autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Metro Blaster SideKick review

Today I had an opportunity to test drive this tool today and all in all I was very impressed with this tool.

Specifications:

• Air Volume: 160MPH/85CFM
    • Air Speed: 18,000 FPM
    • HP Motor: 1.3
    • Amps: 8
    • Volts: 120
    • Watts: 950
    • Warranty: 1 YEAR WARRANTY
    • MADE IN USA

The Metro Blaster SideKick is rugged and very well built. With the exception of the rubber nozzle and heavy plastic grip the Metro Blaster SideKick is all steel so it's no lightweight.

I must admit when I ordered it I didn't expect such a rugged well made machine but rather something much lighter duty. I was very impressed with this little blow dryer! It's very compact, but don't let its small size fool you.

The Metro Blaster SideKick directs high velocity stream of warm air reaching deep into those places where water tends to accumulate forcing it out and quickly and drying the area.

The Metro Blaster SideKick also was designed with a replaceable foam filter in its base to keep foreign debris from entering it.

Pros:

• Well designed
    • Rugged
    • Well built
    • Easy to maneuver
    • Easy to maintain
    • High velocity directed warm air
    • Everything I've written above

Cons:

• Short electrical cord
    • High cost

On such a well designed tool why would anyone manufacture it with only a 10" electrical cord, what were they thinking!! ? If this was done to lower cost then they should be charging $4.00 more and upgrade this to a 8 foot cord..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metro Blaster SideKick review

Nice review Bobby. I am betting that the short cord is so that you don't have an electrical connection on the wet ground. It is designed to blow off wet cars and they took that into design consideration. Chances are very likely the groung around where you are working will be wet.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

videos?? that would be very useful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Nice review Bobby. I am betting that the short cord is so that you don't have an electrical connection on the wet ground. It is designed to blow off wet cars and they took that into design consideration. Chances are very likely the ground around where you are working will be wet.
    Thanks Jim,

I like your thinking and you might just be onto something....

Post Thanks / Like

How long did it take to dry a car with the SideKick? Did you use towels too?
    My name is Ted and I'm a Auto Geek!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. In "Air Volume" there is a listed airspeed of 160 MPH yet if you convert 18,000 FPM to mph it is 205 MPH.

Which one is correct?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review Bobby! I will purchase this on my next order. I also wondered about this little blower and everyone told me to just buy an electric leaf blower. I detail out of my car and I definitely don't have the room to cram a leaf blower. Thanks for the review!
    Roland

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of these a couple years ago for my Harley - it was essential in getting all the nooks and crannies around the motor like the cooling fins, drying the hand controls, etc. Though I sold my bike last year, I recently pulled this little powerhouse out to dry my 2011 Mustang. Since the car has all the 'bling' goodies like hood and side scoops, full pedestal spoiler, etc., I found it was BRILLIANT in forcing the hidden water out from around these trim pieces, decals, etc.

It is a little pricey, but it's definitely built to last. So far as the cord is concerned, I believe Dr. Oldz hit the nail on the head... Given that its habitat is a wet driveway or shop floor, it makes sense to keep the connection away from the ground. The 10" is just right to "knot" with an extension cord. The machine is maybe a little larger than a quart mason jar and has a good heft - it's easy to control. Mine came with two rubber tips - a conical 'pinpoint' tip that's pictured above, and a fan-shaped 'flat' concentrator that works well for sheeting large flat surfaces.

It's definitely more gentle than a compressor, though much heavier to wield than an air hose. The air it delivers is warmed, though I'm not sure if it utilizes a hair-dryer-like heating element or if it's just warmed by the high-powered motor... Most likely the latter.

Given that I'm no longer detailing a motorcycle (where it was pretty much essential), would I buy it again? After using it several times now on my car and truck to chase away the water that "hides" from drying towels and later decides to run out to meet a running polishing pad, I'd have to say the answer is definitely YES!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to get one of the bigger Metro blowers one day. I know you got this for the tight places, though.

Great review!

I wonder why they don't just offer a version with a longer cord with an additional cost!?! Kind of like what the PC does...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aerogt01 View Post
    I'm confused. In "Air Volume" there is a listed airspeed of 160 MPH yet if you convert 18,000 FPM to mph it is 205 MPH.

Which one is correct?
    Your math is correct so it sounds like they're "sand bagging" the numbers a little...Maybe give them a call and ask them whats up with their math.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast