autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review and Extreme Testing: Opti-Coat 2.0 and CQuartz

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    So I found a post by chris saying that if you can apply a second coat after a few minutes and it will act as a single thick coat. Also I can apply another within +-12 hours for two thin coats.

So that what I am gonna do. But I have a question. There is already some ornage bug/bird crap. I obviously need to remove this first. The coating has been on my car for 2-3 hours now. Is it safe to use OPC to help remove the bugs at this point? Or is it too early?
    Your mileage may vary, but I found opti-coat to be very tacky near that 12 hour window making a second coat very difficult. Not sure about the 2-3 hour window. If you start putting on your second and find the surface to be tacky and not allowing the applicator to slide, I would recommend aborting and coming back in another 12 hours to try.

Is the vehicle parked outside?
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Im glad I bought some ONR when I got OC. I will get to work right now.
    I agree! I have done a second coat on the hood right after finishing the vehicles. No tackiness.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crxman2010 View Post
    Your mileage may vary, but I found opti-coat to be very tacky near that 12 hour window making a second coat very difficult. Not sure about the 2-3 hour window. If you start putting on your second and find the surface to be tacky and not allowing the applicator to slide, I would recommend aborting and coming back in another 12 hours to try.

Is the vehicle parked outside?
    I didnt notice any excess tackiness. It felt somewhat similar to when I first applied it to the bare paint. But it did stick a few times, I figured it was from having to little product.

I noticed no weird streaking or anything though. So I guess it was okay?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt notice any excess tackiness. It felt somewhat similar to when I first applied it to the bare paint. But it did stick a few times, I figured it was from having to little product.

I would think you are good to go. I would guess humidity and temp play a big role in how quick the tackiness cures out. I would have been about 70 degrees indoors no sun light.
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

Really happy to hear you had great results first time out of the gate! I certainly didnt but that was a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this review!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ForceField View Post
    Thank you for this review!
    This review is Corey's Mona Lisa! IMO anyway!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading up a lot on Opti Coat and this thread is one which helped to persuade my mind to go with Opti Coat. Thanks for the work put in Cee Dog.

Now I've read that Opti Coat itself is not very glossy or slick (it's similar to the car paint). So to add gloss and slickness something like Carpro Reload or Permanon can be added on top. Old Tiger mentioned to me that adding either will make it look and feel like glass... which is an exciting prospect.

Now should Reload or Permanon be applied soon after Opti Coat is done or should it be after curing (I read that Opti Coat has a curing time)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBJB View Post
    I've been reading up a lot on Opti Coat and this thread is one which helped to persuade my mind to go with Opti Coat. Thanks for the work put in Cee Dog.

Now I've read that Opti Coat itself is not very glossy or slick (it's similar to the car paint). So to add gloss and slickness something like Carpro Reload or Permanon can be added on top. Old Tiger mentioned to me that adding either will make it look and feel like glass... which is an exciting prospect.

Now should Reload or Permanon be applied soon after Opti Coat is done or should it be after curing (I read that Opti Coat has a curing time)?
    If you've read any of the many jobs I've done this summer, all of them were done with OG, and all were topped with either Permanon or FK425 or DG AW. You should wait a minimum of 12 hours before doing so. Chris is now saying that after fully cured (30 days?) that you can actually polish with an AIO (I would do DG 501) to add slickness. I've never tried this. Sounds interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I used some poliseal on a pinnacle foam applicator by hand to level a couple high spots on the hood of a Miata I did recently and was surprised at how simple it was to level. It literally took less than a minute.

Granted this was only after a week after application but it was still surprising to me.

Now one week and one month are very different time frames (wasn't 3 months also mentioned at one point for full hardness of OC 2.0?) but I wouldn't try using an AIO on the entire car, especially by machine. Maybe do a test spot on the trunk lid or someplace where you can recoat if you removed your OC by mistake.

It would be such a shame to undo all your prep work in the name of adding some slickness.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast