autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My ONR and Fuzion Experience

I also use microfiber towels when I use ONR and vastly prefer them over mitts but I use the two bucket method. My car regularly gets ONR washes when it's dirtier than that and there hasn't been any scratches.

Though, I do spray down the dirtiest panels with a good amount of ONR/DP rinseless at QD dilution and let dwell about 30 seconds before I run the microfiber across them, switching sides of microfiber frequently. Theres been no marring on my paint using this method that I've been able to see.

Post Thanks / Like

What defines "too dirty".

Sometimes I like to play the devils advocate especially when questions pop up in a thread or post. Looking at things differently lets us evaluate our opinions or conclusions which just may sway our votes.

I've been reading this and lets say the car was "just" a bit too dirty. I tool a close look at the photo originally posted by Chris and then the advertisement photo under Optimum No Rinse.

What I see in Chris's photo is a very bright light illuminating the tire and the side of the car. A closer look also reveals allot of metallic flake in the paint which loves to reflect bright light.

Contamination

Road contaminates contain everything from sand crystals, salt, calcium, deicing chemicals, and everything in between. These tiny crystals also reflect light to a certain degree making the surface appear more dirty that may actually be.

Tire

The dried droplets of dirt and water are clearly visible but take a look at the tire. The photo shows the tire as a light gray, almost bleached out, again, lots of light.

I also suspect that some of the issue here regarding too dirty may be from the quality of the quality of the photo.

Chris

The Optimum No Rinse photo is sort of interesting as well. Keep in mind that these photos are intended to convince me and you to purchase their product.

When you look at the portion of the panel that's been cleaned it looks great, it's supposed to. Now take a good look at the portion of the panel below the side molding, pretty dirty if you ask me and not much different than Chris's photo above.

Optimum No Rinse

Now some say there's a learning curve with these rinse-less car washes but considering it's a car wash how much can that be?

Are these no rinse washes really well suited for washing or are these at more at home with a light dusting? Now no one in their right mind will use one of these products on a truck that's been off-road 4 wheeling or a car that's been driven through snow, sand, and salt for an hour.

The question that begs to be asked as I said is; "How dirty is too dirty"

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    The question that begs to be asked as I said is; "How dirty is too dirty"
    Have you read Mike's article on this?

How dirty is too dirty to safely use a rinseless wash?
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Have you read Mike's article on this?

How dirty is too dirty to safely use a rinseless wash?
    HA, no I haven't and I'm curious to what he has to say!

Thanks Shane!

Mike always does a first class job and this is no exception. He does point out some of the obvious boundaries of this product. After reading Mikes opinion my conclusion is Chris's example falls well within the boundaries of this product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    After a week of application I have found a big difference with Souveran and Fuzion in terms of dust attraction. Fuzion is now going to be my go to wax simply because it does not have the amazing dust attraction feature that Souveran has.
    Funny how some people have different experiences. I know there are a few here that say that they have dust attraction issues with Fuzion.

My experience is in line with yours: no problems with dust attraction from using Fuzion.

Post Thanks / Like

Love your Legacy man. Drive up to Minneapolis and have a Subaru get together! Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

One technical point should be noted about using ONR: don't dry the panel until you are sure you have removed all the dirt. I always go over each panel at least twice. If you find that your drying towel is getting dirty, even a little bit, then you are need to do more washing before drying.

At least in theory, the two-bucket method should not be necessary, as the ONR polymers allegedly encapsulate the dirt particles and take them to the bottom of the bucket.

I have used ONR on my black car numerous times. While I have sometimes had streaking on the glass, I have never had the kinds of problems on the paint that the OP did. I use a Lowe's grout sponge on the lower panels and a microfiber mitt on the rest of the car. I do occasionally take my car to the local coin-op when the car is particularly filthy and then follow up with an ONR rinse; but this is not my normal practice. I use two towels when drying--a plush microfiber towel and the ultra-soft Pak-Shak waffle-weave towel. I find that this combination effectively inhibits streaking.
    Last edited by akimel; 12-09-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put together ONR: The Definitive Thread a couple of years ago. search it. It has links to all this stuff. And I am with Aero & Old Tigg that unless it has mud u can ONR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    When you look at the portion of the panel that's been cleaned it looks great, it's supposed to. Now take a good look at the portion of the panel below the side molding, pretty dirty if you ask me and not much different than Chris's photo above.
    FYI, that bit below the side molding is actually the wheel-well liner. From a Hummer H2 I believe...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by efini View Post
    FYI, that bit below the side molding is actually the wheel-well liner. From a Hummer H2 I believe...
    Well I'll be.......you are correct!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast