway. Used my 2 T.Tumblers to hold the straight tap water, and the filtered product. Steelers tumbler got the good stuff .

I divided the trunk in half for my test spots. Left would be unfiltered, right - filltered. This was the 2nd most challenging part of the test (i'll reveal the most challenging later). Getting the water to actually stay on the trunk was a major chore. It RAN like aquatic cats off of a hot tin roof as I tried to pour it onto my trunk. Guess that's a good thing. After a few attempts at water splater, I was able to get reasonable samples on to each side of the trunk.

I had good sun at the time, so I only needed to wait 20 minutes or so for the smaller drops to dry. First the unfiltered - as you can see, the usual spotting, notice the outline and the interior of the spots for comparing the next pic.

Next the filtered - yes there was spotting, this isn't a miracle cure. What is important to notice is the difference in the spotting. You'll see a more distinct outline, but almost no staining in the interior of the spots.

So, why do you ask, would you bother spending money on a product like this that still produces spotting after filtration?? The next pic has the answer. This was taken following a quick wipe with UWW+, and a follow up with a QD. I emphasize "quick", no more than 2 wipes with both applications. Here are the results:

As you can see, the filtered side is totally void of any and all spotting after the quick wipe. The unfiltered side, well... remember I said I'd reveal the #1 most challenging part of the test?

I was sure I'd be able to remove the left over spots on the unfiltered spots quickly following the test. Following the quick wipe, I repeated the UWW with a little more elbow grease, nothing. A little IPA, nothing, BlackFire Gloss polish (pait cleaner) - nothing. Finally I decided to dab it with a little white vinegar and this did the trick. Of course I had to reapply my Midnight Sun following this mess.

Summary: considering your options - those being a rinseless wash which I've been using religously, or investing in one of the higher priced systems, this little unit definitely performs. The residue that is left, wipes off effortlessly and gives the peace of mind that you will NOT be dealing with hard to remove water spots that we are all too familiar with. I highly recommend.

PS - following the test run, my filter burst. Not sure if that is a-typical or not, but in typical AG fashion, I messaged Nick, and a replacement filter will be on it's way first thing Monday.

EDIT: Props to Corey as I totally stole his review format if it wasn't obvious

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clean Water Filter Kit

is that only a DI resin for the filter..if so that is a HUGE rip off..you can get a DI resin for 20bucks and get one of those empty canisters off any fish supply place for 20 or even ebay for less. I know I bought a DI add on kit for my RO unit and it was like 20bucks for me..same thing they are selling you for 100
    also you can get those same sediment cartridges for like 4bucks..Look on amazon or ebay they are all the standardized size for all RO units so they will all fit that canister

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this kit and love it. Cause the spots will just wipe off with ease if ur unable to get to them In time.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything you can do to produce better results in worth the effort in my mind providing the cost is acceptable....nice review...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using one of these canisters with the resin cartridge for about two years. The results are as you describe. I use Potassium Chloride instead of Sodium Chloride to recharge the resin because I don't like the idea of salty water on the vehicle and drying in cracks and crevices and leaving salt behind even if it is a small amout. As you have shown, any spots that are left on the car are MUCH easier to wipe off because they don't have the scaling effect like the calcium in hard water. Here is a brief article that explains it. Spot-Free Car Wash – Pure Water Products, LLC

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, Can anyone tell me what the maintenance on this Filtration System (Resin Filter) should be? It appears to work great, especially expanding your drying time, however, it really lacked maintenance instructions. I saw on one review that it should be rejuvinated every wash, which doesn't seem practical. Please Help!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How often do you recharge your resin filter?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i know this thread is almost two years old , but i just bought this filter kit and would also like to know how often does the resin filter need to be recharged ?