autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimums Opti-Coat

Quote Originally Posted by cobraa View Post
    Ok. so you prefer to sell a product that last ''3 years'' at 100$ or a jar of fuzion at 175$ that last 4 month? You are making more money with a jar of fuzion .
    Say the product does cost $100 but you don't use the entire syringe on the car. Just like you are paying $175 for a jar of Fuzion, that doesn't mean you use the entire jar. It's a simple concept really, whatever you charge for wax that lasts 3-4 months, you increase that price for a sealant that lasts 6-9 months, and for a coating that can last 1-3 years you mark it up even more.

Post Thanks / Like

Then, I guess it depends on how the environemment feel about it. Here, in canada, because of winter. people drives their summer car 6 month sometimes even least. They are not ready to shelf 2500 for something.

See the skyline I did in my signature. I charged 500$ for this. There's like 25 hours of labour. Different mentality. that it.

So, I must apoligize, I was wrong. there's a market for this product but not where I live.
    If you are only generating $20 per hour ($500/25hours), you may rethink your target demographic. Then, with improved skills, products, and marketing you set the price...not the area's market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail View Post
    If you are only generating $20 per hour ($500/25hours), you may rethink your target demographic. Then, with improved skills, products, and marketing you set the price...not the area's market.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

We don't think the same. I'm a student. I prefer to make 20$/hour detailing car,be my own boss and decide when I want to work than working at the grocery store or any student boring job and make less.

But some of you can't understand how it's to live in a country where 6 months out of 12 the weather is near 0 or above. People just doesn't care anymore about hoe their car looks. they want heater and that it.

Anyways, it's getting way out of topic. let's stop there.
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

We don't think the same. I'm a student. I prefer to make 20$/hour detailing car,be my own boss and decide when I want to work than working at the grocery store or any student boring job and make less.

But some of you can't understand how it's to live in a country where 6 months out of 12 the weather is near 0 or above. People just doesn't care anymore about hoe their car looks. they want heater and that it.

Agreed, your last post cleared up a lot. Detailing as a job is much different than detailing as a Profession.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, it started out with this statement talking about how you think Opti-coat is stupid:

I see. I think it's stupid. Anyways, why would I want to apply a 100$ protection that's suppose to last 3 years to a customer? I prefer to put Klasse that last 6 months and every 1 or half year, he comes back for a clay+ sealant treatment. And for ourself, we, at AG, detailing maniac, you think we wouldn't polish-detail every year our cars for a refresh haha? It's Ok, optimum can keep their secret formula for themself
    To this statement after we explain marketing to you:

If you are happy with the type of work you do, then continue doing so. It's all about what makes you happy. If you can continue making $20/hr on each detail and you are thrilled about doing the work, then you're set.

Back to the marketing, you have a golden opportunity to market this coating to people given the fact that the temps. are too low and they will be less interested in performing a normal car wash. You need to explain to them that with this coating their car is still protected even when they run through the occasional automatic car wash that typically destroys wax. So when the weather is nice enough for a typical wash routine, it will be easier and won't require quite as much scrubbing. If they bring the car to you, then it will make your maintenance wash easier. But I guess since it's a stupid product then you're not interested in all the benefits for both you and the customer. Sorry to make an attempt to help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Ok, it started out with this statement talking about how you think Opti-coat is stupid:

To this statement after we explain marketing to you:

If you are happy with the type of work you do, then continue doing so. It's all about what makes you happy. If you can continue making $20/hr on each detail and you are thrilled about doing the work, then you're set.

Back to the marketing, you have a golden opportunity to market this coating to people given the fact that the temps. are too low and they will be less interested in performing a normal car wash. You need to explain to them that with this coating their car is still protected even when they run through the occasional automatic car wash that typically destroys wax. So when the weather is nice enough for a typical wash routine, it will be easier and won't require quite as much scrubbing. If they bring the car to you, then it will make your maintenance wash easier. But I guess since it's a stupid product then you're not interested in all the benefits for both you and the customer. Sorry to make an attempt to help you.

I simply think klasse or Collonite 476 will do as fine this winter and when spring comes, they will come back for a wash routine like you said. Actually, I don't think, I test it last year on 3 different cars and both products does last the 6 months.
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

My father helps run a local Nissan dealership. About 25-30% of every car sold goes out with paint protection at a cost of several hundred dollars. These products are no better than most paint sealants (not coatings) and dont last longer than 6 months but fall back on the protection built into paint and clearcoat systems.

Now if by marketing the can move these coatings into place of the sealants, you'd still have around a 200-300% markup, possibly meet the actual warranty offered, but getting the client to understand the differences over going with dealer would take time and effort.

Funny side note, actual paint protection sales goes up as the customers age does. So coating systems "might" make more sense for older clients that likely have less time and can understand and afford the benefits of a coating versus a synthetic wax application.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    My father helps run a local Nissan dealership. About 25-30% of every car sold goes out with paint protection at a cost of several hundred dollars. These products are no better than most paint sealants (not coatings) and dont last longer than 6 months but fall back on the protection built into paint and clearcoat systems.

Now if by marketing the can move these coatings into place of the sealants, you'd still have around a 200-300% markup, possibly meet the actual warranty offered, but getting the client to understand the differences over going with dealer would take time and effort.
    But a dealer would never go for a product that costs $100 for a syringe, that's way too rich for them, and even if it does 4 cars...there's the chance that the min. wage sealant jockey uses the whole syringe on one car. At $25 a car that's 5 times what the sealant product costs them now, so they won't be interested, IMO. Besides, since that sealant jockey is likely less capable than the average forum member, he's likely to screw up the Opti-Coat and it will look worse than when he started.

Bottom line IMO is dealers will have no interest in this product, it's for the Anthony Oroscos of this world who can sell a several hundred to several thousand dollar correction/preservation package.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    But a dealer would never go for a product that costs $100 for a syringe, that's way too rich for them, and even if it does 4 cars...there's the chance that the min. wage sealant jockey uses the whole syringe on one car. At $25 a car that's 5 times what the sealant product costs them now, so they won't be interested, IMO. Besides, since that sealant jockey is likely less capable than the average forum member, he's likely to screw up the Opti-Coat and it will look worse than when he started.

Bottom line IMO is dealers will have no interest in this product, it's for the Anthony Oroscos of this world who can sell a several hundred to several thousand dollar correction/preservation package.
    Oh I agree wholehardedly, Its not the dealer that is going to use it. It would be the professional detailer that sells the benefit of a coating to current clients and getting them in tune to decline the dealer and take the coating system at same price for better and longer protection when they purchase next unit. (and hopefully using it on current car too)

-------------------------
    I asked for a little dew or rain to see what/if the beading effect looks like. Well we are now 12 hours into a Tropical Depression and likely another 10-12 hours of rain coming. (oops)

Scott

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast