autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Four Star UPP, better than WGDGPS???

Well, if some of you followed the thread from Killrwheels' Saturn Aura detail on the Show n Shine section, he used (and highly recommended) 4Star on black vehicles. Since I still haven't found any sealant better than WG, I was eager to try out the UPP.

Well, let's just say I was extremely impressed. After only 1 coat this morning, I think this is the best looking sealant on a black car that I've used/seen. I used an MF pad by hand, applied a thin layer, let it sit for about 2 hours, then wiped it off by hand again. I was extremely impressed by the slickness of it, but more importantly, how it made the flakes on my Odyssey "pop" out. The paint just seemed to come alive more than WG... and I've been using WG for 2 years. Now as far as compared to Souveran (my all time fave), I still think Souveran gives blacks that ultra-wet deep gloss look that a sealant just can't match.

I can't comment yet on the durability (although the one I used does have polycharger). I also plan on putting a 2nd coat of UPP tomorrow, followed by Souveran.

So anyways, onto to the pics! Now I know it's a minivan, but hey, as my name implies, had to give up the sports car for the family. This is what I have to detail for now The clouds covered the sun just enough to get some perfect shots with my Nikon... Killrwheels, THANKS again for the recommendation!!! What a great sealant for the price!

Look at the metallic blue flakes on the bottom right... they just pop out!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Four Star UPP, better than WGDGPS???

WOW. I think I may revisit 4* now. Good prep work no doubt but that looks flat out amazing.
    BTW WG is the only sealant I use as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont get me wrong, Wolfgang Sealant is a great product and I particulary like it on metallics and silvers, but on black there is something about UPP. Its crisp and reflective but not sterile and amazingly slick. Their Four Star Spray Wax is another great product too. Glad you liked the recommendation.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wytstang View Post
    WOW. I think I may revisit 4* now. Good prep work no doubt but that looks flat out amazing.
    BTW WG is the only sealant I use as well.
    Thanks!!! I was shocked as well. For a sealant, I didn't think it could match, more so exceed, WG. But it did. That was only after 1 coat too.... I can't wait till tomorrow when I get the 2nd coat on.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Dont get me wrong, Wolfgang Sealant is a great product and I particulary like it on metallics and silvers, but on black there is something about UPP. Its crisp and reflective but not sterile and amazingly slick. Their Four Star Spray Wax is another great product too. Glad you liked the recommendation.
    Killr, I was thinking about applying the 2nd coat by PC. However, I only have a gray CCS finessing pad. Will that work instead of the blue recommended by AG? How would you recommend I apply using PC? speed 3? light to no pressure?

So you also recommend the spray wax? As a topper? It's got some nuba in it right? But it's still no Souveran, is it? I still like Souveran as LSP... your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post
    Well, if some of you followed the thread from Killrwheels' Saturn Aura detail on the Show n Shine section, he used (and highly recommended) 4Star on black vehicles. Since I still haven't found any sealant better than WG, I was eager to try out the UPP.

Well, let's just say I was extremely impressed. After only 1 coat this morning, I think this is the best looking sealant on a black car that I've used/seen. I used an MF pad by hand, applied a thin layer, let it sit for about 2 hours, then wiped it off by hand again. I was extremely impressed by the slickness of it, but more importantly, how it made the flakes on my Odyssey "pop" out. The paint just seemed to come alive more than WG... and I've been using WG for 2 years. Now as far as compared to Souveran (my all time fave), I still think Souveran gives blacks that ultra-wet deep gloss look that a sealant just can't match.

I can't comment yet on the durability (although the one I used does have polycharger). I also plan on putting a 2nd coat of UPP tomorrow, followed by Souveran.

So anyways, onto to the pics! Now I know it's a minivan, but hey, as my name implies, had to give up the sports car for the family. This is what I have to detail for now The clouds covered the sun just enough to get some perfect shots with my Nikon... Killrwheels, THANKS again for the recommendation!!! What a great sealant for the price!

Look at the metallic blue flakes on the bottom right... they just pop out!

WDGPS vs FOUR STAR UPP
    and the winner is?

Here are a couple of sun/cloud shots taken with my Nikon after an application of WDGPS. Photo with Fuzion to follow after application

Last edited by unclestu; 08-30-2009 at 12:41 AM.
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

I like two coats of UPP with at least 4-6 hours of curing between the levels. I never use a machine to add/remove sealants or waxes as I believe it wastes alot of product and cannot control how much is applied. Remember with sealants it is not how much we use, the less is often better but need uniform and complete coverage.

I believe their spray wax is a hybrid product. I dont know its ingredients specifically. I do love the look and easy to use as Souveran Spray Wax. Now does it look like a Souveran Paste topper, no way, but for everyday use I find it the best combo for time and looks. Now as a show-stopper I would indeed add a coat of Souveran Paste.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Great work!! I have to give that one a shot. I like the DGPS on metallics also. I'l try that on my next detail of a black vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Both vehicles look great.

Whatever product/products work best for you and look best to you are the best products for you.

I truly believe that with proper prep, any of 50, maybe 100, LSPs will look good.
    We are very fortunate to have so many good/great products to choose from.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

UPP has been one of my favorite sealants for a while now, glad to see it's getting the attention it deserves.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive/Marine Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using 4* since I finished my first bottle of DGPS. Looks fantastic on any metallic color. Topped with Fuzion and its TOPS! Durability is the same I think.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast