autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner.

Intro.

About two months ago, I was interested in really scrubbing the carpets in my 2003 S10, so I decided to order the 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner based on the reviews. But one of the first cars that received the 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner “treatment” was my neighbors huge Chevy Travers. I used the cleaner as a carpet/interior trim cleaner. The carpets were all scrubbed, the trim was wiped down. Over all, I was initially surprised with the results. I don’t see much talk or recommendations of this product on the AG Forum, which puzzles me, because IME, it performs very well.

Product Description (From the product label):

303 FABRIC/VINYL CLEANER (303 FVC). Newest cleaning technology safely removes difficult stains: Dirt, oil, grease, coffee, tea, juice, wine & pet stains. 303 FVC can be used full strength or diluted with water on vinyl and all water-safe textiles, including canvas, upholstery, carpeting and apparel.

Product claims (found at AG’s website: http://www.autogeek.net/303aecl.html ) :

1. Safely removes difficult stains.

True. Based on my experience so far, although certain stains are almost impossible to remove (ink, wine, etc.), 303 does safely remove the stains that it can remove. I’ve used this cleaner on ink on a seat, and the stain is almost completely removed; no fabric was damaged. Cleaned carpets; no damage. Cleaned Vinyl; no damage. As long as the product is rinsed after cleaning, I believe that no damage will result.

2. Odor-less.

True when diluted. False when not diluted.

3. Rinses Residue free.

True. I think rinsing is pretty important when using 303 FVC as well as any other dedicated cleaning product. The cleaned surface is residue free when rinsed, and trim is left clean and streak free.

4. Super concentrated.

Not 100% sure. I have used the cleaner up to 30-1 dilution with water and the cleaning properties were still very present. In the review I used a 15-1 dilution with water.

Product Observations:

1. Packaging: Squared, white, one-gallon jug. Screw-cap. Handle on the top. Standard 303 FVC label with minimal art and color.
    2. Color: Deep yellow when undiluted.
    3. Texture: Fluid, water-like.
    4. Scent: Faint, wet wood smell.
    5. Ease of use: Easy-moderate depending on surface and material being cleaned.
    6. Cost: 32oz.: $12.99. 128oz. $29.99
    7. Country of origin: U.S.A.
    8. Miscellaneous: Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, Earth friendly.

Important Information found on product label.

CAUTION: Excessive soaking in bleach can deteriorate sewing threads. For mildew and special cleaning problems on other fabrics, contact the fabric manufacturer.

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. STORE & USE ABOVE FREEZING.

Other products used:

http://www.autogeek.net/kwazar-sprayers.html
    Cheap microfiber towels
    Water
    Wet/Dry Shop-Vac

Demonstration Process:

For this review I used a dilution of 15-1 with water to clean both interior trim and a carpet mat.

The trim in my S-10 had a couple of layers of 303 AP. As you can see, the trim is very dark and glossy. The truck had not been cleaned in about three weeks, but my regular cleaning routine consisted of using 303 AP to clean and product.

Before:

Here are some shots of a '06 Corolla:

Before some quick 50/50 shots, I want to show you something stupid. I do not recommend spraying the product onto the surface, then wiping. Always spay into the MF, then wipe/scrub.

Now for some 50/50 shots. Notice the saturated line on the first door trim, which occured from overspray.

After the above noted goof, I sprayed onto the microfiber, and then scrubbed the trim. I followed this with a rinse by using a separate damp (with water) MF to soak up any residue. I do not recommend letting the 303 or any other cleaner to dry on any surface.

*Note: On all the 50/50 shots, the right side (brighter) is the clean side.

Now for the Carpet Mat.

I probably could have done a bit better with the photos, because the mat had a lot of dirt on the surface, which is really hard to see in this light.

Before:

Here is a photo of the mat immediately after it was scrubbed, and right before the rinse.

After:

Final Thoughts:

Overall I am impressed with the 303 FVC, especially when used on interior vinyl trim. I think the 15-1 dilution was a bit strong, however. I’d really like to try other cleaners for the carpets, though. I do not own a carpet extractor, so the 303 FVC was tough to get used to on the carpets, and I'm sure this would be great when used in an extractor. But I do think I found my go to vinyl cleaner.

Has anyne else tried this product? Liked it? I just don't see a whole lot of mention on the forum...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner.

Awesome review, TED! I really like your "true/false format"! I have used this product for convertable tops for a while now with great results but never really considered it for more than that for some reason. Thanks for opening my eyes! It doesn't really get mentioned much but may now after this review.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to say great review too!

Now you need to do the review on fabric guard!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Awesome review, TED! I really like your "true/false format"! I have used this product for convertable tops for a while now with great results but never really considered it for more than that for some reason. Thanks for opening my eyes! It doesn't really get mentioned much but may now after this review.
    Are you sure you used this:

303 Fabric Cleaner removes stains and restores fabric to like-new condition. The 303 biodegradable formula removes oil, grease, dirt, coffee, tea,

instead of this:

The 303 Fabric and Vinyl Convertible Cleaner removes stains and soiling from your vinyl or fabric top through a unique colloidal action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Thanks Jim! The dilution ratio is crazy on this stuff, but it works great. I haven't tried it on convertable tops yet, but when I do I will take some before & afters to add to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to say great review too!

Now you need to do the review on fabric guard!
    I have some fabric guard, and will add a review one day. It's just that 6+ hour cure time is insane; I don't have that kind of time right now, but would love to. Maybe in a few months...I'll do a few cars...lots of pics...

Post Thanks / Like

Or you can spray it, go to work and then come back!

Why did you dilute the cleaner? I thought it was RTU?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    Or you can spray it, go to work and then come back!

Why did you dilute the cleaner? I thought it was RTU?
    I could but the fumes of the fabric guard are dangerous, and you shouldn't get the stuff anywhere but the carpet + upholstery, so it's a lot of work to prep...

It is, but it's a waste of product. You can make up to 20 gallons of cleaner with one gallon of this stuff depending on the application.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's the reason people buy an APC. They can dilute it. I use APC+ and I like it alot, but if you dilute your FVC 20:1, that's pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast