autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: OPT Mitt

Post Thanks / Like

OPT Mitt

Spring is on its way, that means I dont have to rush around to do a rinseless wash trying to keep from fingers from getting frost bitten!
    I am fairly new to rinseless washing, started doing it towards the end of summer 2010. Ive never been extremely comfortable with the idea. I didnt like how much dirt always showed up on my microfiber mit and towels. I would typically use 1 mf mitt, and 2 mf towels to do a rinseless wash. With a traditional wash your mit released the dirt that gets trapped in it within the soapy solution. A rinseless doesnt work the same way and I do a lot more scrubbing against the grit guard to help insure a swirl free finish.

I have been using DP rinseless, bubble gum smell and leaves and awesome shine!
    2 bucket wash, I used about 2.5 gallons of wash water and a gallon and a half in the gray bucket as a rinse bucket. Note the DIY grit guard to fit the smaller bucket. My other HD bucket was soaking some MF towels. I put the label recommend amount of DP Rinseless in both the wash and rinse bucket, dont know if it really helps, but that is how I do it.

The subject was washed about a week and a half ago, the pollen is starting to fly here and your car is yellow/green with pollen a day after you detail it. Sucks! It isnt this bad yet but its starting to show up. This is a hand smudge on the A pillar

Silver is difficult to capture dirty on

Washing with the mitt was a pleasure and much easier then using my typical method. It also seems to release dirt much eaiser then your typical MF products. Ive heard folks complaining about the hole size for you hand in the mit but I didnt have much trouble. I could see that as a potential for it to start to tear at the point where the yellow back meets the black foam. I see how the string is handy to have as Im sure we have all dropped a mitt while washing, but with your hand in the mitt it seems like to much. I kept forgetting to put it around my had or tucking it in. Ill probably end up just cutting it off.
    I did seem to use more of the wash solution. The mitt holds a TON of water, which is a good thing. I just need to wring it out more I guess. I had just enough to finish my wash with the water sitting right about the grit guard.

Now on to the important part. Did washing with the OPT Mitt induce any swirls?
    Well........

Looks pretty good to me.

DP rinseless and OPT wash mitt= a winning combination, in the words of Charlie Sheen---Winning!!! Good stuff!

Ive RWed this car when it was much dirtier this winter using my method above with MF towels, I would feel much more comfortable doing it now with the OPT mitt. It released dirt much eaiser.

You may have noticed the slice out of the top. I think I did that cleaning around the grill or badging, not sure. Either way care should be noted when working around sharp areas as the mitt fairly soft.

This is the only con that I have with the mitt is its first use I tore it.

If you have any ?s I can answer please let me know.

Im looking forward to many more washes with the Mitt and Ill have to pick up some Opt Rinseless when I run out of the DP and review that combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OPT Mitt

I bought this on the recommendation of Nick and OPT Mitt is not as soft as Nick from Autogeek promised .. but oh well
    I use and for me is the best way to do rinseless/waterless is with the MF Fingers/Noodles type mits or sponges as they manage to get into the crevices better that a round mitt ... i should have known better but i just jumped in becuase it was OPT matching product ... oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I was thinking of getting this but I really like using the chenille mitts with ONR.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great option is the Lake Country Foam Wash Sponge . I have a Opti-Mitt and find the LC easier to use on vertical surfaces. It release the dirt very easily. Somebody here suggested using grout sponges and score their surface with a knife to create little squares like the LC effect.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

You've hit pay dirt dude. Congrats on a life changing discovery (in car care terms). Once you perfect the rinseless wash technique you will never look back. The opti mitt is the final piece to the puzzle. I've washed salt laden cars without fear and yes an added bonus is the gloss it leaves. Not many guys address that part. DP leaves a slick smooth layer that repels just about anything.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.