autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimums Opti-Coat

Well I finally got a chance to try this "coating" system. I received a syringe with 10cc's of this clear product and a blue super then plastic tip. I am not sure if this was a full tube since Jason was kind enough to send to me, but certainly have enough left for at least one very large Suburban also.

So anyhoo I washed up the daily driver this morning and went to town using some of Menzerna's best polishes. After a second wash and IPA wipe down I felt the finish was in best shape for some bonding. I took out a new foam applicator, twisted on the blue tip to syringe and went to work. The fluid comes up very slowly and tip is well dedicated for using very little of the product. I found the product not very slippery but found no trouble in applying. I put several very small drops and started wiping in straight lines as possible.

Over the 1st 1/2 the car I used very little and really was shocked at how quickly it disappeared into paint with no haze. It reacts similar to Opti-seal but nowhere near as slick or glossy. It really looks completely clear when it dries and only shows the slightest of effect while applying. All extra or overlap was easily buffed off with dry MF towel around 10-15 minutes later. I applied on some plastic trim to measure its claims and on sunroof but skipped most other glass since its previously coated with Aquapel. I even used on chrome trim without issue, just a little buff if overapplied.

Unfortunately I got a little brazen since the first side looked so good and dried so quickly. (I also grabbed the Opti-seal to do the wheels as I wanted to see/feel the difference, and again Opti-seal is much more slick feeling immediately). I over applied on the 2nd side in more than one instance but it still buffed off rather well and quickly. It seemed much more user friendly than I assumed.

After allowing the car to sit in the hot Florida 90 degree weather all day it looks quite crisp and clean. I did unfortunately find a couple over application marks on hood that was not noticed and removed. It is indeed more of a coating than a sealant as wiping nor using a detail spray made any difference. (I didnt think it would, but still needed to try just to clear my mind). So tomorrow I think I'll quick polish the hood with 085rd and see if it removes coating and then replace once hood looks acceptable. I hope to do so outside of direct heat as I suspect this is why it wasnt originally noted and then seen this evening. (perhaps it flash dried to quickly).

I have no idea the durability but the claims seem quite rewarding. Even one year with nothing more than standard washes and some detail sprays would be nice on a car sitting outside 24/7, three years is just to much to ask.

My wife thinks car still looks better than when we bought it and thought the coating was much easier on our day versus the standard apply wait and buff off deal. She got to spend a couple hours at BedBathBeyond versus in the driveway. She thinks the new WOWA sealants (and now coatings) are much more in tune with two children and all the errands they bring. All in all so far I am pleased with these newer coating systems and really see the merit in them.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimums Opti-Coat

Nice review. Will be interested to see your follow up posts on how well this holds up.

Post Thanks / Like

that stuff is not on AG or optimums website.. what is it?
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

I wish you guys would stop taunting us with reviews of this product that we can't get and AG doesn't sell, anyway.

While I'm ranting, the rationale that this can't be sold to the general public lest they mess up their paint, really doesn't hold water. I can go down to Wal-Mart and buy any number of readily available products to mess up my paint, including rubbing compound, crudely applied brush or spray touchup, sandpaper, and hey, what about that Scotchbrite "no scratch" sponge to take some bugs off?

The other (under)stated rationale is to maintain a niche for selected professional detailers with an exclusive market to this product. Unless Optimum really can't produce enough of this to satisfy a larger market, I find it hard to imagine how selling ~$100 syringes of limited shelf-life sealant to a small number of enthusiasts is going to cut into that pro-detailer exclusive market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraa View Post
    that stuff is not on AG or optimums website.. what is it?
    Its a professional use only product. You have to contact Optimum and be able to qualify to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know if you cna get to it with the 85rd. I just did our truck and will have to re-do a few panels (just haven't found time yet!). I applied it to everything, and forgot to buff off within the few minutes in some areas. The side view mirrors were terrible the next day. I wiped with Mineral Spirits and a rough cotton towel and it took 3 tries to get it off. The chrome bumpers had the same issue, but the mineral spirits did nothing to the coating. So polishing it will be Just in a few weeks...

Although this stuff is easy to use, it is way to hard for most DIYers out there. But I think most of the people on AutoGeek would probably be able to use it

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great review Scott!

Setec, while I tend to agree with you to a point you should call Optimum and see if you can sign off on something to get some for yourself. I think probably since this product specifically states to be used on paint it comes with more liability then something like sandpaper that doesn't specifically state to apply to your paint. Probably even some lawyering was involved with the decision on Optimums part. I bet they just have to have the end user sign off on it.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I see. I think it's stupid. Anyways, why would I want to apply a 100$ protection that's suppose to last 3 years to a customer? I prefer to put Klasse that last 6 months and every 1 or half year, he comes back for a clay+ sealant treatment. And for ourself, we, at AG, detailing maniac, you think we wouldn't polish-detail every year our cars for a refresh haha? It's Ok, optimum can keep their secret formula for themself
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

Scott..I've tested it too against Aquartz on my Infiniti FX35. I had missed a small mark and discovered it several days later (under the side mirror). I took a mf with some DG 501 and it removed it effortlessly and still retained its qualities. Don't reach for your Menzerna quite yet bud. Try DG 501 first. The other observation I made was in terms of slickness, it improved after a day or two. I have now tested Opti Coat, Aquartz and Cquartz. I can provide links to the tests if anyone is interested, although they are not on this forum. Since you can't buy it here, I did not post it here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Setec, while I tend to agree with you to a point you should call Optimum and see if you can sign off on something to get some for yourself. I bet they just have to have the end user sign off on it.
    Nope, went through this on another board. You have to have a TIN, plus sign the waiver, and perhaps be grilled on your WOWA experience. I guess maybe part of it is that if you've got to spend a half hour on the phone with each user making sure they put it on right, you don't want to have a lot of users. I guess I could understand it if there was a franchise fee involved, that would make a lot more sense given the description of the intended marketing and the companion interior product.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast