autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Soapy Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Where i got my gallon from. Wanted to try some sio2 products but shipping for small items was exorbitant at time I was looking so just ordered some Siramik graphene coating spray from UK.

Got sooo much stuff I haven’t used in last 2 years that I banned LSP. Just added Rinsless washes, Microfiber and detail brushes to that list…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you and I are the only two people in the US with the Siramik coating. Their shampoo is also very nice but I wouldn't go out of your way to order it unless you were also getting more Siramik stuff due to shipping costs. I might order another bottle or two of the Graphene coating because I don't see myself ever going back to a full ceramic on my car after using it. However, when it lasts a year+ I might run into issues with it going bad in the bottle before I get a chance to use it. I still have 1-2 applications left in my one bottle.

I found that Labocosmetica's Primus and Purifica were much more effective than Lift and Descale. The Carpro products did almost nothing to revive a 6 month old 22PLE coating that lost a significant amount of it's water behavior after an Upstate NY winter. The Labocosmetica products didn't fully revive it but got the coating back to 75% of what it originally was.

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Ha ha, I was waiting for the Hyper Wash request.

I've actually wanted to try it, but a gallon (3.8-liter) of Hyper Wash ranges between $95 and $110 AUD, which cost aside, would be take me a while to blow through if I didn't like it. If Meg's offered it in the smaller pint-sized bottles like they do with some of their other Detailer Range products (Hyper Dressing/Last Touch/D143 ect), I would happily grab some to try. Another hesitation being the thicker consistency, which I did not care for with the other Meguiar's soaps I have used in the past. Is it similar to the gloopy nature of Gold Class?

The new formula of Touchless sounds promising, hopefully without the reduction of cleaning ability. As I mentioned, I really don't need its abilities living a somewhat dry climate, but I do see the value in what it can do for those who need it.

Confession though, I had a rocky experimentation period with Touchless. First, I used the suggested dilution ratio from the local supplier. Let's just say, it left me quite annoyed, it achieved nothing remotely "touchless". I then upped the dose rate considerably but was again left wanting. It was then I figured out that my pressure washer is flowing quite a bit more than the average machine, so I was most likely over diluting it. After seeing what others had done with high-flow pressure washers, I then went straight Touchless in the foam cannon, which certainly delivered the promised touchless washing experience. But on another car, I noticed it had burnt the paint and left deposits that needed to be polished out. This is the risk we take with heavy duty chemical products, I played with fire and it scolded me.

I stress that in this case, the issue was on me, not necessarily the fault of the product. But it did cause me to re-evaluate my need for such a product, and the possible consequences that come with it. I also kept quiet on this because of a) I was embarrassed at what I did, and b) because I know Touchless has a lot of fans, I didn't want to make a fuss over my inadequate use of the stuff.
    Oh hyper wash is super thick. Probably my one gripe with it really. Other than that it is a nice soap. Cleans well and decent lubrication. The scent is nothing special. It seems to be in the sweet spot of strong enough to keep coatings clog free and being gentle enough for waxes and sealants. First time I used hyper wash it unclogged a coating that I thought was dead (McKee's 37 V2) which was a pleasant surprise.

4. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding test. Thank you. If you ever get a chance, I'd like your opinion of Griot's shampoos.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. Thanks!

Can you get Maguire's Hyperwash in Australia? After trying some from your list here in addition to Sonax Car Wash Shampoo and Poorboys World Super Slick and Suds, it my hands-down winner.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post
    Outstanding test. Thank you. If you ever get a chance, I'd like your opinion of Griot's shampoos.
    Sadly, only one single online retailer sells Griot's products, and even then, its only 4 of the entire line (a synthetic clay puck, Best of Show Spray Wax, Speed Shine and Spray-on Wax). This is a sore point for me because I think the Griot's brand would go well in Australia. So no, have not tried any of their soaps, although I managed to get some of the Interior Cleaner and their excellent bottle dispensers.

8. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Great review. Thanks!

Can you get Maguire's Hyperwash in Australia? After trying some from your list here in addition to Sonax Car Wash Shampoo and Poorboys World Super Slick and Suds, it my hands-down winner.
    Hyperwash is certainly available. I've looked into it a few times but I don't want or need a gallon of it, never say never though.

I'll certainly be looking into the Sonax and Poorboys.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only use washes that come in gallons like Hyper Wash because I use so much when washing with my foam gun.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

11. Likes DFB, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was actually surprised with Meg's Gold Class today. I decided to use it in the foam canon on my Brother's Outlander today, basically as a test, and to try and use up the last of 2qt bottle I've had for maybe 10 years. I poured about 70ml in and filled the rest with tap water, then went around the Outlander twice, and used less than half, but it was very sloppy foam, and it was hard to gauge it's cleaning ability, this thing has no protection and the dirt that was on there had been there a long time. When I've used a dedicated foam in the canon I barely make it around the FJ or the Qashqai, but with much thicker foam, and much better dwell time.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

13. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm convinced they changed Gold Class since the time I used it. Back then it was a dismal performer. I'm going to go with Hyper Wash though. No bad reviews and I can get it locally
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

15. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I was actually surprised with Meg's Gold Class today. I decided to use it in the foam canon on my Brother's Outlander today, basically as a test, and to try and use up the last of 2qt bottle I've had for maybe 10 years. I poured about 70ml in and filled the rest with tap water, then went around the Outlander twice, and used less than half, but it was very sloppy foam, and it was hard to gauge it's cleaning ability, this thing has no protection and the dirt that was on there had been there a long time. When I've used a dedicated foam in the canon I barely make it around the FJ or the Qashqai, but with much thicker foam, and much better dwell time.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I'm convinced they changed Gold Class since the time I used it. Back then it was a dismal performer. I'm going to go with Hyper Wash though. No bad reviews and I can get it locally
    Bill, I think you are correct. I remember at some point Meguiar's started putting an additional label on Gold Class to draw attention to its foaming ability. I would suspect this was when the foaming agents were added. Dave's bottle being over 10 years old would suggest that he has the original formulation.

I'm fairly sure I would have used both versions of Gold Class, from memory it foamed ok. But.............it's pretty useless in cleaning ability. Which would be where Hyper Wash comes into the equation because of its slightly elevated pH level, which going from what others have said, means it cleans very well. My main problem with Meguiar's soaps is the ultra-thick consistency makes dosing harder. And they are waaaay overpriced in Australia, that doesn't mean they are terrible soaps, just that better soaps can be had for the same or even less money. For example, NV Snow would be the equivalent to Hyper Wash's value vs performance equation for us.

17. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave liked this post
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast