autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

303 Fabric Guard

I have been using Raggtop fabric protectant for a while but I was never a fan of the aerosol application since it got into every nook and cranny other than the fabric it was intended for.

Anyways, I decided to try 303 Fabric Guard for the black convertible top on my 1996 Saab 900. I sprayed it on liberally about 12 inches from the edges of the top to avoid the majority of overspray. I then got a small paint brush and brushed it into the rest of the top, including into the folds of the fabric.

I let it dry overnight and came to a nice, pitch black top! I immediately went to try out its water repellency and was absolutely amazed. I hosed the top down and it was dry since not a single drop of water was allowed to get into the fabric. I have never seen beading like that, although I won't have a durability report for a while since the car never sees rain and is always garaged.

Pros:

-somewhat easy to use
    -top notch protection
    -looks great, restores some color to darker tops
    -amazing water repellency

Cons:

-make sure you have some time to let it dry
    -wipe it off immediately if it gets on your paint, windows, or trim
    -a little time consuming to apply with a brush into the smaller areas

Conclusion:

I am very happy I switched to 303 Fabric Guard, having been very happy with their protectant for a long time!
    Last edited by christian900se; 10-08-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 303 Fabric Guard

Great review! Thank you- I too hate that aerosol. I have to tape off with garbage bags my entire Skybaby before I can spray her top. I love 303 as well and already bought some of the fabric gaurd for the top. I am going to finish off the raggtop container first though... One more application and then I can move onto the non-aerosol 303.
    Can you post an update to this a few months from now to let us know how it hold up? That would be great.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Sure thing, I will add some pictures of the top and beading this weekend I think.

Post Thanks / Like

303 Fabric Guard is the only product I use, for cloth tops.
    And I just used it on my new sneakers
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

If your using 303 FG for interior seats, wear a long sleeve shirt and a respirator wouldn't hurt either. The overspray in a cabin will get you. The chemicals in 303 will burn your skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If your using 303 FG for interior seats, wear a long sleeve shirt and a respirator wouldn't hurt either. The overspray in a cabin will get you. The chemicals in 303 will burn your skin.
    You know, after reading reviews I was expecting a lot more of a 'solvent' smell but it wasn't bad. Then again I did apply it in the garage, I applied it in one medium coat to see how it did. When it was dry, it had no smell what-so-ever which I was happy about!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
    You know, after reading reviews I was expecting a lot more of a 'solvent' smell but it wasn't bad. Then again I did apply it in the garage, I applied it in one medium coat to see how it did. When it was dry, it had no smell what-so-ever which I was happy about!
    Yeah, the smell is pretty mild, but the fine mist in the interior will get to you. Using it on a rag top should not pose any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up. I was never planning on using it on the interior simply because it doesn't get alot of use.

Does it really make a difference if you apply it to a carpet as far as ease of cleaning is concerned?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I snapped some pictures of the kind of protection this stuff has. The car went through some nasty rain storms this week and I haven't cleaned the roof off yet. The interesting thing about these pictures is that the reason why all my pictures are in the same spot is because if I applied any water elsewhere, it would just fall right off the roof!

FYI; This was after one layer (I laid it down pretty heavy, dried quickly though) and seeing the results I think I will do one more. I'm not sure how long the durability is so maybe someone with more experience can chime in?
    Last edited by christian900se; 11-10-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! Thanks for the info and the pictures!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast