autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Optimum GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Niebelung View Post
    Tried using GPS today by hand, has a thick oily feel to it but it worked well in covering up very fine marring.

The only problem I had was that my GPS didn't atomize the way it did in Corey's video. It came out as a stream and splatted on the paint. This happened no matter which setting on the nozzle I turned it to =(

So it's a great AIO, just not sprayable for me unfortunately.

If it helps, the ambient temp I was working at is approx 92F and 60% humidity in the shade. The consistency of the product is more like a cream rather than a liquid like OCW.
    Mine does that from time to time. It is much thicker than OCW and will NEVER atomize that well, but you can try a few things: remove the sprayer and spray what's in it back into the bottle, reattach the sprayer, shake well and try a spray. Sometimes you pull up the thicker stuff off the bottom and it sprays in a stream. Another tip is to use the spray turned to the setting witl 5 dotted lines instead of 2. And last but not least: be sure to pull the trigger like you mean it. GPS, Hyper Compound, and Hyper Polish are thick so they need a forceful trigger press to come out in finer particles...they need more momentum than a thin liquid like OCW. I was able to demo this at SEMA and that was usually the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback Niebelung!

The forceful trigger pull is in important point Chris!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Corey and all

Sorry to revive this thread but shortly after reading your review, I got myself some GPS. I had a very brief try with it and I would like to ask you something that you might be able to help with.

Maybe its a stupid question but I'm a bit confused.

During your test you apply GPS in order to correct an area sanded with 3000 unigrit. But if you are polishing in a real life scenario a car with light to medium swirls, is there any other way (except IPA and re apply GPS) to make sure that you re not glazing/covering the defects but actually removing them... ?

...Or since GPS has the cutting power to remove 3000 Unigrit marks, ensures that defects will be removed.

Is the working time comes in effect here as well ? If you work GPS for a short period of time, it performs more like a glaze and if you work longer it acts more like a polish ?

Thanks
    Theo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theostoubos View Post
    Hi Corey and all

Sorry to revive this thread but shortly after reading your review, I got myself some GPS. I had a very brief try with it and I would like to ask you something that you might be able to help with.

Maybe its a stupid question but I'm a bit confused.

During your test you apply GPS in order to correct an area sanded with 3000 unigrit. But if you are polishing in a real life scenario a car with light to medium swirls, is there any other way (except IPA and re apply GPS) to make sure that you re not glazing/covering the defects but actually removing them... ?

...Or since GPS has the cutting power to remove 3000 Unigrit marks, ensures that defects will be removed.

Is the working time comes in effect here as well ? If you work GPS for a short period of time, it performs more like a glaze and if you work longer it acts more like a polish ?

Thanks
    Theo
    It depends on what your goal is, I personally would not use this product for correction, since it is also a glaze. This is more of a product for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time correcting the paint but wants a showroom look from waxing. The polishing step is like an added bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to diss a product, but of all the products I ever bought from Autogeek since the very first day, GPS proved to be the very worst of all.

And an idiot I was to buy a 1/2 gallon of it.

I bought the product specifically to maintain my white Cargo Trailer, to clean the paint from rain stains, and protect. I used it once, and it worked. Must've used about 4-5 oz total. It didn't protect long.

And in 2 months the entire rest turned into Cottage Cheese, Was unusable, and in the trashcan it went.

Let me go on to say, that I have bought many other Optimum products, like Opti-Seal, Tire Shine, Opti-Bond Gel, and have Hyper Polish as well, and I think they are all outstanding products!

Just caught a dud was all. It happens.

Post Thanks / Like

this was years ago but the one thing about optimum polishes/compounds IME is if you don't use them soon they start to separate no matter how much you shake them. even the OID i have has some brown sediment towards the bottom of the bottle and you have to shake it so it mixes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    this was years ago but the one thing about optimum polishes/compounds IME is if you don't use them soon they start to separate no matter how much you shake them...
    Such shouldn't happen. To me it's a sign of an improperly made product and can often source back to a horrid water filtration system as one cause.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Such shouldn't happen. To me it's a sign of an improperly made product and can often source back to a horrid water filtration system as one cause.
    another thing is under/around the cap it would be black almost as if it were mold. i ended up throwing them all out...

Post Thanks / Like

This is an old thread, and I may even have posted something about this earlier in the thread, but there was a period when Optimum reformulated their polishes from more of a solvent-base to more of a water-base (that doesn't mean they don't still have solvents, because they do), and they had rancidity problems. They seem to have solved that, though, since we haven't heard complaints in recent years. I'm not sure if the Autogeek warehouse temperature has anything to do with the problem, since the Optimum polishes seem to be fairly slow-movers for them.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678