autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My weekend detail

Last week a Korean contacted me about having his silver mazda 3 detailed. Since i only take engagements during the weekends, we started on his car yesterday. He brought it to us at half past noon. It was covered in so much dust and dirt that i couldn't see through much of the damage. So we started to get to work.

After cleaning up the and drying the car. It was now apparent that what was earlier thought as JUST dust was also over-spray. And, i have to be honest, this was the first time i have seen so much over-spray. It was everywhere...bumpers, trims, doors, windows, even the tailpipes. It was horrible. If you look at about a 70degree angle you will see that there are red paint all over the surface. So out came the clay. Bad thing was i only had a light clay, xmt speed, so it took forever to get everything out!

Then i paid attention to the heavy scratches and paint transfers. After getting the paint transfers out with the wool pad, it was time to start on the deep scratches. I used 2000 grit sandpaper to get rid of it, then hit the wool pad again.

I wanted to try out the d151 and kompressor pads to see if the combo can get the compound marks off. Short answer was no, because of 2 reasons: 1. I had to use a more aggressive pad; and 2. m205 definitely has more cut than d151.

I just realized that i did not have a kompressor pad for the d105, wool or cyan +m105, tang/white kompressor + m205. I should've tried the tang with the d105, it would've surely been a better combo for my intended use. I'm trying to stay away from the HT pads eventhough these are my favorite pads, in my Makita because they're too small for my BP, hence the reason why i was trying out new type of pads.

D151 feedback:
    1. I like the consistency, very thick
    2. Great as a one-stepper (A wax cleaner), aggressiveness will depend on pad choice.
    3. Good working time.

Kompressor Pads feedback:
    1. I'm a HT nut, love those pads. They cut wonderfully and i have not experienced any of my HT pads dying out on me. They always deliver as expected. Now, when i tried out the kompressor pads for the first time, i was amazed on how easily this pad adapts to the shape of the panel. And best of all, this thing is SOOOO easy to control! So easy i tell you! It's almost like using a wool pad, that easy!

Now for the cut, i only purchased 6pack of whites, so no comment on cut yet. Will try to purchase more aggressive pads next timefor the d151.

2. It's weird but, the paint doesn't get hot on this pad as much as my other pads. I usually limit max speed on 2000rpm on wool and 1750 on foam pads depends on a lot of factors. If i were to rate my pads on heat build up, it would be:
    HT pads
    Flats
    SCS
    Wool
    Kompressor

I'll post pictures soon. I left the camera with my friend. Thanks for reading.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My weekend detail

instead of using a specific race ethnicity, how about saying a customer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post
    instead of using a specific race ethnicity, how about saying a customer.
    agreed ^, (shouldn't point out a specific race or ethnic group) that's like saying it was detailed by a hispanic, etc, etc, etc,...

Post Thanks / Like

I said Korean because he was not a local and it was not meant to be degrading at all. Nothing in my post indicates i was being racial. It was just a first, a first foreigner, that's all.

And i'm assuming you guys don't know me, nor know where i reside. I'm from the Philippines, a 3rd world country, one of the most corrupt nations in the world, and a very poor one for that matter. The customer was a Korean, a very pleasant person. I worked on his car for almost 10hrs, and made $60. I would be the last person in this forum to have the right to be a racist. Now, that does sound better to the both of you?

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you did a thorough job on his car and you must have had one happy camper when he saw his car!

Meguiar's D151 is a great 1-step product and has quite a following. I like its creamy consistency. Sometimes a little sanding it required and slow is better here.

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos.

A side note..

Identifying someone by their race or ethnicity is not racist.

The United States in it's attempt to cure the worlds ills through empathy or "group hug" has crated a generation that feels identifying someone that's black, white, red, yellow, Korean, German, or Russian is degrading..it is not, adding specific modifiers to these are a different story.

Remember; The Internet is global and because we do things a certain way in the US doesn't mean it right and the rest of the world is wrong...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

You're right Bobby. Thanks. I will no longer use nationality as a means to identify or describe people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rohnramirez View Post
    You're right Bobby. Thanks. I will no longer use nationality as a means to identify or describe people.
    I'd still like to see some photos!

I'm not sure where you're located however I'm from New England and to see some photos from a warmer area would certainly do me good right about now..

2 feet of snow in the ground here and when I woke this morning it was +5F....

Post Thanks / Like

not saying that you were being racial, but as suggested saying a "customer" would of been a better and more appropriate choice of wording. remember the internet has many different kinds of people/personalities all over, and you got to be careful on what you say these days...

Post Thanks / Like

My Weekend Detail,

by BobbyG

Everyone knows that during the winter it gets mighty cold and when the temp hit 35 degrees it's time to do some washing.

This time of year I'm not trying to accomplish a full detail but rather stem the tide of salt, sand, and contaminants so common where there's snow and ice.

I couldn't take sitting inside any longer so I mixed up a bucket of Optimum No Rinse wash and hot water then gave my truck a once over. I use a soft brush designed for washing a vehicles finish.

I carefully wash a couple of panels allowing the majority of the grime to dissolve and float off the finish. A second application of the wash floods this area again with fresh solution rinsing any remaining debris thoroughly.

Hot water dissolves grime more quickly and once clean evaporates more quickly as well.

A couple of Microfiber waffle towels do the drying and tales less than 10 minutes to dry the entire truck.

I think the total wash and dry just took me about 30 to 35 minutes.I didn't do the wheels and tires, that would have taken me an additional 30 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing some pics! And I'd have to agree with everyone else. Just play it safe and say customer. But as Bobby mentioned it's how things are done here in the US. Some times things are taken out of context, especially when it's being read. It's all about how something is interpreted by the reader. No harm done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast