autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: *Review!* Optimum's Protectant Plus!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Is it the same product with just a name change? I hope. Still have some OPP left.
    Has a very light leather smell now, I have the original OPP that smells like 303. Trust me the new light smell is a welcome change. Same look, durability, and now a nicer smell. The gallon version still has the OPP name the 17oz they call leather protectant for what ever reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OGauge4Me View Post
    Tim:
    Great review.

I have a question. What is the value of using this, or any product, on the dash board of a vehicle?

The reason I ask is on my car I usually dust or use water with a microfiber cloth and the dash board always comes out clean. I also keep the car in the garage and it is not a daily driver.

I use 303 on all the weather seals after each wash and like the product a lot.
    Great question!!

Well...I guess the way to look at it, are you using a product like OPP to help protect your dash etc or are you using it as a means for beautifying it?

As far as I know, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, modern dashes contain a polymer additive called plasticizers. These plasticizers are designed to help prevent the degradation caused by exposure to UV rays.

So the question becomes, if the dash etc have these additives, do I need a protectant on it? Well...in my opinion, yes, and here is why.

Over time, UV will break down the plasticizers. In the olden days before plasticizers and few other blends of materials used in today's dashes, drying out meant cracking! Do you remember the GM dashes of the 70's? Ewwww...

But what if these plasticizers break down, will cracking occur? I can assume, it is possible. Therefore, in my opinion, I would rather add an extra layer of UV protection to the dash etc which may help to prevent the plasticizers from breaking down in the first place.

Again, if there are any interior experts, please chime in as I mainly deal with paint.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim:
    Thank you.

Now if AG offered a smaller size I would probably place it in my cart. I looked and did not see a smaller spray bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OGauge4Me View Post
    Tim:
    Thank you.

Now if AG offered a smaller size I would probably place it in my cart. I looked and did not see a smaller spray bottle.
    You are welcome! I just hope it helps!

Give the AG staff a PM about the bottle size as I sure they probably have a smaller size.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wytstang View Post
    Has a very light leather smell now, I have the original OPP that smells like 303. Trust me the new light smell is a welcome change. Same look, durability, and now a nicer smell. The gallon version still has the OPP name the 17oz they call leather protectant for what ever reason.
    You wussy, I love the manly smell of the original OPP. Its a hidden gem of a product, works great on everything from vinyl, leather, plastic etc.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    Thanks, Tim, for this fine review. If I weren't already loaded up with M40, QID, and 1Z Cockpit Premium, I would certainly give the Optimum a try.

It's great to see you contributing to AG and other forums. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
    Al
    Thanks Al, I appreciate that!

Oh...I know about having too much product! That one photo of mine showing the different dressings does not show the multiples of each! The difficult part of detailing is having a certain product that pleases everyone which is impossible. So I have all kinds of different products in order to give the customer the look they are wanting for their car.

For example, some like the carnauba glow while others like the reflective sealant look. Some like a high gloss sheen to their tires where others like a more satin look. So I always ask all of these questions first. Most of the time they just tell me to do what I think looks best, but at least I did ask them first.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

***Just a quick update!***

I have been monitoring the OPP very closely and I have been pleasantly surprised! The OPP does not seem to attract dust like other dressings! In the review I pointed out that OPP was not greasy and this has translated in less dust being attracted. Cool!

When I applied OPP, my new dedicated microfiber applicator turned very dirty which was quite shocking as I keep my vehicles in mint condition at all times. I can surmise that the M40 that was on there and has been used on there for years, had attracted a fair amount of dust. The OPP cleaned the dust off leaving a clean and freshly dressed interior. I have never noticed the dust build-up before at least to this extent. Perhaps it is the time of year where I tend to have the windows open more rather than using the A/C in the summer heat. Either way, I can report that the OPP has attracted very little dust after using the vehicle a fair amount with the windows open.

The next test for OPP will be this summer when I take the V10 fishing and will drive on the dusty mountain roads! Of course I do not drive with my windows open on those roads, but dust will still enter the cabin somehow. If it passes that test, then I will have a new dressing in my stable of products!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

i bought some opp based on this review, and will compare it to my usual 303 shortly. thanks for a great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Tim, nice to see you here. Megs sure does makes a few nice products, but there is no way I'm sticking with one brand. I personally like OPP, low gloss, lightly cleans and protects in one step. But right now my personal choice for dash is 1Z (Einszett) Cockpit premium. It's one of the best, if not the best protectant fro dash leaveing ABSOLUTELY NO GLOSS! And I absolutely adore it. I love it so much, I ordered 10 liter refill of it, and I think most of the vendors are out of it, and more will be from Germany in 6 weeks.
    It's pretty much a cleaner with UV protectant. You gotta give that a try.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently purchased the Opt, sample kit, I love the Tire Shine and the Protectant, haven't tried the Wax or Shampoo yet. Only issue I have had is those darn spray bottle, man, it leaks all over the place, both the protectant and tire shine, I got aggrevated and poured it on a applicator then applied, other than that the products are awesome !!! I purchased this because of the review of the protectant, great review.
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast