autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Dressing Applicators

So, you have cleaned your tires and selected a dressing, sealant or coating. Now, its time apply said product, but with what?

Different tire products work best with different application methods. Most people would associate tire dressings with some sort of foam applicator, and for the most part, that is a correct assumption. But, like everything detailing, there is so much to choose from.

Tip – this is probably an obvious suggestion for those on this forum, but never apply dressing directly to the tire, unless you want to re-clean your wheels afterwards. Apply the product directly into the applicator or brush and then work it into the tire, reapplying more as needed. This applies to all dressings, sealants and coatings……….except for aerosol products.

Foam Applicators -

These are the most popular, most widely available and offer the most variation or choice. Foam applicators are ideal for thicker gel or crème like dressings and sealants but will also work with runnier products too.

A very basic and cost-effective choice would be to use scraps of offcut foam. These can be had from a local rubber and foam supplier, often sold in discount bins for a couple of dollars each. Simply cut them into suitable sizes and your set. When they get too dirty, throw it away and grab another. The only downside to this option is the lack of a separator/hand grip, which means you end up with dressing all over your hands/gloves.

Dedicated foam applicators come in many different shapes and sizes………….and some are better than others. I cannot begin to cover each and every foam applicator on the market, so here a few favorites.

Firstly, the generic curved foam applicators that are sold at most detailing suppliers. These are inexpensive and very functional, a good choice for lower profile tires. The generous (colored) handgrip works well to keep your fingers clean. Often sold in multi-packs.

These chunkier square applicators are one of my favorites, and while they look best suited to larger tires, they function well on low profiles as well. These items are sold under several different brands and likely all come out of the same factory in China. Chemical Guys, Maxshine, Bowden’s and more sell something similar, differentiated by the colour of the hand grip. Very durable too.

“Hex Grip” foam pucks are brilliant for tire dressing. These come in a few different styles, but all function the same. These provide a very defined hand grip for mess-free applications. Again, sold by several different brands and suppliers.

Ones to avoid – the Gyeon applicators are pretty average, and I’m also not a fan of using the round wax applicators, they are so messy to use. And this might come across as odd considering I place a priority on keeping the dressing off my hands, but I don’t care for the foam applicators with the plastic hand grip.

Microfiber -

I don’t use these personally, not sure why though. Cost wise, these can actually be cheaper than foam for some reason. The caveat here is no separator/hand grip to avoid those sticky fingers, so I guess that’s why I don’t use them.

The Rag Company sell black, terry weave applicator sponges with tire dressing in mind. However, I have found them to lack structural integrity compared to a good foam applicator.

Brushes -

Brushes are best suited to runnier liquids such as diluted Perl or Adams Graphene. I have a feeling I learnt about using brushes for applying tire dressing from Obsessed Garage. Initially, I couldn’t find a suitable brush for this task, as in one large enough to be effective.

Ideally, you want a brush with a lot of surface area to be efficient and I didn’t find one suitable until I bit the bullet and imported some RaceGlaze XL’s from Obsessed Garage. This brush is huge, almost too big for cleaning lug nuts, but ideal for applying dressings. You could also look at a large "chalk brush" for a similar effect.

To use, spray the dressing into the bristles are work it into the sidewall.

A flag tipped wheel and body brush is brilliant for applying runny dressings to larger SUV and truck tires. Spray the dressing directly into the bristles and start working it across the sidewall. This method is supremely fast and efficient on large, knobbly tyres. I learnt this trick, including many others, from the members of this very forum.

The TRC Ultra Utility Brush is very good for this too -

A trend of late has been the re-purposed use of cosmetic brushes. The detailing companies won’t say this, but some are simply rebranded cosmetic brushes. Some are more dedicated –

The Detail Factory Curveball brush was primarily designed for interior and exterior cleaning but has also been successfully used for applying tire dressings. The bristles are ultra soft and work surprisingly well. Again, you would probably stick to runnier dressings. The only thing that counts against it is the price. This brush is just too expensive, and too nice, to be sacrificing it to this role. You can actually get Chinese knockoffs through Amazon and Ebay for up to half the price, although how you feel about intellectual theft of this type is going to be a personal thing.

These next two are most certainly repurposed cosmetic brushes, and they work brilliantly too. The extremely soft and dense bristles are stunningly effective.

Ones to avoid – smaller boar’s hair brushes will work, but will be more time consuming………….ask me how I know this! And I would also say that if you intend on using a paint brush, be sure to wrap the metal bristle holder in electrical tape to safeguard against scraping your wheels or bodywork.

Conclusions -

Tire dressing applicators are probably one of the more personal choices when it comes to detailing tools. At the end of the day, its all about what feels comfortable to use and what best suits the sort of tires you have. Any of the above will do the job and do it well.

Note - once again, this piece was written for threads elsewhere, so the links to the products and prices have been removed. Again, I hope this still provided sufficient information. Feel free to PM me for links if you want.

This concludes the three part series on tires. Having written over 8,000 words on tire cleaning and dressing over the last week or so, the most challenging part was editing my copy to suit the website it was going to be published on. Why does that matter? Well, in Australia we spell the subject in question "Tyre" as opposed to the US spelling of "Tire". To me, "tire" means to become "tired" or "exhausted". But, being a perfectionist and in the interests of being thorough, I made sure to go through and change all the "tyres" to "tires" for the US-based websites. For most that doesn't matter, but you would be surprised the amount of people who get their nose out of joint with spelling, correct use of words or grammatical errors................even if they understood what was being said. I even had someone a couple of weeks ago take the time to write me a PM about sentence structure, and not in a helpful way either.

Thanks for reading!

2. Thanks Big Dave, Bruno Soares, MisterSnoop, Gridlink, PaulMys and 2 others thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, Prange, Gridlink, Tasmania, PaulMys and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing Applicators

Good info again, next time I'm near Officeworks I'm going to check out the brushes in their Art section, to see if there's anything I can co-opt for detailing duty.

Don't worry about the pedantic Muppets, one of my duties in my first job was writing work instructions for our warehouse that had to pass Australian Standards scrutiny, they had to be able to be read and understood by people of any level. Your work here definitely passes, no issues at all.

Just so you know, I'll sometimes rewrite my posts a couple of times when I'm not happy with them, I like to be as clear as possible.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

4. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write-up. Thanks.

I've tried just about all of them. I'm liking the Geyon, (small version) for now. I find it handy for the joint where the "rim protector" on the tire meets the bead edge of the wheel. These 30,35, and 40 series tires are a pain. The shorter, stiffer edge makes it easy to cut in, like when painting a wall. Also, it's lasting much longer than I thought it would.

My next one will be the “Hex Grip” foam pucks. I have a new one on the shelf.

6. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get nice, cheap brushes at Bunnings too.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

8. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post
    Excellent write-up. Thanks.

I've tried just about all of them. I'm liking the Geyon, (small version) for now. I find it handy for the joint where the "rim protector" on the tire meets the bead edge of the wheel. These 30,35, and 40 series tires are a pain. The shorter, stiffer edge makes it easy to cut in, like when painting a wall. Also, it's lasting much longer than I thought it would.

My next one will be the “Hex Grip” foam pucks. I have a new one on the shelf.
    All my vehicles have 40 series or lower - actually found the "Chunky Foam" one's to work really well:
    Speed Master Tire Dressing Applicator

I've used them with gel and liquid type dressings.

Edit: The above review pictures demonstrate the use of these perfectly on a 40 series tire

10. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    And this might come across as odd considering I place a priority on keeping the dressing off my hands, but I don’t care for the foam applicators with the plastic hand grip.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Conclusions -

[/FONT][/COLOR]Tire dressing applicators are probably one of the more personal choices when it comes to detailing tools. At the end of the day, its all about what feels comfortable to use and what best suits the sort of tires you have. Any of the above will do the job and do it well.

[/URL]
    Very much a personal thing. The one in this picture from your post is my favorite. I've tried others and like the simple, cheap ones. I can use it horizontally when working on a low profile tire and vertically when doing a larger SUV tire. The soft foam gets products into lettering and textures and applies product evenly without streaking of smearing. They seem to come in different colors and brand names, but they are easily found in lots of places.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorites are the Tuff Shine Tire Applicator, knockoff Carscope Tire Dressing Brush from Amazon (another repurposed makeup brush), and the CarPro Tire Swipe Applicator v2. The Carpro is the least used as the other two are just much better.

14. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see words and read it So i use the yellow and black tyre dressing applicator
    Straight from China for about 15 cents each but i'm paying about 20 cents per app.

I must confess i do have some clone Detail Factory make-up brushes i'm not spending $50 on something made in China that costs $2 to make.

If they lowered the prices then i would buy legit to begin with.

Soz DFB

16. Likes DFB liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Very much a personal thing. The one in this picture from your post is my favorite. I've tried others and like the simple, cheap ones. I can use it horizontally when working on a low profile tire and vertically when doing a larger SUV tire. The soft foam gets products into lettering and textures and applies product evenly without streaking of smearing. They seem to come in different colors and brand names, but they are easily found in lots of places.
    I have a couple of them too but they are blue. I ripped the foam out of the plastic so i can hold it easier and conform it more.

18. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    I see words and read it So i use the yellow and black tyre dressing applicator
    Straight from China for about 15 cents each but i'm paying about 20 cents per app.

I must confess i do have some clone Detail Factory make-up brushes i'm not spending $50 on something made in China that costs $2 to make.

If they lowered the prices then i would buy legit to begin with.

Soz DFB

I've experimented with foam polishing pads from China, Ali-Expresses.

I find some that are not worse (if not better) than 20x - 30x more expensive LC pads.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

20. Likes Tasmania liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast