autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: DP Gloss Tire Gel (New Formula-Blind Review)

Review: DP Gloss Tire Gel (New Formula-Blind Review)

Introduction:
    This review is different then most, as we are reviewing not only the new formula of DP but also the new formula of DP with Polycharger added by Old Tiger. To contrast we will also show DP old formula (O) in the review so you can see the side by side improvements of the new formula. What makes this review more exciting then most is it is a partially blind review. The credit for the product and the idea of a blind review goes to
    Jim (Old Tiger). Thank you Jim! Last week he sent me a sample of DP Tire Gel (New formula) and also sent me a sample of the new formula with polycharger added. Jim did not tell me which is which. He simply marked a line on one of the bottles, which after receiving I labeled as “(A)”. The other I labeled as “(B)”.
    Being that this is a blind review I slightly modified the standard structure I use. The “Initial Product Observations”, “Product Description”, etc. will refer to the new Formula of DP Gloss Tire Gel (as currently sold) unless specifically noted.

Initial Product Observations:
    1.- Manufacturer Claims: True (Durability testing in progress) (Not tested on interiors)

2.- Packaging: Plastic bottle with a snap up cap
    3.- Directions: Simple
    4.- Consistency:
    Just right (thick but not goopy) (thicker then the old formula)

5.- Color: White
    6.- Scent: Fresh and Minty
    7.- Size: 32 oz.
    8.- Current Price: $15.99 (5-10$ cheaper then the old formula)
    9.- Price Per oz: $0.50 (based on 32 oz. bottle)
    10 – Also Available in: 128 oz.
    11.- Manufacturer: Detailers Pride
    12.- Made in: USA

Additional products used for prep, during application, or removal:
    1.- Amazing Roll Off

2.- Tire Brush
    3.- Cobra Tire Swipe
    4.- Eagle One tire swipe

Product Description (from AG website):
    DP Gloss Tire Gel is a long-lasting rubber dressing and protectant that gives tires a sleek, subtle shine. The durable polymer formula contains powerful UV blockers and ozone protectants to keep tires, wheels wells, and rubber trim looking like new. DP Gloss Tire Gel can be used on any rubber or vinyl surface

Method of Preparation:
    I washed the wheels with ARO and allowed to dry.

Method of Application, and noted Observations:
    Using separate tire applicators I applied product as follows:
    (O) ---- Passenger side front wheel
    (A) ---- Passenger side rear wheel
    (B) ---- Driver side rear wheel
    On the drivers side front wheel I applied all 3 products. Each product was applied to approximately 33% of the tire. I only applied 1 coat of each but you can add more then 1 coat leaving 30 minutes between each coat.
    The new formula of DP Tire Gel (A and B) is less glossy and less greasy then the old formula. It went on easily and produced a very nice finish. While (A) and (B) both applied similarly the (A) formula seemed just the tiniest bit thicker. (A) definitely produced a slightly darker finish then (B). It’s slight enough that its not very noticeable on different tires but side by side you will see it. Both look great and did not require much product at all. I think (B) scent is slightly stronger.
    The old formula is a little runnier but is also very easy to apply and goes a long way. There is a huge difference in gloss between the old and new formula. However with the old formula the gloss could be controlled. You could keep it glossy or lower the gloss. During application the clouds started rolling in and threatened to derail this review. Not sure what the effect would be of rain on the products without them having 30 minutes to cure… Luckily just a few drops fell on my freshly washed paint… There was no issue for the tire gel review. After maybe 30 minutes or an hour I came back and rubbed my fingers across the applied areas of each product. On (A) and (B) there was nothing on my fingers. On (O) there was definitely product on my finger. For those that would like to see this on video here you go. I used a white paper towel to accentuate the results.

Please see the pictures and rejoin me afterwards to see the listed Pros, Cons, and Summary.

01.- Cleaning

02.- Cleaning

03.- After

04.- After

05.- Products (Note the DP in bottle pictured here is the old formula)

06.- Product A

07.- Product A (zoom 2)

08.- Product A (zoom 3)

09.- Product B

10.- Product B (zoom 2)

11.- Product B (zoom 3)

12.- Product O (Old formula)

13.- Product O (zoom 2) (Old formula)

14.- Product O (zoom 3) (Old formula)

15.- Uh Oh!

16.- Side by Side by Side

17.- A & B (side by side)

18- O & A (side by side)

19- B & O (side by side)

20- That’s where I’m headed next!

21- Luckily this was all the rain we got

22- The Camera woman - blame her

Pros:
    1.- Very nice satin finish (Really nice and dry to the touch)

2 – Small amount goes a long way
    3.- Versatility (Can be applied to interior vinyl or to rubber trim) Not tested yet

Cons
    1.- For those who like really glossy tires you will be missing out

???:
    1.- Can’t wait to see Old Tiger fill us in on which one was polycharged!

2.- Durability results to follow over the next 1-2 months. The vehicle that was used is a daily driver for my wife and sees plenty of weather.

3.- I have to try this new DP formula side by side with Opti-Bond. Opti-Bond had become my favorite of the two but I think I like the new DP more. To see some picks of the Opti Bond click here: Review-Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Final Observations and Summary:

I really like the new DP tire gel! It’s very impressive to me how dry the tires are with a nice finish. As such there shouldn’t be any dirt sticking to them. It seems that while the price went down the product has improved as well. The current price is equal to that of Opti Bond. It should be noted that the old formula of DP can be wiped down 30 minutes after application if you want to lower the level of gloss. I hope you enjoy and I look forward to any comments or criticism. Be sure to thank Jim for providing the product and the idea.

And the product link: DP Gloss Tire Gel penetrates deep below the surface to hydrate and refresh dull, dry rubber.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: DP Gloss Tire Gel (New Formula-Blind Review)

Great review Cory! (as always)
    I just tried the DP Tire Gel (think i have the new one I just got it on the DP BOGO) and really like it. I applied 2 coats on Labor Day and it still looks great today and my car has been driven almost everyday since. I did notice one thing and you might be experiencing it too (I noticed you have Firestone and Uniroyal). I have different brand tires front and rear on my car and one looks much glossier with the DP than the other and I cleaned and applied exactly the same on all tires. So I think different tires, different rubber, different results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Great review Cory! (as always)
    I just tried the DP tire gel too and really like it. I applied 2 coats on Labor Day and it still looks great today and my car has been driven almost everyday since. I did notice one thing and you might be experiencing it too (I noticed you have Firestone and Uniroyal). I have different brand tires front and rear on my car and one looks much glossier with the DP than the other and I cleaned and applied exactly the same on all tires. So I think different tires, different rubber, different results.
    Thank you!

You are correct, I have one uniroyal on that car. Interestingly enough it is the only one that doesn't have any kind of the new formula on it. Just by complete coincidence the Uniroyal ended up being the one with Old formula DP. All 3 other tires are Firestone.

Thanks for the informative feedback! That's just what we need

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This treatment looks great in the pics.

My question is whether this stuff is prone to mixing with brake dust, road grime, and road moisture and then spinning a greasy film onto the wheels and side of the car after driving for a while.

I have been lecturing my BMW dealer for years to train "that guy" that preps new cars with cheap products out behind the service shop not to use heavy tire shine/silicone on new cars because it makes a dirty mess. BMW wheels are notoriously hard to keep clean and I hate adding anything that mixes grease and brake dust. After those experiences, I haven't been willing to put anything on my tires.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a dry or matte-finish tire treatment that won't make an ungodly mess?

Post Thanks / Like

Well the boosted sample is.... drum roll... B. I think the interesting part of the test will be seeing if Polycharger H2O will add durability as claimed. Corey your conclusions about the new DP correspond with mine regarding Opti Bond. I never had the old DP but loved Opti Bond. The new DP dries better and IMO looks very similar to Opti. I gave the Opti to my son and havent looked back. IME both DP & Boosted DP are more durable than Opti. Water beads on the tire, I have Michelins on both vehicles so I dont see much difference. Anybody looking for a nice durable non sling tire gel should strongly consider the new DP. Well done Corey! Thank you for validating my opinion of this great new product!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernVaBMW View Post

My question is whether this stuff is prone to mixing with brake dust, road grime, and road moisture and then spinning a greasy film onto the wheels and side of the car after driving for a while.

I have been lecturing my BMW dealer for years to train "that guy" that preps new cars with cheap products out behind the service shop not to use heavy tire shine/silicone on new cars because it makes a dirty mess. BMW wheels are notoriously hard to keep clean and I hate adding anything that mixes grease and brake dust. After those experiences, I haven't been willing to put anything on my tires.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a dry or matte-finish tire treatment that won't make an ungodly mess?
    IME it dries to a nice DRY satin finish that isnt going to sling or attract the infamous euro brake dust. When its time to replace them I highly recommend Hawk Performance Brake Pads. Best performing pad Ive ever used and its low dusting too. Anyway try the DP and say goodbye to sling!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    IME it dries to a nice DRY satin finish that isnt going to sling or attract the infamous euro brake dust. When its time to replace them I highly recommend Hawk Performance Brake Pads. Best performing pad Ive ever used and its low dusting too. Anyway try the DP and say goodbye to sling!
    Thanks. I will try this and let everyone know how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernVaBMW View Post

I completely agree with Old Tiger. There is no way that this product is going to sling at all. The Opti Bond shouldn't either but this new DP you can't even get a trace of residue when you wipe it with your finger. Did you see the video?

Well the boosted sample is.... drum roll... B. I think the interesting part of the test will be seeing if Polycharger H2O will add durability as claimed. Corey your conclusions about the new DP correspond with mine regarding Opti Bond. I never had the old DP but loved Opti Bond. The new DP dries better and IMO looks very similar to Opti. I gave the Opti to my son and havent looked back. IME both DP & Boosted DP are more durable than Opti. Water beads on the tire, I have Michelins on both vehicles so I dont see much difference. Anybody looking for a nice durable non sling tire gel should strongly consider the new DP. Well done Corey! Thank you for validating my opinion of this great new product!
    Wow! I love the blind test! Not sure if I posted it or ended up deleting that part but I had written that B was slightly more minty smelling and A was thicker. With the A leaving a slightly darker finish I thought A was the polycharged one! I thought maybe it had thickened the formula. I thought polycharging the tire gel was a really cool idea. I had never considered such a thing. Looking forward to the durability findings! Thanks again Jim!
    B = Polycharged

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

So what specifically was added to Sample B to make it "Polycharged"?

PS: Thanks for the great review!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to both Corey for his excellent review and Jim's suggestions and comments. I will definately order some of the DP tire gel to try.

I get a black substance on my wash mitt when washing my tires even when I use Opti-Bond. This is after a heavy scrubbing with a tire brush. I also see it when wiping the tires down after Opti application. Maybe I'm not getting the tires completely clean of bimmer brake dust but I was impressed by Corey's wipe test. Is that partially due to the Amazing Roll Off or a very cool property of the DP?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast