autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trim/Plastic Restorers - 4 different products

As many of you know I have an Avalanche with no cladding. But it has all the plastics on the back of the truck. I've been looking for some products to treat the plastics to give them some color back but at the same time protect them from further damage. Oh and won't run! Main problem with the others I've tried.

I've tried a few things Adams VRT, 303 Aerospace, and a few others that I can't remember right now.

So, I picked up 4 more that I wanted to try. One of which was a sample from Rich Goldstein at RaggTopp (thanks!). I decided to do a 4 way comparison on one of my panels. I am testing the following products

RaggTopp Vinyl Protectant
    Poorboy's Trim Restorer
    Black Wow
    Ultima Tire & Trim Guard

I will watch these over the next few weeks to see how they hold up. We are due for some rain tonight over night, so that will be a good start.

Weather:
    Overcast, about 50 degrees

This is what I started with

I taped off for section on the back, ensuring I got the tailgate cap to see if any of the run.

First product up was the Black Wow.

Smell: Watermelons

Price: $16 for 2oz

Directions say to use small sesame seed size drop and rub into the material.
    I used a foam applicator pad and applied in the first section

It took me 2 small drops to do this whole section. The plastics really seemed to soak it up.

Overall opinion: The smell was nice and it was the best smelling out of all 4. It was also the best at darkening the plastics but the hardest to apply. It wasn't hard to apply just seems to take longer to get it to blend. Another con would be the price for such a small bottle. A little does go a long way though.

Next up was the RaggTopp Vinyl Protectant

Smell: This may sound funny but it almost smells like wasabi? I don't know why it reminds me of that..the chemical type smell kind of stings I guess. Not bad and it's not really strong.

Price: $16.99 for 16oz.

Directions say to Spray on and wipe dry. Since I was working in a small section and it was some what windy I didn't want to spray it right onto the panel and have it go all over the others. So I sprayed some onto a MF and applied it.

Here is what I was left with.

Overall Opinion: Was easy to apply, it's VOC compliant which is nice, and it contains no silicone so it says it won't run. It doesn't darken the plastics a whole lot but did some. It says on the bottle to reapply every 3-5 weeks. Which means more applications. Price is $16.99 for 16oz.

Next was the Poorboy's Trim Restorer

Smell: Not much of a scent at all. Slight scent but can't place it.

Price: $14.99 for 16oz

Directions say to apply to areas and let stand for as long as possible then to buff with a clean cotton cloth.

I applied with a foam applicator: Didn't take a pic of this since it's a clear liquid an it soaks into the pad. I let it sit for 20 minutes then buffed.

Here is what I was left with

Overall Opinion: It didn't have much of a smell which is fine, I do enjoy a nice tropical smelling product though. Just adds to the pleasure of using it I guess. It darkened the plastics some, not as much as the Black Wow, but more than the RaggTopp. It was also easy to apply. I don't like how you have to buff it, since the other products are wipe on and your done.

Finally was the Ultima Tire & Trim Guard

Smell: It smelled almost just like WD-40 or paint thinner. Very strong chemical smell

Price: $31.99 for 12oz

Directions say to apply with a foam applicator (supplied with the purchase of it).

What I was left with:

Overall Opinion: It darkened the plastics initially pretty good, once it dried it was probably the same as the poorboy's. The smell is pretty strong, but doesn't bother me. Since everyone here seems to really love this stuff I wanted to see it's durability. It's been mentioned by several members that it lasts longer than any other product and it makes maintenance washes easier. I'm very excited to see how this stuff works over time. However, for the price I would expect it to last!

Here are some side by sides of each product and the final pics after I took the tape off.

From Top to bottom the products are Black wow, RaggTopp, Poorboy's, and Ultima

Reverse for this one...Top is Ultima

Right now I like the Black Wow darkening abilities. However the Poorboy's and RaggTopp both beat Black Wow and UTTG in price. But with all the hype around Ultima, I'm really thinking I might like it better (at least I hope after spending $32 on it!).

I personally don't like how Black Wow is harder to blend that the others. I also don't like how Poorboys you have to buff off.

I will monitor these over the next few weeks and update this thread.

Thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim/Plastic Restorers - 4 different products

Awesome review, thanks Seajay

Post Thanks / Like

The Ultima looks to be more uniform in the coverage than the others. I'm interested in your follow-up.

2008 Ford Edge SEL 3.5L Vapor Silver - Weekend Driver | 2008 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L Vista Blue - Sold

Post Thanks / Like

Awasome. Can't wait to see the results!
    2013 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Kodiak Brown Metallic
    2004 Chevy Cavalier Burnt Orange Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Great review so far and I look forward to your outcome as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent test and writeup! A week or more from now or after the first rain you will be liking the Ultima a whole lot. And months down the line even more so. Once that comes in to play the Ultima is much cheaper than other products. Time and product saved. One thing I should say is I haven't tried all the products you have here so I look forward to the updates but I am pretty sure of the long term results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Excellent test and writeup! A week or more from now or after the first rain you will be liking the Ultima a whole lot. And months down the line even more so. Once that comes in to play the Ultima is much cheaper than other products. Time and product saved. One thing I should say is I haven't tried all the products you have here so I look forward to the updates but I am pretty sure of the long term results.
    I have a feeling your going to be right. If this product stands up to the test of time it will most definitely be my go to product!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. Great shots too, can get a good visual on coverage, and color.

I also am leaning toward Ultima. Looks to have great coverage. I would much rather have a product with great coverage and less darkness then vice-versa.

$32 is steep though!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I have used 3 of the 4. The UTTG is special. However if you just have one vehicle or so to maintain, PB's is very nice even if it does not last as long as UTTG.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

add some water ... let us know which runs most. Great review !

Scott

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast