autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review and Extreme Testing: Opti-Coat 2.0 and CQuartz

Quote Originally Posted by avi@carpro View Post
    Please define the word "Permanent" !
    what is permanent?? if its something you cant remove no matter what ok... so this means permanent
    but if the definition of "permanent " means : cant remove by any chemicals and only mechanic abrasion.. so Cquartz is defiantly permanent coat!
    Avi, I was going by the descriptions I've read from both Optimum and you guys. If I remember correctly, Opti-coat is advertised as lasting for the life of the car. On the other hand, CQ is said to last for roughly 3 years (which is no slouch for protection either!). I apologized if I wasn't clear, but hopefully this clears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    Trent - very interesting and unique test, thanks for taking the time to put this all together.

In this photo the CQ fills in the 3000Grit sanding quite nicely (which was surprising) but it looks like the gloss is not restored and that the paint is still hazy underneath the CQ coating. When looking at this IRL is this the case?

Where I am going with this is that the popular Spar/Mineral spirits combo does a very good job at creating a transparent & glossy surface so the light travels directly through and is not scattered. From what I believe I am observing in your pictures is that when using either CQ or OC on headlights they should be finely polished before applying a coating, unlike using Spar or 3K Clear that works best with a roughed surface to bond to.
    You're correct. In general the CQ filled the scratches MUCH better than OC. However, the haze you are referring to is actually still scratches. If filled them in but during close inspection, you can see that the scratches are still there , just slightly glossier than the non-coated counterpart. Also, CQ and OC are meant to be applied to polished surfaces, including headlights. I'm sure that OC and CQ would bond very will with a sanded surface, but they were designed for polished surfaces.
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    Opti-coat is advertised as lasting for the life of the car. On the other hand, CQ is said to last for roughly 3 years

3 years is an amazing feat, and given you can later the product I'm sure you could get even longer durability, but I wouldn't call 3 years permanent.

Permanent is something that will be there a lot longer than 3 years.
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That was an amazingly thorough test. Thank you, you did an outstanding job!

Post Thanks / Like

So I have read thru this whole thread and see that Cquartz and Opticoat act in the same way as sheeting properties and in his experience both are about the same. I was wondering what is the principle difference in the two technologies nanocoat vs resin? Also is there a feature that one does that the other would not? Ex. would opticoat sheeting properties stop after a while even tho it is technically on the coating for life?

Cee Dog... Do you still prefer one over the other? If so why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk8bug View Post
    Wow! That was an amazingly thorough test. Thank you, you did an outstanding job!
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vellie View Post
    So I have read thru this whole thread and see that Cquartz and Opticoat act in the same way as sheeting properties and in his experience both are about the same. I was wondering what is the principle difference in the two technologies nanocoat vs resin? Also is there a feature that one does that the other would not? Ex. would opticoat sheeting properties stop after a while even tho it is technically on the coating for life?

The Opticoat will not stop beading for the life of its durability.

Well, the two technologies are very different. I could go into a bunch of things I've noted since using them both but I'll keep it to what I consider to be the important factors for people.

1.-The first few times you use these products the CQuartz is easier to apply and you have no chance of high spots.

2.-After you have mastered the application of both products (If you are going to use them regularly) Opticoat is physically less taxing to apply to most cars. (unless they have a ton of intracicies)

3.-For daily drivers I prefer Opticoat because I don't have to buff it off. And most importantly it is a sacrificial coating.

4.-For Show cars or Garage queens I prefer CQuartz because I believe it produces greater clarity compared to OC. They both really look great and it's near impossible to tell the difference but the CQuartz seems to be more leveled in my testing so even though I can't see the difference in clarity it stands to reason more level surface = greater clarity.

5.-CQuartz fully hardens faster than OptiCoat.

So,

A.- If someone is detailing as a profession then my recomendation would hinge on what kind of clients and cars they have as well as the environment. I would say if they will be adding a coating service to their menu they should try 3 applications of each and decide which product works best for them.

B.- If someone was going to just coat one car I would recomend Cquartz because it doesn't have the same learning curve.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Thank you!!

The Opticoat will not stop beading for the life of its durability.

Well, the two technologies are very different. I could go into a bunch of things I've noted since using them both but I'll keep it to what I consider to be the important factors for people.

1.-The first few times you use these products the CQuartz is easier to apply and you have no chance of high spots.

2.-After you have mastered the application of both products (If you are going to use them regularly) Opticoat is physically less taxing to apply to most cars. (unless they have a ton of intracicies)

3.-For daily drivers I prefer Opticoat because I don't have to buff it off. And most importantly it is a sacrificial coating.

4.-For Show cars or Garage queens I prefer CQuartz because I believe it produces greater clarity compared to OC. They both really look great and it's near impossible to tell the difference but the CQuartz seems to be more leveled in my testing so even though I can't see the difference in clarity it stands to reason more level surface = greater clarity.

5.-CQuartz fully hardens faster than OptiCoat.

So,

A.- If someone is detailing as a profession then my recomendation would hinge on what kind of clients and cars they have as well as the environment. I would say if they will be adding a coating service to their menu they should try 3 applications of each and decide which product works best for them.

B.- If someone was going to just coat one car I would recomend Cquartz because it doesn't have the same learning curve.
    I got a pm from someone that said it was confusing what I wrote in this post about the beading. Let me clarify.

You asked if OC would still bead permanently. It will bead for the life of the coating as will the CQuartz. As long as those coatings are on there they will bead. When the coatings have been worn off they will no longer bead. When they are dirty beading does not show with the same hydrophbic extreme contact angle. The dirtier they are the less the beading.

If the car is clean and they don't bead as well as they used to then it means the coating has been worn down and the coating is thin or wearing where you see this. If that happens after only a few months instead of years then the product was not applied properly or the surface was not cleaned properly.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I got a pm from someone that said it was confusing what I wrote in this post about the beading. Let me clarify.

You asked if OC would still bead permanently. It will bead for the life of the coating as will the CQuartz. As long as those coatings are on there they will bead. When the coatings have been worn off they will no longer bead. When they are dirty beading does not show with the same hydrophbic extreme contact angle. The dirtier they are the less the beading.

If the car is clean and they don't bead as well as they used to then it means the coating has been worn down and the coating is thin or wearing where you see this. If that happens after only a few months instead of years then the product was not applied properly or the surface was not cleaned properly.

Thanks Corey,

Also this learning curve is the same with 2.0? Cquartz still easier than Opticoat 2.0?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing review.....WOW! Cee Dog, good stuff bro. I'm heavily considering the OC product for future use. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Corey, this is a classic thread. I've looked at it numerous times as I consider OC. Nice to see one of the "good guys" who put in the time for others was recognized this weekend.

A thankful newbie!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Corey,

Also this learning curve is the same with 2.0? Cquartz still easier than Opticoat 2.0?
    My pleasure, I would say CQ is less stressful and mentally easier than OC any version. OC is easier physically than CQ as you do not have to buff it off. OC is easier Once you have spent time with both but you have to pay close attention because you can leave high spots where as you can not with CQ.

PS, my sincere apologies for not seeing your question sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by S7ICKlVlAN View Post
    Amazing review.....WOW! Cee Dog, good stuff bro. I'm heavily considering the OC product for future use. Thanks.
    My pleasure! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
    Corey, this is a classic thread. I've looked at it numerous times as I consider OC. Nice to see one of the "good guys" who put in the time for others was recognized this weekend.

A thankful newbie!
    Thank you Jim!!! That means a ton to me!

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast