autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review-Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Towel

This week I thought I would take the opportunity to review one of my favorite detailing tools and perhaps one of the most under reviewed tools on AG, the Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Drying Towel.

I first purchased the HD Guzzler last fall when I needed to replace a worn regular Guzzler. At first, I was hesitant to spend the extra money on the HD but I could not resist the promise of soaking up twice the amount of water than a regular Guzzler (which is fine tool in its own right). I also thought since it was thicker than the regular Guzzler, I could expect a longer life span.

With the spring purchase of a metallic black Mercedes C350 and metallic blue BMW X3, efforts to wipe the paint as little as possible (to reduce micro-marring) during drying became a top priority. I used the Guzzler HD prior to these vehicles but it was not my primary drying tool. I am ashamed to admit I was a water blade guy. Over the winter I read on the AG forum about the damage the blade can cause and with the purchase of the two new vehicles, I vowed to never touch the blade again.

Details
    The Guzzler HD is actually a thin sponge sandwiched between two layers of yellow waffle weave microfiber. The sponge makes the towel four times thicker than the regular Guzzler and SUPER absorbent. It measures 16x24 which is just about the perfect size. Any bigger and it could be more difficult to ring out. The edges are covered in sewn on satin to protect the paint.

Technique
    Like I said, I want to wipe/rub the paint as little as possible to reduce marring. For the flat panels (hood, roof, trunk) I lay the Guzzler HD at one end of the panel (up by the cowl for the hood for example), gently pat the towel down to get good contact between the panel and the towel and just pull the towel forward by the front edge. The weight of the towel does the work. There is really no need to apply pressure. One pass is usually enough to get 98% of the water off the panel. Then I work my way across the panel. It usually takes me two or three swipes to make it across the hood. If I lay the towel crossways, I can clear the entire roof of the X3 in two swipes (one on each side).

For the sides, I start at the fender laying the towel against the panel - one hand on top and one hand on the bottom, I guide the towel from front to rear of the car. One swipe will dry the length of a car. I usually go back and get the lower parts of the car when everything else is dry.

Pros
    Super absorbent - you can dry most vehicles without ringing out.
    Super safe - two layers of waffle weave microfiber between foam....questions?
    Pretty durable - I use my Guzzler HD on both vehicles every week and it is still going strong after several washes.

Cons
    Not many! This a great tool to have in your arsenal.
    Price - This could turn some people off. I think they are worth every penny. But the hobby detailer may have trouble justifying $20 for a towel. Watch for a special (wink).
    Size - Not really a con because it is just about right. However, I wouldn’t be crushed if it were a little bigger.

Bottom Line

Buy three! One is great but three would be better. Especially if you are washing more than one vehicle at a time on the weekend. It is always nice to start out with a bone dry towel.
    I can’t say enough about how the Cobra HD Waffle Weave Towel has made my life easier. Drying is quicker and the risk of paint damage is reduced because your only have to go over the panel one time. I love it!

Tip
    I recently started misting the wet car with DP Rinseless diluted to the QD ratio right before drying. I have found this creates an even more streak free look especially on a black car.

Let me know if you have questions. This review was written from the view of a driveway hobby detailer. I hope to offer some insight to the guy or gal who is not running a professional business and wants the best bang for their buck when it comes to the tools they use to keep their cars and trucks looking their best.

Wet hood after washing

Guzzler HD patted down up by the cowl

Pull from the front - no pressure

Almost completely dry after just one swipe

Roof before

Again - no pressure, just the weight of the towel

Roof after - one swipe

Side technique - from front to rear

After one swipe

After shot with minimal drying thanks to the Guzzler HD

Last edited by grambow; 05-10-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review-Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Towel

Can anyone tell me why my pics are not coming up right? When I made the post, the pictures showed...not just the links.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grambow View Post
    Can anyone tell me why my pics are not coming up right? When I made the post, the pictures showed...not just the links.
    Nevermind, I got it...ugh!

Post Thanks / Like

Why is the roof beading and the hood sheathing. Did you use a flood method from your hose?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Why is the roof beading and the hood sheathing. Did you use a flood method from your hose?
    I dont really use a flooding method per-se. I usually just rinse with the shower setting on my nozzle. The angle of the hood may have something to do with the sheeting action. Whereas the roof is flatter and alot of the beading you see is on the sunroof.

Not sure what kind of wax is on the car now. I purchased the car about two months ago and the dealer waxed it before delivery. I have been finding wax residue ever since. If I would have known they were going to wax, I would have told them not to.

I have big plans for polish and Fuzion. I have just been waiting for the right weekend for the project. Thinking Memorial weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Of my 20 drying towels (yes, I have to try everything), they are,
    without a doubt, the best.

If you're shopping for a drying towel, no need to try everything, like some
    of us--start with the best--VIP special is awesome.

Only thing that could possibly top this is a SHAMWOW between two layers oc microfiber--SHAMWOWWOW-- just kidding.

Post Thanks / Like

It does dry very well, but I perfer an ultra soft WW. The HD is just too rough for me. It is now collecting dust in my storage closet along with a ton of other stuff like 2 Shmitts.

Post Thanks / Like

Good review Grambow! I have the older verison of this towel (without the black border) and after 10 months/several washes it's still going strong. I can dry an average sized car without wringing it out. Then I get out a jr. and do the QD.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up the VIP special on these today... This and a leaf blower should make short work of a drying a car when I'm doing doing a ONR wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review!!! Love all the info and the pictures, thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast