autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant

Do you have to let this cure for 24 hours like you do the Wolfgang sealant? If I apply it and it rains or frosts 5-6 hours later will it drown the polymers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSMet View Post
    BFWD is one of the best sealants I have used. It does make you think that your car is coated with a wax instead of a sealant because of the depth and glow of your paint after polishing and applying the sealant. I'd like to try topping it with a wax such as soveran or Blackfire, so far I used Pete's 53 and got good results. The only sealant that I have used that has come close in longevity is Wolfgang. AG has a winner for sure. Thanks for the great review.
    My pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by audilover View Post
    Do you have to let this cure for 24 hours like you do the Wolfgang sealant? If I apply it and it rains or frosts 5-6 hours later will it drown the polymers?
    That depends on the conditions. More than likely any moisture within 5-6 hours is going to reduce durability but you will get some length of protection. I have not tested it's durability with moisture being introduced so can't say how big of a difference it makes. In my experience with polymer sealants in general introducing moisture within that time frame significantly reduces there durability. If I had to throw a number at you (and keep in mind there are a thousand variables so this number doesn't mean much). I would say durability is reduced by close to 65% in the time frame you mention. Keep in mind that's based on only a couple moisture tests I've done and it can all change based on the conditions of humidity and temperature as well as wind speed and sunshine which affect how fast the sealant cures.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Corey. I applied it to a friend's car yesterday around 1 and wiped it off around 2. I had some left over on my pad so I put it on my car as well. Last night around 7ish my paint felt oily.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Corey. I applied it to a friend's car yesterday around 1 and wiped it off around 2. I had some left over on my pad so I put it on my car as well. Last night around 7ish my paint felt oily.
    I'm betting with the current temps (it must be cold up there) it takes longer to be in the clear but that's just a guess. How was it this AM?

Will you post your durability results in this thread and include what the temperature and cloudiness was at application?

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

If you look real closely, it looks like a wolf howling at the moon!!!

Very nice review Corey...I may have to give this stuff a try. I'd love to see it on my Acura.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I'm betting with the current temps (it must be cold up there) it takes longer to be in the clear but that's just a guess. How was it this AM?

Will you post your durability results in this thread and include what the temperature and cloudiness was at application?
    Durability...? lol, i''ll probably throw some souveran on it today and tomorrow Wolfgang Sealant Spritz then Wednesday some V7...well you get the idea. But for you my friend I can leave trunk lid alone for a month or so.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an idiot...i'll just go check out my clients truck in a month...less torture that way of having to leave my own car alone for so long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    If you look real closely, it looks like a wolf howling at the moon!!!

Very nice review Corey...I may have to give this stuff a try. I'd love to see it on my Acura.
    Thank you!!

Yes, that was weird wasn't it?!

Durability...? lol, i''ll probably throw some souveran on it today and tomorrow Wolfgang Sealant Spritz then Wednesday some V7...well you get the idea. But for you my friend I can leave trunk lid alone for a month or so.
    I'm an idiot...i'll just go check out my clients truck in a month...less torture that way of having to leave my own car alone for so long.
    Thank you!!! I appreciate it and I know others will as well.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Corey...I've read a few times where products "sweat" is that normal? Does it go away?
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Alex, it is not normal for most sealants. BFWD is the only sealant I have seen it with but it's very minimal in comparison to a carnauba wax with very high carnauba content. With BFWD it really is a non issue. It is minimal if present at all dependent on the environment. If it appears at all it does not last long.

With waxes of HIGH carnauba content it can be incredible nasty, irritating, last a very long time and make you wonder why anyone pays a lot of money for an expensive wax that has these issues. Again though some environments don't have the issue.

For instance, I used Vintage which is a high content Nuba on my Sky before Detailfest. I applied it the day before driving down there. The next morning on my way down the car had sun on it for about 30 minutes before I got to AG. By the time I got out of the car my worst fears were realized and the whole car had a haze over it as if it had not been buffed. I buffed the sweating off repeatedly that day. At times I was buffing it every ten minutes! The next day it was a little better but still some. Even weeks and I think a month later after it had been washed multiple times if I pulled it into the sun I would see it haze up in places.

In contrast I have a couple buddies up in Canada who haven't seen it sweat much if at all. Humidity, etc plays a part.

I used swissvax concorso which also has high content and I had heard people complain. Well, I applied it and buffed it off. This time (as recommended by SV) I parked it in the sun for a couple hours immediately afterwards. It never sweated on me once. So it can be hit and miss based on a lot of factors.

Summary:
    It is normal for high content nubas.
    It is not normal for most waxes or for sealants.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast