autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher - Extreme Demo - Warning!

bringing up an old thread...

my order from autogeek came in last night and one of the items was this polisher.

I added to the polisher the following
    Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Foam Interface Pad, foam backup pad, sanding disc interface
    Meguiars Unigrit Finishing Discs, paint finishing discs, Meguiars finishing grit discs

i've been playing with the hood on truck in the garage and will snap a few photos tonight.

the other use has been for head lamps!
    the 3" foam backing pad allowed the sanding disc to form over extra curves of the lamps i worked on, and made the process faster and easier than sanding by hand. *dont get me wrong, there are lamps that will require a lower grit paper to complete, but the 3000 did the job for this last set.

great purchase!
    thanks griot's!
    chris<pixelmonkey>

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher - Extreme Demo - Warning!

Quote Originally Posted by pixelmonkey View Post

my order from autogeek came in last night and one of the items was this polisher.
    You'll find other handy uses without looking too hard. I apply LSPs with a 4" Crimson HT (about the only thing 4" pads will be useful for) Nice for a quick n easy 1-handed application.

3" GG pad with 205 cleaned up the fiberglass shower surround and tub in the Master bath spectacularly. Makes quick work of an Opti Seal application on glass bathroom panels if you have a lot of area to cover.

Handy for light glass polishing on vehicles as well.

3" pads are few and far between despite LC making everything in 3" sizes, nobody carries 'em. AG has 3.5" PFW that I've found useful on some jobs. They also carry a nice light blue 3M finishing pad that works excellent on this polisher. The purple 3M cutting pad is scary abrasive-feeling. I haven't summoned the courage to try it on anything yet. Richard Lin, the Black Wow guy, carries 3.5" LC orange and white CCS pads on his ShowCarDetailing site.

TL

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I was wondering why AG only sells the orange and red pads in 3 inch? I don't see any white or black pads in 3 inch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dragster View Post
    Mike how do you think it would work for sanding headlights?
    Going to offer this service next year and try to come up with a system. I don't won't to use air. I don't have room for a large compressor in my truck.
    Thanks for any info Jim
    I do headlight restorations fairly often and I use my 1st Gen PC to sand the headlights as the first step to remove the failed coating, it works fairly well for me. I run it between speed 4-5.

Mike Phillips

I added to the polisher the following
    Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Foam Interface Pad, foam backup pad, sanding disc interface
    Meguiars Unigrit Finishing Discs, paint finishing discs, Meguiars finishing grit discs
    You definitely want the 3" foam interface for sanding.

the other use has been for head lamps!
    the 3" foam backing pad allowed the sanding disc to form over extra curves of the lamps i worked on, and made the process faster and easier than sanding by hand. *dont get me wrong, there are lamps that will require a lower grit paper to complete, but the 3000 did the job for this last set.

great purchase!
    thanks griot's!
    chris<pixelmonkey>

Very cool Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post

You'll find other handy uses without looking too hard. I apply LSPs with a 4" Crimson HT (about the only thing 4" pads will be useful for) Nice for a quick n easy 1-handed application.
    Completley agree... see how we applied wax in this thread...

1987 Monte Carlo Extreme Makeover with Rupes and Blackfire BlackICE

Machine waxing...

Chris laying down some BlackICE...

Frank and Craig machine waxing...

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post

Mike, I was wondering why AG only sells the orange and red pads in 3 inch? I don't see any white or black pads in 3 inch?

Good question... I don't know why but I'm sure there's a reason.

Mabye start a dedicated thead asking for AG to bring these in? Other forum members do this for products they would like to see Autogeek.net carry...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been telling people for months this polisher is great and so many people bash it. I use it every time I do paint correction and have never had a problem correcting any kind of paint. Thanks for doing the demo mike proves my point I've been saying for awhile know.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I've been telling people for months this polisher is great and so many people bash it. I use it every time I do paint correction and have never had a problem correcting any kind of paint. Thanks for doing the demo mike proves my point I've been saying for awhile know.

At a couple of car shows in the past I use the 3" mini polisher to remove sanding marks live.

One thing you never want to do live in front of people is tell them you're going to do something and then not do it in front of their very eyes.

It's important to use perfect technique though...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing results! i know how difficult is to remove the tracers with a DA, can't imagine how difficult would be, using the gg mini.

I have a question: would you use the feathersanding technique for deep tracers ? i found some tracers (even if i really try to finish carefully with nikken 3000, ) to be really difficult to remove, and i don't want to remove more paint in other parts which are already "tracers-free".

Thanks for any feedback.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123