autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating Review

Armour Detail Supply High Temp Wheel Coating Review

Who?

Armour Detail Supply is a relatively new company with a focus on providing high quality detailing products to the professional and enthusiast user. They make a point of delivering real world products that deliver real world durability, all without the hype that many brands use to sell product.

What Is It and What Does It Do?

As the name suggests, Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating is a high temperature resistant ceramic coating to be used on wheels, brake calipers, exhaust tips or surfaces subjected to high heat. Tested up to 800 degrees Celsius, this coating has a high 76% solids count and a pH tolerance ranging from 0 to 13. The coating can be used on a variety of wheel surfaces, including chrome, painted, clear coated, powder coated, anodized and matte finishes.

Much is made about this coating being able to easily eclipse the claimed durability, up to twice the 1+ year claim and extreme hardness levels. This contrasts to the optimistic durability claimed by some of the big names offering wheel-specific coatings.

Another drawcard for this coating is something often missing from high-temp wheel coatings. Having used a few competitor wheel coatings, the lack of slickness and an overall grabby feel left me wanting. In addition to that, they didn’t have that WOW factory to the hydrophobic properties. For the most part, this is the tradeoff for durability in high heat situations. And it's this aspect of the Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating that really grabbed my attention, the excellent slickness and superb water behavior, while maintaining or even improving durability.

Where and How To Use –

Naturally, having surfaces ceramic coated is all about protecting and enhancing the finish, in turn making future cleaning quicker and easier. Arguably the surface subjected to the harshest conditions on a car, having your wheels coated makes a huge difference in how they resist brake dust accumulation.

For the most part, using Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating is very similar to the various others on the market……………..with some specific aspects to note. A dual-colored microfiber applicator is supplied with each bottle, but this coating cures HARD and FAST, which means you may need a secondary applicator to get through a set of four wheels, and ideally, a second set of leveling and final wipe towels. That doesn't necessarily mean the coating flashes quickly, rather that it begins to harden and cure much quicker than usual. The suggested application temperature range is between 5 to 38 degrees C (40 to 100F) and the flash time of 1 to 5-min depending on conditions (average 2 to 3-min). Expect to use 10 – 15 ml per wheel set. Unopened, the product has a 12-month self-life, 7-days once opened.

The key to success with any coating is preparation, preparation, preparation! If you are dealing with brand new wheels, then a simple wipe down with an IPA prep spray will be all you need.

However, if the wheels/brake calipers/exhaust tips are used, then a through decontamination by using iron removers, tar removers and a clay treatment is highly recommended. If needed, you may also need to polish the wheels. Once decontaminated and polished, follow with a generous wipe down with an IPA prep spray, which in my case has been Rupes Reveal Lite and Strong.

If you are dealing with wheels without tyres like I am here, I suggest having the tyres mounted and balanced before applying the coating. This might sound counterintuitive, but you may have issues retaining the wheel weights if you coat the wheels first.

Prime the applicator with 3 lines of product before starting, from there, only smaller amounts are required. Working one wheel at a time, apply the coating in overlapping motions to ensure even and complete coverage. I prefer to start with the wheel face first, followed by the barrels. You are more likely to have residual product transferring from the wheel face to the barrel, so doing the barrels last prevents that becoming a high spot.

Allow the coating to flash, which is exhibited by a light hazing and uniform sweat beading, typically within 2 or 3-minute. Using a low pile towel, level down the coating. The initial wipes will be ultra grabby, which quickly transforms to a slick and smooth feel under the towel. Follow up with a secondary towel to remove any lingering residue. Flip the wheel and follow the same process for the barrel, followed by another wipe over the wheel face to address any possible residue transfer.

While not necessary, Armour Detail Supply suggest waiting at least an hour before applying a secondary coat. After 4 hours, you can apply a ceramic spray sealant (Amplify or similar) to protect the coating during its initial cure. It’s also suggested to avoid driving the car for at least 12 hours. After 12 hours, the car can be driven and get wet. Refrain from washing within the first 7 days as the coating fully cures and hardens.

Conclusions –

As mentioned earlier, prior to the use of this coating, I was not entirely happy with my experiences using wheel-specific coatings. The Armour product however delivers the gloss, slickness and water behavior one would expect from a ceramic coating. Durability wise, its still early days, so only time will tell if the claims of extended longevity will play out. I can say subsequent cleaning after application has been a breeze.

For me personally, I have been importing this coating directly from Armour Detail Supply in the USA, thankfully with reasonable shipping costs. Even still, its not a cheap coating for me to use, but I think the benefits are worth it. Here’s hoping the brand makes the trip to Australia at some point in the future.

2. Thanks PA DETAILER, Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, opie, chilly, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating Review

Thanks for the great review! Have you not tried thier quartz coating? I thought you did but ita to many posts to go thru to find out haha.

Im curious of your thoughts as im going to give that a go to possibly take place of mohs evo. I love mohs but i feel after 10 months i feel like it clogs easy and doesnt have to durability of a quartz coating

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

4. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy to report that this coating is great on lawn mowers too!

6. Likes opie, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    If you are dealing with wheels without tyres like I am here, I suggest having the tyres mounted and balanced before applying the coating. This might sound counterintuitive, but you may have issues retaining the wheel weights if you coat the wheels first.
    Thanks for doing this review, I'm not sure how seriously to take this part--do you really think you'd throw a (stick-on) weight if it was installed on top of the coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Thanks for doing this review, I'm not sure how seriously to take this part--do you really think you'd throw a (stick-on) weight if it was installed on top of the coating?
    No idea really, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

9. Likes bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like

For Australian readers, Detailing Shed have just announced the addition of Armour Detail Supply to their store, the first to sell the brand in Australia. At the moment, only the range of coatings are being offered, with maintenance products to follow. I found out about this a couple of weeks ago, but its nice to see this brand expanding into other markets. It's been a while since I was genuinely excited about a new detailing brand hitting Australian shores, Armour Detail Supply could very well be the next Carpro.

12. Likes Big Dave, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're into toppers, I think you'll like their Amplify product.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes opie, DFB, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Happy to report that this coating is great on lawn mowers too!
    Did you just do the wheels?

Looking forward to an update down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If you're into toppers, I think you'll like their Amplify product.
    Apparently the maintenance products are about 6 weeks away, among others, I'm super keen to try Amplify and Shampoo+

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Did you just do the wheels?

Looking forward to an update down the road.
    I applied the coating to the wheels, powder coated aluminum chassis, the black steel chassis wear plates and front bumper, the painted steel handles and rear catcher flap, the gloss black plastic engine cover, the valve cover, throttle controller and clutch lever.

Last week in preparation for it's first oil change, all I did to the machine was to hose it down with the pressure washer. The coating prevented dust attraction and accumulation, the simple hose down made it look brand new again.

In terms of the coating being used as intended, I couldn't be happier with it on wheels. On my daily driver, the coating rejects dust and road grime to the point where I could rinse them off and call them clean. The brakes on my Ranger and XR6 aren't very dusty, so all need for cleaning is car wash soap, no wheel cleaner required. I also like how hydrophobic and slick the coating is on its own, no toppers required. On previous wheel coatings, I wasn't all that impressed with lack of slickness and so-so water behavior. It's a brilliant coating!

17. Likes bill walsh liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast