autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash process products review

First-time-use products up for review: DP Auto Bath Shampoo, Finish Kare 425 and Cobra's The Guzzler.

Others used: ONR, Megs APC+, LC Blue Grout sponges, Grit Guard.

I must say that my review of the DP shampoo is actually a review of DP shampoo plus a cap full of ONR (as has been regular practice since I first used ONR). Also, it is the first non OTC wash I have used besides CG Citrus Wash and Clear, which I only use to strip LSP's (so IMO it doesn't count as a regular wash soap)

DP-
    Smells like a banana smoothie-colada. The wash mixture of 2oz DP and a cap full of ONR felt very "soft" letting the LC sponges glide across the surface with a secure feeling of safety against swirls. The very substantial suds hung around even as the car was rained on. There was no stuck-on bugs or bird bombs etc. to test any real cleaning ability, but the car was really dirty and i feel it performed quite well. I am VERY happy with this wash combo.

The car was dirty enough to warrant the use of the Three Bucket Wash System. Bucket 3 and extra sponges only being used for lowers then unpainted areas.

I like to pretend I have a foam cannon by squeezing suds out across the car to dwell.

It was raining out while I washed so regardless of using the sheeting method there was a lot of water to dry after pulling into the garage. This made for a great first test of Cobra's WW.

Guzzler-
    The first WW's I ever used were cheap Home Depot ones, I was impressed and immediately knew I HAD to get some Cobra WW's. The difference is huge, Cobra Superior WW's feel very safe on the paint, unlike the HD WW, and will hold a larger amount of water as well. It's amazing how much water you will wring out of a wet WW. The size of the towel is very convenient, being so long allows for multiple folds and refolds exposing a clean side after wringing out. These are excellent drying towels.

Edit: Within the first few swipes I snagged the towel on a piece of trim that has pulled threads on all my cheap WW's leaving them with long hanging loops of thread and bunched up areas. This DID NOT happen when the Cobra hit the snag

FK 425-
    Smells like Bubble gum-cotton candy. I was pretty anxious to try this stuff. I read that some people found it finicky if over applied, wanting to try it as a drying aid, I took this into consideration. I lightly misted each section working my way around drying with the Cobra WW. It felt great, wiping off clean and smooth quickly and I did not find it to be streaky at all. It became clear pretty quick that the car was going to look great when I finished. The paint was left feeling slick as can be. I am VERY happy with the results from FK 425, if the rain would ever stop I could test it's "anti-static" properties...

After w/o flash

w/ flash

Over all I have no real negative remarks towards any of the reviewed products. All were a pleasure to use and preformed exceptionally well. I hope that doesn't make for a lame review!
    Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 11-22-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added WW comments, fixed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash process products review

Great review.
    Why do you add ONR with your DP shampoo ?
    I'm always using a QD after I have wash and dry the car...what is the point of using QD while you're drying the car ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheGLL View Post
    Great review.
    Why do you add ONR with your DP shampoo ?
    I'm always using a QD after I have wash and dry the car...what is the point of using QD while you're drying the car ?
    Adding an oz. of ONR to the Auto bath adds extra lubricants, making the wash solution even more slick. Basically same principle with using QD while drying; it adds lubricants to help protect the paint while drying... Both GOOD things to do!

BTW, GREAT review...good job!
    Last edited by DARK HORSE; 11-22-2009 at 12:44 PM.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, it's the constant battle against swirls...

I add ONR to my regular soap bucket for a couple reasons. The polymers in ONR are intended to encapsulate dirt particles protecting from swirls. They also make the dirt in the wash bucket sink faster, increasing the effectiveness of the Grit Guard. Plus any added slickness, paint protection or gloss is always good. Even though it was my first use of DP Auto Bath, I added ONR out of good habit.

I'm pretty new to using a QD as a "drying aid", but the idea is to add some lubrication while wiping the paint dry. I really like the process, and the car is both dried and QD'd at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers, really interesting.
    Another thing to try!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this information. Really good!
    Also Great that you Quit Smoking!!! That has to be difficult!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    I like to pretend I have a foam cannon by squeezing suds out across the car to dwell.
    Cracked me up buddy!

Good review. Thank You.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Blevins View Post
    Cracked me up buddy!DLB

Update- I am thoroughly impressed with the results of FK 425. After a couple days of driving, avoiding rain, there was a very minimal amount of dust on my car. The other day I was driving through a dusty road work area (as usual), the lady holding the Stop/Slow sign complimented me on my shiny car. Little does she know the amount of work it takes to get a finish that is then so easy to take care of! (or does she?)

Then, just for fun, I washed, IPA wipe down, Max Wax via Flex w/ LC Blue and re-topped with FK 425. Looks great! After driving in heavy rain, when I pulled into the garage the car was nearly dry. Only major water left was on the lower half of the doors. Also have received 3 more compliments since waxing and topping w/ FK 425. Coincidence? I don't know, I keep my car clean, but FK has gotten me, among others

<--This is how I feel.
    Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 11-29-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use FK-425 as my QD and to amp up the shine on my black car and can also say