autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage Track Spray Review

Griots Garage Track Spray caught me attention the first time I read about it. My thought ranged from "cool idea" to "gimmick". I couldn't imagine the product actually achieving it's claims.

This summer when I visited the Griots store in Tacoma, I half joked with my wife about Track Spray and how it would be handy for removing cone marks after an autocross event. Somehow she managed to convince me to pick up a bottle. Since that time, it has sat on my shelf untested. I enjoyed a season of pretty clean runs, free from taking out any cones. Until the last event of the season where I inflicted a bit of carnage on the cones.

While swapping bout my wheel after the event, I saw this: a nice rubber stripe around the wheel.

The time for track spray arrived! I sprayed the area with a quick shot of product, let it sit for about five seconds, and then wiped. Every trace of the cone transfer is gone!

Moving around to the other side of the car, I then noticed this mark and I got a sinking feeling. The cones had inflicted some serious revenge on my car.

Again I pulled out track spray thinking it would remove the rubber transfer and reveal the real damage. I wasn't expecting it to all wipe away. There was no paint damage at all!

I also found a much bigger spot on the passenger door, but got so excited by Track Pray removing the rubber transfer I totally. Forgot to take pictures.

I can now say, this product is legitimate. It easily removes rubber rubbings from traffic cones and likely would remove rubber gloves and tar balls from a track day or auto race just as easy. It goes on thick like a gel and clings nicely to vertical surfaces. It easily wipes right off.

Now the bad news: it may wipe out any LSP on your car. I washed my car the day after I used Track Spray and noticed the water behavior of my coating was totally gone on the two sports I applied the spray. Gyeon Pure EVO has fantastic beading and sheeting, so it was quite obvious. I hoping Track Spray may have just clogged up the coating, but won't know for sure until I wash it a couple more times.

Overall I'm very pleased by how it effortlessly removed the rubber transfer, but just a touch concerned by it removing or altering the LSP.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage Track Spray Review

looks like a good one to add to the detailing arsenal, thanks for the review...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a decon wash on those spots? Hopefully just masking the water behavior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw the pictures on a monitor and noticed the really low quality...sorry about that! Those were taken after a very long day at the event and my attention to detail wasn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    looks like a good one to add to the detailing arsenal, thanks for the review...
    If you have customers or you do any type of motor sports I'd recommend it. It would probably work as a heavy duty tar remover too, but I'd be careful. I was honestly very surprised to see the rubber transfer just wipe right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Try a decon wash on those spots? Hopefully just masking the water behavior
    The weather is starting to turn against me, but I may try to squeeze one in. I've got to get my hands on a good decon soap. Claying isn't a great option because the paint is so soft.

Any decon wash would really be for the sake of science and learning. With winter approaching the car won't be truly clean for a few months. The Pure EVO will be two years old by Spring and I'd already planned to polish it off and re-coat the car.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog