autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Review: CarPro CeriGlass

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I may have mixed up my oxides and my chromates, but since chromium oxide is green I don't think that heat tint on your stainless pipes (or the whitish passive layer from environmental exposure) is Cr3O2.

No way, we don't make anything here in NJ anymore except "financial industry" employees...they stamp THEM out by the hundreds.
    -Like you I may have my oxides and chromates mixed up....
    But I thought the passivation layer on SS was chromium (III) oxide---Cr2O3....and I believe that's the same chromium oxide in green rouge. I may be wrong, though. Be interesting to really find out for sure!
    -And I've noticed more white passivation occurring on bare/polished aluminum (being that it's of an aluminum oxide nature) than SS.

-Sorry about your State's "state of affairs"...Same thing goes for a lot things here in Ohio as well. BTW...Didn't say Caswell Inc manufactured the wheel buff...Just said that's where my source, sources them.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CarPro CeriGlass

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    But I thought the passivation layer on SS was chromium (III) oxide---Cr2O3....and I believe that's the same chromium oxide in green rouge. I may be wrong, though. Be interesting to really find out for sure!
    -And I've noticed more white passivation occurring on bare/polished aluminum (being that it's of an aluminum oxide nature) than SS.

BTW...Didn't say Caswell Inc manufactured the wheel buff...Just said that's where my source, sources them.
    Well, Cr2O3 is definitely green, but I'm not sure the passive layer is the same stuff although #### says it is...of course the passive layer is only a few molecules thick, so maybe it IS green we just can't see it. That white stuff on your alumimum is more likely a corrosion salt, you only get that oxide layer if you keep it dry.

Oh and Caswell seems to be in NY...they have a lot of stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Corey, excellent review as always.

This is one of those products that I would call a game changer. And I cannot wait to get some time with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, Cr2O3 is definitely green, but I'm not sure the passive layer is the same stuff although #### says it is...of course the passive layer is only a few molecules thick, so maybe it IS green we just can't see it. That white stuff on your alumimum is more likely a corrosion salt, you only get that oxide layer if you keep it dry.

Oh and Caswell seems to be in NY...they have a lot of stuff!
    OK. Fair enough.

One reason I even brought up, or mentioned, any of this SS stuff:

-If CeriGlass has the ability to "cut" glass in any perceptual amount, such as removing/reducing scratches, I was curious what will it do to metals when it's used as a polishing agent...How much "cut" it would have on metals.
    -Right now there's been no info given on CeriGlass' cerium oxide abrasives grit size. CeriGlass' "cutting abilty" on metals, then, may be "mild enough/strong enough" for different metal polishing tasks.
    -But....Conversely...Couldn't some metal polishes be used as glass polishes?

Hopefully Avi/Corey will chime in and address this issue.....I'm a little hesitant at the moment, and just considering, CeriGlass' potential uses.

@ Corey: Hope you don't take this as a hi-jack....To Me: It seems pertinent....Sincere apology, if it is deemed otherwise.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, nothing could make me happier than some great discussion within my review. Thank you so much for all your thought provoking analysis and everything you add. I'm not sure I read everything good enough to follow but my hope is ceriglass will cut metal easier than metal polishes themselves. I'm hoping I can polish my exhaust tips by hand with it. I'll read through everything again when I have more time and respond to the rest.

I will quickly say I wouldn't think metal polishes would be able to cut glass but I could be wrong... Otherwise why wouldn't jewelers use metal polish to do so? Instead they use cerium oxide to polish quartz if I'm not mistaken.

I can say one thing though... If anyone has a car that won't mind having it's windshield polished with metal polish it's that green monstrosity of mine
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Bob, nothing could make me happier than some great discussion within my review. Thank you so much for all your thought provoking analysis and everything you add. I'm not sure I read everything good enough to follow but my hope is ceriglass will cut metal easier than metal polishes themselves. I'm hoping I can polish my exhaust tips by hand with it. I'll read through everything again when I have more time and respond to the rest.

I will quickly say I wouldn't think metal polishes would be able to cut glass but I could be wrong... Otherwise why wouldn't jewelers use metal polish to do so? Instead they use cerium oxide to polish quartz if I'm not mistaken.

I can say one thing though... If anyone has a car that won't mind having it's windshield polished with metal polish it's that green monstrosity of mine
    Corey...Thank you for your kind words.

You stating that you want to polish your exhaust tips (are they SS on your Sky?) just got me thinking a bit, that's all.

After re-reading through your review's postings, I'm sure you'll pick up on my thoughts about using any cerium oxide polishing product on metals, especially without knowing the % of, and grit size (in microns) of the abrasives contained therein.

Jewelers do use a variety of "rouges", from cerium oxides clear down to the finest of rouges...red jewelers rouge. Some of these rouges are also used in metal polishing....perhaps at a lower grade---especially red jewelers rouge.

I'm therorizing only: If CeriGlass can be used to polish metals; then, could metal polishing rouges containing similar, or comparable, abrasive % and grit sizes as CeriGlass, be used in glass polishing.

Bottom Line:
    I do have concerns (scratches, mainly) regarding you polishing your exhaust tips with CeriGlass or any other cerium oxide products. But...IMO...That's what discussion forums are about. That, and there's always other "rouges" to cure all that's not well.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    The glass guys that do windows around my town use a form of jewelers rouge to polish glass all the time. That is the only thing that they recommended to me when I asked about removing pits. They said don't go much above the red as it can cause distortion on some glasses. They said that sometimes if the glass is harder they will go up a little in aggressiveness, but not too much higher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IOMCAMARO View Post
    The glass guys that do windows around my town use a form of jewelers rouge to polish glass all the time. That is the only thing that they recommended to me when I asked about removing pits. They said don't go much above the red as it can cause distortion on some glasses. They said that sometimes if the glass is harder they will go up a little in aggressiveness, but not too much higher.
    Are you talking about vehicles' window glass (mostly tempered), vehicles' windshield window glass (laminated), or windows in homes/office buildings [(more and more are becoming tempered...costs more, (the same reason some are not)]?

Either way...Sounds like they gave you some good advice...least aggressive first.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Are you talking about vehicles' window glass (mostly tempered), vehicles' windshield window glass (laminated), or windows in homes/office buildings [(more and more are becoming tempered...costs more, (the same reason some are not)]?

Either way...Sounds like they gave you some good advice...least aggressive first.

Bob
    They actually do both. They do more car windshields than anything though. I was gonna have mine replaced until they told me to look into the rouge first. They said that it might help enough that it wouldn't bug me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IOMCAMARO View Post
    They actually do both. They do more car windshields than anything though. I was gonna have mine replaced until they told me to look into the rouge first. They said that it might help enough that it wouldn't bug me.
    Some of the polishing results these kind of guys get are fantastic....they are like artists, so to speak.

No! Don't say your Camaro's windshield is damaged...

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast