autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

Review: Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

Introduction:
    About 2 weeks ago I got to use this product which Shane sent me. Thanks for the sample Shane!

Product Description (from AG website):
    Meguiars Ultimate Protectant utilizes breakthrough UV clear coat technology to offer unbeatable protection to interior and exterior rubber and vinyl. Plus, it brings a deep, dark shine to treated surfaces. Meguiars Ultimate Protectant lasts longer than conventional protectants and breathes new life into rubber, plastic, and vinyl auto surfaces!

Initial Product Observations:
    1.- Packaging: N/A

2.- Directions: Simple
    3.- Consistency: Lotion

4.- Color: White
    5.- Scent: A hint of citrus I think?
    6.- Size: 12 oz.
    7.- Price at time of review: $9.99
    8.- Manufacturer: Meguiars, Inc
    9.- Made in: The USA

Products used for prep, during application, or removal:
    1.- Nitrile Gloves

2.- Optimum Power Clean
    3.- Flex 3401
    4.- Edge Flex Adapter

5.- Orange 4” pad
    6.- Meguiars M105
    7.- MF towels
    8.-
    Yellow Foam Applicator
    9.- Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

00-Conditions

Method of Preparation:
    All of the black trim around the windows as well as the door handles were cleaned with Optimum Power Clean and then polished with Megs 105 using the 4” light cutting pad. After polishing with M105 it looked a lot better but there was nothing I could do about the many fine cracks in the plastic. After being polished the trim was cleansed with P21S Total Auto wash along with the rest of the polished vehicle. The faded gray bumpers were simply rinsed with the excess Optimum Power Clean runoff during the initial wash phase.

Application:
    Using a foam applicator I applied MUP to the front bumper using overlapping back and forth movements. A portion of the front bumper still had UTTG on it so I applied the Megs directly over it. On the rear bumper I did not apply it over the drivers half (currently coated with DG 531) Using the same foam applicator I applied MUP to all the door handles as well as all plastic and rubber trim around the windows.

Video/Audio I:

Video/Audio II:

Observations:
    I found the best means of application was working the product in through repetitive back and forth or overlapping circular movements. It applies fairly quickly and couldn’t be easier, although a little more product is needed than other trim products I’m used to. As I was applying Meguiars there where a couple times I got just a bit on the paint near the rear bumper. As I was finishing up the rear bumper I had to run inside to eat lunch. When I came back out I tried to wipe off the bit that had found its way onto the paint. It was on there pretty solid but a little DP Rinseless Wash took it right off. Please rejoin me after the pictures for the Pros and Cons.

Pictures:

01-Before

02-Before

03-Before

04-Before

05-After M105

06-After M105

07-After M105

08-Pad (4”) on Flex 3401

09-Pad (4”) on Flex 3401

10-Pad (4”) on Flex 3401

11-After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

12-After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

13-After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

14-After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

15-After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

16-After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

17-After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

22- After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

23- After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

24- After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

25- After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

26- After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant with Tape Line

27- 50/50 Meguiars Ultimate Protectant VS. Nothing

28- After Meguiars Ultimate Protectant with Tape Line

2 WEEKS LATER

18-After a Rainstorm

19- After a Rainstorm

29- After a Rainstorm

Pros:
    1.- Simplicity of Application

2.- Darkens Trim
    3.- Dries to a non greasy finish

More Pro than Con:
    1.- Durability: After a couple weeks its done a lot better than I expected.
    2.- I am happy with the product holding up to the rain. I didn’t find any streaking from the rain on any of the window trim or door handles. There was a streak or two on the bumper after rain so this dropped it to the “More Pro than Con” category.

Cons:
    1.- More product is needed than what I am used to.

Food for thought:
    At a half or a third the price of Ultima Trim and Tire Guard the price of Meguiars Ultimate protectant seems great. It is a good price but if you compare the amount needed and the durability of UTTG the Ultima is much cheaper in the long run. Other than Ultima and Duragloss I think this may be the best trim product I’ve used so far.

Last edited by CEE DOG; 03-06-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

Once again you are the MAN!!!!! Very nice review!! Looks like a great OTC product with a very affordable price! For me I will be sticking with the UTTG tho!

Post Thanks / Like

Great Review Corey once again!!!!! Thanks for taking the time to do these reviews.

I've been using UTTG on the exterior and the UP on the interior of my dd and have been very satisfied with results! Both products are great products and UP being an OTC, with a decent price,works for me! Thanks again for the review!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review DOG! I found UP to fade overnight compared to UTTG or DG 531. It might have been my method of application, but I applied it just like you. I'm going to give one more product a shot(new CG G6 trim protectant) and if that doesn't rival UTTG, then I'm done experimenting with trim guards for awhile.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Corey. I used UP this weekend as well I found it to be pretty good. I used in on the interior but want to try it on some exterior trim to see how it holds up to UTTP.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Once again you are the MAN!!!!! Very nice review!! Looks like a great OTC product with a very affordable price! For me I will be sticking with the UTTG tho!
    Thank you Dr!!! I will stick with UTTG as well but I did like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    Great Review Corey once again!!!!! Thanks for taking the time to do these reviews.

I've been using UTTG on the exterior and the UP on the interior of my dd and have been very satisfied with results! Both products are great products and UP being an OTC, with a decent price,works for me! Thanks again for the review!
    Thanks dad!!! I should try it on the interior! I bet it would be great for the SL dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Nice review DOG! I found UP to fade overnight compared to UTTG or DG 531. It might have been my method of application, but I applied it just like you. I'm going to give one more product a shot(new CG G6 trim protectant) and if that doesn't rival UTTG, then I'm done experimenting with trim guards for awhile.
    Thanks Mark! Sorry to hear that but thats very interesting. Weird...

I haven't tried the CG but I have 98% certainty that no product is going to hold up to UTTG especially for durability (unless you spend 58$ per ounce). After some of the things I've seen with UTTG the stuff just doesn't come off for a very long time regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review Corey. I used UP this weekend as well I found it to be pretty good. I used in on the interior but want to try it on some exterior trim to see how it holds up to UTTP.
    Thank you, let us know what you think on the exterior

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Cee. I like this product a lot. I have used both this and UTTG. Here is what I have found.
    For hard plastics, trim, cowling ect, Meg UP is the winner last several weeks, though rain and washing. It was the first dressing that I have ever used in my years of detail that lasted that long. I use very little product. About a quarter drop does my side mirrors and side steps on my truck. You may have been using to much is why you had to work it in a bit.
    On soft plastics like my tonneau cover UTTG blows the meg away. I put Ultima on my tonneau around Nov. Its still beading and looking good. Megs worked but not nearly as long.

Neither product runs onto the paint. The choice between the 2 really comes down to your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Corey!

So, would you pick UP over PBTR? Also, I think you were using a bit much as well. There is a sticky thread on MOL on how to apply UP that you might be interested in - How to apply Ultimate Protectant - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online. IMO, for an OTC product, Ultimate Protectant kicks Back to Black butt any day of the week, without a doubt. Thanks for the review!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Love UP on the plastic windshield cowling and on the textured black plastic side mirrors on my Hyundai. Apply a small amount to a foam pad and work the product in, similar to applying a cleaner/wax to paint by hand. Buff with a microfiber and you're good to go.
    My Versa probably looks better than yours

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Corey,

Great job on another product review!

I did a similar test last summer and came away with pretty much the same results. I was used to using Poorboy's World Trim Restorer and this was quite a bit different so there was a relearning curve to it.

I was a bit skeptical initially but after some experimentation and after it dried I too was surprised and impressed with its look and staying power after a rain storm..

Awesome job my friend!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast