autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uv test (11 different products)

I will bet on DG 531. I wanted to boost it with Polycharger H2O, but Corey wouldnt let me. Its my favorite on rubber seals. I havent used it on vinyl yet.. I like it better than 303 on rubber and I never used to think 303 could be beat. You concvertible boys know how critical those seals can be! Corey I think you may get it tomorrow.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the look of 303 at all and do not use it but I do think that it really stands up to its UV protection claims.

Post Thanks / Like

Corey, cut it out! That background dripping water sound made me have to go to the bathroom.

Cliff

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Corey thanks for taking the time to do it for us!

Now on a side note; if Corey dosen't cheat in favor of the Ultima, I'd bet my money on 303 for having the best UV protection.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    Are they fading yet?
    Not that I can tell

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    I will bet on DG 531. I wanted to boost it with Polycharger H2O, but Corey wouldnt let me. Its my favorite on rubber seals. I havent used it on vinyl yet.. I like it better than 303 on rubber and I never used to think 303 could be beat. You convertible boys know how critical those seals can be! Corey I think you may get it tomorrow.
    Jim, you really convinced me on the DG 531 and I'm looking forward to getting some on my top seals. As much as Sky likes to go topless we gotta keep those seals in fine shape for when its on!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffnopus View Post
    Corey, cut it out! That background dripping water sound made me have to go to the bathroom.

Cliff
    Thats my pool. I'll be sure to shoot the update in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    Now on a side note; if Corey dosen't cheat in favor of the Ultima, I'd bet my money on 303 for having the best UV protection.
    Love yourself Tad

I'll be putting another coat of Ultima on every 12 hours for the next 6 months

(For those with no sense of humor, I'm kidding)
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the updates, Corey!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates? I just saw this one now, it's an interesting test.
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Mike Phillips

Somehow missed this thread when it was posted... interesting idea for the test... couple of comments...

1. Placing the vinyl inside the car would be real world but wouldn't test the UV protection to it's max ability since the glass will block some of the UV inhibitors.

2. I owned a house with a busy road next to one side, each week I would mow the lawn next to the road. In the process I would pick up all the garbage people throw out their windows. One weekend I picked up a traditional red, white and blue 32 ounce wax/paper Pepsi cup. the side that was down had all of it's color, the side that was exposed to the sun was extremely faded. Point being that since I picked up all the junk the weekend before, theoretically the cup could have only laid their for approximately 7 days, maybe less. It drove home the point as to just how strong the UV rays are from the sun to something with no protection, (a cheap, disposable paper cup). The same UV rays beam down on all the things we own that come with protection built-in, for example your car's clear layer of paint, and their ability to resist fading is actually pretty impressive.

If it were me doing the test, I would place it outside in the sun every day, this would accelerate the testing.

Also just to note, I think people forget that technology has changed a lot in the last 20, 30, years... when talking about UV protection, most people conjure up thoughts of cracked dashes on the cars of the 1970's, even 1980's, but you don't see the cracking problem with dashes like we did during those years, in fact I can't think of a car from the 1990's or 2000's that has a cracked dash like we saw on cars in the 1970's and 1980's and my guess is that plastic technology has improved as well as car care products.

FWIW

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input Mike. I agree and came to the same conclusion about keeping it outside. I tried to keep it outside but every night I would bring it inside so water/dew didn't get on it. This became a major time killer to my daily schedule and on really busy days with little sleep I would forget about it before I left for work. I think after about a week or something I ended up keeping it in my car. The glass cuts down on the vast majority of the rays. If I had kept it outside this whole time (to answer Matt's question) we would have some updates for sure by now. Also I should have started the test in the middle of spring. Another problem with the (inside car) method is depending on where the sun is some parts of the test panel are shaded. I rotate it once a week but thats hardly complete control since the sun location changes and so does the weather. I also have to park away from the building at work this time of the year or the building blocks the sun. Never thought I would intentionally park in the sun...

I have some pics I took last week (Jim reminded me to post some) I'll post them today. One issue though is that the results we see today don't necessarily show which was protected best. Since there is still "something left behind" we don't know for sure if the material itself is faded underneath. At the end of the test I will strip the sheet and take pictures for the final test but thats a long way off.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool test Corey, looking forward to the results. And as always thanks for taking the time and sharing with us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast