autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by Waxmax View Post
    BFWD is a great sealant. I've used it many times. On dark colors (incl. black) it gives a great deep look with excellent reflection and incredible slickness...ala a wet diamond.

I have never had the dusting or re-hazing (sweating) problems mentioned in the OP. I am sure many others will chime in now on its merits. Great to see Blackfire and Todd Helme added to PBMG.
    I'm sure you're going to say it doesn't need it, but have you topped it with a wax? like Fuzion?
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

BFWD is a great sealant. I've used it many times. On dark colors (incl. black) it gives a great deep look with excellent reflection and incredible slickness...ala a wet diamond.

I have never had the dusting or re-hazing (sweating) problems mentioned in the OP. I am sure many others will chime in now on its merits. Great to see Blackfire and Todd Helme added to PBMG.
    Corey did a great review. Like you I never had a sweating problem, a little dusting, but no biggie.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using BFWD for about a year and really like it. Great shine and very slick. Easy on and off and it doesn't stain trim. Even though I own a PC and a Flex 3401 I prefer to put on sealants by hand. I use a sponge applicator and it goes on very thin as it should and NO dusting. I did use it with a microfiber applicator once and I couldn't get it on thin enough due to the texture of the applicator and had some light dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

BFWD!! Something else I have to get..

Post Thanks / Like

S2K- regarding topping BFWD with carnauba, I've done it a few times...with Midnight Sun, also Fuzion and Souveran.

The difference in look is subtle...maybe a little richer look, but BFWD really does not need it, IMO. Sometimes I feel like using a carnauba, sometimes not. It's all good.

Post Thanks / Like

S2K- regarding topping BFWD with carnauba, I've done it a few times...with Midnight Sun, also Fuzion and Souveran.

The difference in look is subtle...maybe a little richer look, but BFWD really does not need it, IMO. Sometimes I feel like using a carnauba, sometimes not. It's all good.
    Thanks, but it could be fun to try anyways.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice review Corey!

The dusting, from my understanding, is caused by the actual drying agents in the product, which where added to the line (along with polycharger) around 2008-9ish.

Ultimately BFWD does not need to haze prior to being wiped off. You can apply it and remove it immediately with little to no effect on durability. I will usually apply it with a gold pad on a PC around speed 3. I can cover about 1/3 of a normal sized car with just a few drops, then I come back and buff that section off immediately. This seems to drastically cut down on both the streaking and dusting issues that may occur in humid climates on some paints.

BFWD was designed to be fool-proof to a larger degree than most other sealants. Want to buff it off wet? No problem. What to wait until it hazes? No problem. Want to do half you car, grab a beer, watch Mike Phillips on Speed, then buff it off, no problem.

Thanks for the review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Thanks, but it could be fun to try anyways.
    I really like with with Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba, either batch #24 or #25.

The wax was developed to specifically 'bond' (term used loosely) to the extremely slick surfaces that modern sealants like BFWD are noted for. It has a small polymer blend that it is similar to the polymer used in BFWD.

458 Italia with BFWD/MS

Post Thanks / Like

Do you do the small areas you can't get with the PC by hand before or after you do the large areas by machine?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToddHelme View Post
    Really nice review Corey!

The dusting, from my understanding, is caused by the actual drying agents in the product, which where added to the line (along with polycharger) around 2008-9ish.

Ultimately BFWD does not need to haze prior to being wiped off. You can apply it and remove it immediately with little to no effect on durability. I will usually apply it with a gold pad on a PC around speed 3. I can cover about 1/3 of a normal sized car with just a few drops, then I come back and buff that section off immediately. This seems to drastically cut down on both the streaking and dusting issues that may occur in humid climates on some paints.

BFWD was designed to be fool-proof to a larger degree than most other sealants. Want to buff it off wet? No problem. What to wait until it hazes? No problem. Want to do half you car, grab a beer, watch Mike Phillips on Speed, then buff it off, no problem.

Thanks for the review.
    Very interesting and great info Todd. I was under the assumption that it was like most others - wait until it hazes before removing. I used this a few weeks ago with a great outcome and the client was very happy with the slickness of the paint. Maybe one day I'll get around to applying LSP's by machine vs. hand. Do you know if the gold pads will come over with the BF line? Thanks for sharing.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast