autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Impressive"4-Way Wheel cleaner test & Tire Shine Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Great job on the 3 way Chris One of these days I'll get one of those wheel cleaners.
    Hey bud,haven't seen you around for awhile.Hope all is well
    Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    Thanks for posting your findings. I was courious how they all compared
    My pleasure
    Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    I agree with your findings. None of the tires appear dressed, just really clean. I've had 2 customers with Bridgestone tires and they pretty much refuse dressing. On one vehicle I applied 3 different dressings in multiple layers with the same results . I was using Sonax for wheels and Iron X for paint, but now I just use Iron X for both.
    Yes,I think how tire dressings appear depends somewhat on the manufacture and design/pattern on the face of the tire(sidewall).
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I would like to try the Sonax. Lots of positive reviews on that one! I have used the Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner many times with great results. Even on my wife's cruddy, abused wheels! But I want to try the Sonax.....Always room for another product in the arsenal!

Have you tried the Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing? That's my favorite so far.
    My name is Ted and I'm a Auto Geek!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scarelane View Post
    Great review!

Have you tried the Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing? That's my favorite so far.
    Thank You Ted.

I have Not tried the GG V&RD-yet but I'm always looking for a durable tire product that also makes the tires look (1) step above clean (very very little shine).

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I'm kinda bummed out about your findings, ha. I just bought a gallon of GG HD wheel cleaner to try it out. I just went through two of the 5 liter containers of Sonax. As much as I like the Sonax...I just can't swallow that hefty price tag. I can buy 3 gallons of GG HD for the price of two 5 liters of Sonax.

I was willing to bust out the money for the Sonax simply because I have a few guys working for me now...and I wanted something safe on all rims for them to use. I just didn't really wanna risk coming around the corner to find one of my guys confused as to why the rims are spotted, haha.

I guess my question now is....how much is Iron X? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    Interesting. I'm kinda bummed out about your findings, ha. I just bought a gallon of GG HD wheel cleaner to try it out. I just went through two of the 5 liter containers of Sonax. As much as I like the Sonax...I just can't swallow that hefty price tag. I can buy 3 gallons of GG HD for the price of two 5 liters of Sonax.

I was willing to bust out the money for the Sonax simply because I have a few guys working for me now...and I wanted something safe on all rims for them to use. I just didn't really wanna risk coming around the corner to find one of my guys confused as to why the rims are spotted, haha.

CarPro Iron X 5 Liter Refill

Its pretty damn expensive but you can use it on the cars paint too so it can double duty. I forgot the member but he did a side by side with Iron X on one side of a white truck and Sonax FE (Paint mind you) and Iron X did its job. Where Sonax just kind of stayed green.

Quote Originally Posted by IID View Post
    I actually thought the IronX cleaned the best out of all the wheel cleaners.
    Yeah it just didn't do anything for my rims
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post
    CarPro Iron X 5 Liter Refill

Its pretty damn expensive but you can use it on the cars paint too so it can double duty. I forgot the member but he did a side by side with Iron X on one side of a white truck and Sonax FE (Paint mind you) and Iron X did its job. Where Sonax just kind of stayed green.
    Yeah I looked up the price. Definitely hefty. I think if anything I would buy Iron-x strictly for paint use only. It's nice that you can use it on rims too.

But honestly...I've never had a problem getting rims clean no matter what product I use. I've tried all different kinds, and of course some work better than others. But still, I don't think it's worth the money to save myself from scrubbing just a bit more. I'd rather have something on the cheaper side that works fairly well, and is concentrated.

I'll be asking my distributor what he has for a non-acid wheel cleaner. The acid stuff I have around now from him is just too risky to have around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post

I was bummed out as well that the performance wasn't on par(for me)with the IronX/Sonax.
    The way I think about it is:
    if you have to use more of a product(or physically work the product harder),are you really saving over a product that is more expensive?
    If you can get the job done with a product that's more effective(less product usage to get the job done),it'll justify a more expensive product.
    If you have to physically work less(less effort=less time),it'll justify a more expensive product.
    ********In my personal opinion********

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IID View Post
    I was bummed out as well that the performance wasn't on par(for me)with the IronX/Sonax.
    The way I think about it is:
    if you have to use more of a product(or physically work the product harder),are you really saving over a product that is more expensive?
    If you can get the job done with a product that's more effective(less product usage to get the job done),it'll justify a more expensive product.
    If you have to physically work less(less effort=less time),it'll justify a more expensive product.
    ********In my personal opinion********
    I hear ya. I agree with you on that. But, in this particular case...my normal wheel cleaner is about $30 for a concentrated gallon that makes 5 more gallons...I think that logic gets tossed out the window when something like Sonax is $80 for 5 ready to use liters that I blow through pretty quickly.

Also, the wheels come out just as clean with my product and I don't necessarily use more product. I just basically always have to agitate...but I do that with Sonax as well.

But yes, I more than agree with you that time is money. I think in this particular case for me...it's more of a business decision. It's either refill with Sonax every few weeks for $80, or go for months for just $30. No brainer I guess in my case.

I do like the Sonax though...just got a find a way to keep it around for painted, and aluminum rims only. When it's around...I tend to use it up! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't use IronX on chrome, but you can use Sonax. For wheels, Sonax > IronX
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are confusing me on this pricing--gallons, liters, dollars...rounding off a little I come up with this:

Griot's: $13.21/liter
    Sonax FE: $20/liter, $19/liter (on sale), $16/liter (buy 2 on sale)
    Iron-X: $25/liter

That's buying the Griot's in gallons and the others in 5-liter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast