autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CarPro CeriGlass

Great review Dog, as usual! Looks like driving that car won't be as much of a hazard anymore! I went ahead and ordered some last night when they were put up. Can't wait to give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like

Corey, I hate it when you post and I have to read on my iPhone! Your posts are much more enjoyable on a full size computer.

As always, thank you for an in-depth, informative and objective review of the newest products available at AG. You obviously have a passion for detailing and maybe a little obsessive compulsiveness that the entire detailing community benefits from on a continual basis. It was "nice" to see that even a master like yourself struggled dialing in the proper technique for a new product.

Not sure I would need the in depth cleaning your daily driver did, but the kit with applicators to clean water spots seems like a no brainer at that price point. Looking forward to the update on exhaust tips to let me know if it is even a bigger bargain.
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Corey, once again, top notch review! Do you ever take a break from being awesome? Anyway, did you, by chance, use a foam pad on a DA? I'm curious if it would work. Or maybe ceri glass on a MF pad? I will be picking up some Ceri glass tomorrow and I can always try the foam/mf pad route as well
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Corey. The before and after shots are where the proof in performance is evident. I'll pop a smaller foam pad on my rotary as it seems to be the right choice..

CarPro CeriGlass is definitely destined for my product supply....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by courtdale View Post
    I had about the same level of success when I tried Diamondite's Creme, but I fell short of correcting the pits, which is what I was really shooting for.
    That ain't gonna happen, man, those pits are too deep, if they are rock chips.

I have done the Diamondite with the glass polishing pads, and they are tough because they are so stiff...I think if Optimum ever comes out with their MF cutting pads I'm going to dedicate one to the glass polish and give that a shot on the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Corey...

Again, I must say, an excellent review! Your write-ups and photos are always informative and make for "an easy read"

Also...A few things I believe I gleaned from your review :

1.) Glad you brought up some health & safety issues that shouldn't be overlooked when polishing glass with products containing cerium oxide.
    2.) Excessive heat build-up....That it may cause optical distortion. {I'd like to add, if you don't mind, that the "heat-build up" from polishing/buffing windshield glass can be transferred to the underlying 'plastic laminate', possibly affecting its bonding properties..even its very own optical clarity, also.}
    3.) You made it aware that multiple applications may be the best route in attempting scratch(es) removal/improvement....Better than trying to remove everything all at one time!
    4.) Machine speed is crucial, as well as the type of machine itself.
    5.) "Correct" glass polishing pads plays an important role.

Please feel free to correct any of my misreadings/understandings of your review.

Two other items of interest:

A.) Other than windshields being laminated, most of vehicles' other glass surfaces/windows is made from "tempered-glass". I'm sure I'm not the only one who has attempted to remove scratches from those glass surfaces...with the driver's side window being more susceptible....often with less than desired outcomes. [It has been said that polishing tempered-glass (with its characteristic shattering properties) may well be left alone.]
    Question then: Has there been any discussions regarding this issue and CeriGlass' role in doing so?

B.) There are different grades of cerium oxides, some are even used in metal alloys' production processes....Using a cerium oxide glass polishing compound for polishing "metals" is something I personally have never tried.....Especially on stainless steel. For that I use the "green rouge", i.e.: green chromium oxide laden products.

An update, in regards to the above matters, would be greatly appreciated. (Of course, I expect this to be done: "At your leisure" )

Thanks again for your review.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

FUNX...I never thought about it before, but is that what's in the green rouge, chromium oxide?? I bet you can't get that any more, just like the chromated primers that are being phased out.

Do you have any input on why windshields seem to be so soft today, especially on the Asian cars?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    FUNX...I never thought about it before, but is that what's in the green rouge, chromium oxide?? I bet you can't get that any more, just like the chromated primers that are being phased out.

Do you have any input on why windshields seem to be so soft today, especially on the Asian cars?
    SS Rouge:
    -Green rouge is still readily available for metal polishing businesses and others that fabricate SS items, say like exhausts, Also many auto body/paint suppliers. Fortunately I have enough rouges to last me awhile.
    -Until someone can find a way for SS to stop emitting/forming its own protective layer/coating of chromium oxide when exposed to oxygen, the elimination of chromium oxide seems futile to me.

Soft Glass:
    -All OEMs are trying to cut costs in material procurement...vehicles windshield glass is probably no exception. If PPG, or others, can prove that their "new" windshield-glass is more cost effective, with decreased overall weight, and still meet NHTS' requirements...including windshield-glass thickness/integrity (at least vehicles intended for the USA market)... the OEM's will utilize this "new" glass.
    -Is it softer than other vehicle wind-shield glass? That just may be one of its properties....Unless one has "insider" info, OEM's usually keep their supplier's tech. data hush-hush.
    -One fact I learned recently about vehicle wind-shield glass thicknesses: A C6 Corvette ZO6's windshield is "thinner" (for extra weight reduction) than the C6 Coupe/Convertible....And I'm not going to say exactly how I found this out.

BTW: Knowing of your interested in wheel buffing tools:

Found this wheel buff at my local auto supplies house...excellent on some of the wheel's flat surfaces.

They get these wheel buffs, and others, from Caswell Inc. up in Newark, N.J. Don't know if they can be used for glass polishing, though. Haven't tried that yet.

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 12-08-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Until someone can find a way for SS to stop emitting/forming its own protective layer/coating of chromium oxide when exposed to oxygen, the elimination of chromium oxide seems futile to me.
    I may have mixed up my oxides and my chromates, but since chromium oxide is green I don't think that heat tint on your stainless pipes (or the whitish passive layer from environmental exposure) is Cr3O2.

Is it softer than other vehicle wind-shield glass? That just may be one of its properties....
    Maybe it's the crap they put on the roads now, or maybe it's just my imagination, but it just seems way too easy to get ice-scraper scratches today (from scraping frost off a windshield that has road film on it, presumably).

They get these wheel buffs, and others, from Caswell Inc. up in Newark, N.J.
    No way, we don't make anything here in NJ anymore except "financial industry" employees...they stamp THEM out by the hundreds.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the awesome review!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast