autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tire Cleaning Comparison Thread

(This is a post I wrote in companion to my tire dressing thread. Again, I have also edited this piece to omit pricing and availability links.)

Tire Cleaning

Cleaning tires was once a foreign concept to me. One could assume that cleaning tires is simply a way of selling more products, but there are some valid reasons why it's considered an important part of the detailing process -

- A thoroughly cleaned tire will accept the dressing, sealant or coating much better. It’s a hard thing to describe, but when the tire is bare and clean, the product being applied seems to glide over the sidewall with less effort. The dressing/sealant/coating then has the best chance to properly bond to the rubber and give the best possible longevity.

- For a tire that doesn’t have anything lingering, be that an old dressing or accumulated dirt, the finished result will be a darker, more uniform finish. A case of hard work paying off.

The only reason I discovered the need to clean tires was when I decided to try Gyeon Q2 Tire. That product was different to other dressings I had used to that point, the recommendation was to thoroughly clean and prepare the rubber prior to application for ultimate performance and visual effect. At the time, I didn’t have a suitable brush or product to clean the tires with. I ended up buying some pre-diluted Meguiar’s Multi Purpose Cleaner and a scrubbing brush from the hardware store. (I have photo's of this, but I'm too embarrassed to show them here! ) The results were sub-par and I was left with the desire to find something better.

Having tried several tire specific cleaning products, I have come to the conclusion that best results come from products tailored to the job in question. As a rule, tire cleaning products are strong alkaline degreasers, able to penetrate, break down and emulsify oily and greasy substances, which are then rinsed away with water.

In a technical sense, an alkaline all-purpose cleaner should fit that requirement. However, I have found APC to be only mildly effective at cleaning tires properly. It can certainly be done with a stronger dilution and repeated passes, but there are more effective products that require less product and less effort to deliver the desired results.

Brushes -

In any case, you will be teaming your chosen tire cleaner with a medium to stiff bristled brush. These come in many shapes and sizes, meaning you can choose one that suits the tires you intend to clean, while also putting thought into user specific ergonomic considerations.

If the brush is too soft, it won’t be very effective or efficient, likewise if the bristles are too stiff. The happy medium for me is the Detail Factory Tire Scrub Brush, which I really like how it can conform the shape of the sidewall to give a thorough, efficient cleaning action. Others to consider would be the Tuff Shine/Maxshine Tire Brush (pictured on the right above) something like the below images, which would suit larger sidewalls.

I just keep coming back to the DF and Tuff Shine brushes, they are so simple and effective.

NOTE - the general rule of thumb with tire cleaning is to continue to scrub/rinse/scrub/rinse until the cleaning chemical no longer turns brown during agitation. The brownness is actually a combination of dirt, old dressing and the anti-ozone agents that surface and then react to oxygen. The technical term for this is called “Blooming”. By all means, repeat the cleaning process a couple of times for thoroughness, but I would stop at two or three passes. Any more than that and you end up removing too much of those anti-ozone agents and risk premature weathering of the rubber.

For me, I’ll clean a neglected tire once or twice and call it good. For my own cars, I rarely have tire browning, so a quick pass with a cleaner is all I need. This is a case of adjusting to the needs of your car, rather than getting the bazooka out every time.

Tyre Cleaning Products –

Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner –
    this was the very first dedicated tire cleaner I bought. It’s decently priced but seemed to lack something, as such it was never repurchased. After hearing of others having success with Q2M Tire Cleaner, I really need to give this product another try, perhaps the formula has been updated since I used it four years ago. In fairness to Gyeon and fellow Gyeon users, I won’t be scoring this product until I have done so.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – No
    Dilution – Not recommended
    Scent – Unscented
    Cleaning Ability – Withheld
    DFB Score – Withheld

P&S Brake Buster - this is a combined wheel and tire cleaner with the ability to foam. One could assume that it's a jack of all trades, master of none. However, when used undiluted, it’s a decently powerful tyre cleaner. Some have commented that Brake Buster is only a “maintenance” product, as in it lacks extreme ability. However, I have rarely been left wanting when using it as directed by P&S (undiluted).

What brings me back to this product time and time again is the way if foams up during agitation, making it feel like you are actually doing something. Perhaps that’s what I was missing from Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner? For neglected tyres, a stronger product would probably be a better choice, but Brake Buster seems to get the job done satisfactorily, while also doing duty as a wheel cleaner too. And yes, I have used Brake Buster diluted, and yes, it sucked at cleaning tires. My go-to tire cleaner.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – Yes
    Dilution – Can be diluted to 10:1 with significantly reduced ability.
    Scent – Unscented, acrid chemical aroma
    Cleaning Ability – 8/10
    DFB Score – 9/10

P&S Undressed - this is a dedicated tire cleaner from P&S, taking the cleaning ability up a notch over Brake Buster. Undressed is actually a rebranded product that was already in the P&S line up, where it was aimed at cleaning white wall tires, as such it's an excellent choice for that sort of tire or ones with white lettering.

Undressed doesn’t quite have the same foaming ability under agitation as Brake Buster, but it does seem to offer a touch more cleaning ability to strip tires back to a bare finish. The cost is also very attractive, even though its only available in gallon/3.8 Lt format. For whatever reason, Undressed doesn't seem to get much press, which is a shame because it's a very capable product.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – No
    Scent - None
    Cleaning Ability – 9/10
    DFB Score – 8/10

Shine Supply Wise Guy - this is the proverbial sledge hammer and MUST be diluted. Originally a dedicated tire cleaner, it has since been reclassified as a wheel and tire cleaner. I would probably restrict it to tires though.

Wise Guy is pretty aggressive, a product I grab for ultra dirty tires or when I want to strip tires right down to the bare rubber. I have also found it to be rough on sprayers, having killed a couple of Kwazar spray heads as well as Tolco and Canyon chemical resistant sprayers. I’m now running it out of a Marolex pump action sprayer.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – Yes
    Dilution – 1:1 is recommended and required
    Scent - None
    Cleaning Ability – 10/10
    DFB Score – 9/10

Carpro ReTyre - another heavy hitter, this is a foaming dedicated tire cleaner that joined the Carpro line last year. I don’t think you need this amount of aggression on a regular basis, and the price tends to reflect that.

I initially struggled with this product, my bottle arriving without the foaming spray head. As such, it didn’t really impress. After reading others having excellent success with ReTyre, I ordered another bottle, which came with the correct sprayer. For whatever reason, the foam seems to play a part in the effectiveness of ReTyre. I mention this because the foaming spray head blows through quite a lot of product, but without it, the power seems to be lost. So fitting a regular spray head to save on product is not really advised.

My score is tempered by the price and amount of product you will blow through due to the foaming trigger. But if you need something heavy hitting, ReTyre is a great option.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – No
    Dilution – No recommended
    Scent - None, slightly aggravating
    Cleaning Ability – 10/10
    DFB Score – 8/10

Adam’s Wheel & Tire Cleaner –this is Adam’s version of Brake Buster, in that it’s a combined wheel and tire cleaner. It shares the non-acid alkaline formula but doesn’t quite have the same level of foaming ability though. Or ultimate cleaning ability.

Some have mentioned that this product is a brilliant tire cleaner, but I only found it mildly effective. To me, Brake Buster is more efficient, and cheaper too. It’s a good wheel cleaner though.

NOTE - In Australia, the two Adam's products presented in this thread are priced at a considerable premium. For example, a gallon of either of the Adam's product sits at $149.95! Brake Buster for the same gallon is $49.95, and Undressed sits at $38.95 per gallon. For Australian readers, I would only recommend buying these Adam's products if on sale.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – Yes
    Dilution – Can be but not required
    Scent - None
    Cleaning Ability – 7/10
    DFB Score – 6/10

Adam’s Tire & Rubber Cleaner – being a dedicated tire cleaner, I have found this to be far more effective than their combined wheel and tire cleaner. I like how this product strikes a nice balance between cleaning ability and suitability for regular usage. This is terrific product, one that I would use more if it was more economical. Again, buy when on sale.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – No
    Scent - None
    Cleaning Ability – 9.5/10
    DFB Score – 9/10

Meguiar’s Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner – another combination product, and another that really didn’t impress me. Again, a good wheel cleaner, but it struggled to remove a previously applied dressing effectively. This is another product that just doesn't make sense in Australia, the price Meguiars ask for this product is ridiculous. Clearly, Meguiar's Australia have built in a high RRP so that when it eventually goes on sale at a big box store it will still makes them money. Either that, they are on glue........probably both. I just can’t recommend buying this product when Brake Buster is less expensive and more effective.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – Yes
    Dilution – Neat or up to 2:1
    Scent - None
    Cleaning Ability – 6/10
    DFB Score – 5/10

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Hyper Foam Wheel Cleaner & Tire Prep – yet another ridiculously named product from Turtle Wax. They must be smoking crack when they have the naming strategy sessions in the boardroom over there. It’s been said that this is a company that has absolutely no idea about detailing, a confusing line of products sold by people who have no passion for what they are selling other than it making them money.

Harsh words aside, this is actually a very good tire cleaner. Like Carpro ReTyre, this is a foaming product that goes on thickly and agitates up to strip tires bare. Unlike ReTyre, this product can also be used on wheels. I wouldn’t. However, this is probably one of the most aggressive tire cleaners I have tried.

I’m not being a brand snob here, but I just can’t use this product. While none of these tire cleaners have a scent, or are what I would call pleasing, but this Turtle Wax product reeks. Certainly not like the Sulphur-like odor of an iron remover, but not far behind. I will say, I'm pretty sensitive to scents and odors, so you may not find it as egregious, but this is not a product I will be buying again for the aroma alone.

Tire Cleaner – Yes
    Wheel Cleaner – Yes
    Scent - Vile
    Cleaning Ability – 10/10
    DFB Score – 6/10

Stoner’s Tarminator – while not designed with cleaning tires in mind, but whatever is in it seems to be ideal at stripping tires that are being rather stubborn, Michelin in particular. An off-label use, Tarminator has the ability to deliver a truly bare finish, while also conditioning the rubber to accept a tire dressing. An alternative to using mineral spirits/mineral turpentine, Tarminator doesn't appear to dry out the rubber like those can.

You won’t use Tarminator often for tire cleaning, think of it as a last resort for difficult tires or for when preparing brand new tires to strip release agents and fitment soap. Spray the product into a towel and rub the sidewall aggressively, as the chemical evaporates, it will reveal a completely matte, clean surface ready for that layer of dressing. Avoid getting this onto to matte wheels. A sledge-axe for occasional use.

Tire Cleaner – Yes (Well, sort of.)
    Wheel Cleaner – No
    Dilution – NA (Aerosol)
    Scent – Strong Citrus Solvent aroma
    Cleaning Ability – 10/10
    DFB Score – 10/10

Koch Chemie Green Star GS -
    I have included this here as a reference point. From the outset, I will say this is a fantastic product, highly concentrated and able to be diluted from 5:1 right out to 120:1. It's solvent free and contains corrosion inhibitors. A very good general-purpose cleaner that I tend to only use on engine bays.

I have Green Star mixed at 8:1 for reasonably heavy cleaning. While it cleaned ok, I felt it lacked the ultimate bite of a dedicated tire cleaner. Having said that, Green Star does not have the harsh smell that most rubber and tire cleaners exhibit, making it more pleasant to use. I could see this being a good maintenance tire cleaner, not completely stripping the tire, but cleaning it sufficiently for the next application of dressing.

Tire Cleaner – Can be if desired
    Wheel Cleaner – Can be if desired
    Dilution – Yes, I would do 5:1 for tires
    Scent – None, very mild
    Cleaning Ability – 5/10
    DFB Score – 5/10

Conclusions -

The product here I grab the most is easily Brake Buster, it just does the job and, to me, has the best user experience.

Adam’s Rubber & Tire Cleaner is an excellent option too, I just wish it was better priced here in Australia.

Shine Supply Wise Guy is another staple of mine, having been in my cabinet for a number of years now. The price is softened buy the product being diluted.

Wildcard is easily Stoner’s Tarminator. Not designed for tyre cleaning in mind, but when you need the sledge axe, it’s a worth addition to the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tire Cleaning Comparison Thread

I have two bottles of Tuf Shine tire cleaner because I always read it is very good. I wonder how it compares to all of these tested.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do the tyre clean/prep too much, big rubber and off-roading make it a little expensive in the long run. The only one of these I've used is TWHSHFW&TP, the scent never bothered me, but I really didn't like it for cleaning my powder coated wheels, it seemed to leave hazing that had to be polished out, other than that it seemed very effective on tyres.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

4. Likes Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I have two bottles of Tuf Shine tire cleaner because I always read it is very good. I wonder how it compares to all of these tested.
    I too have heard good things for as long as I have been a member here, so I really want to try Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner, but it's not available here.

I lie, a Google search reveals I can get a 22oz bottle for only $141 with free delivery! (And no, that is not a joke)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I don't do the tyre clean/prep too much, big rubber and off-roading make it a little expensive in the long run. The only one of these I've used is TWHSHFW&TP, the scent never bothered me, but I really didn't like it for cleaning my powder coated wheels, it seemed to leave hazing that had to be polished out, other than that it seemed very effective on tyres.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    That's the reason why I mentioned that I wouldn't use it as a wheel cleaner. Just too aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tire Cleaning Comparison Thread

Yikes! Talk about expensive!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! Talk about expensive!
    I'm guessing $120 of that will be that "free" shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the TW product....smell did not bother me, and it did a very good job on tires. A while ago, I decided to simplify things and cut down on specialty products. My tire and wheel cleaner of choice is Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, mixed at 10:1 in an IK foamer. So far, it has not met a tire it could not clean. If I'm prepping a tire for a coating, I will do a final wipe down with mineral spirits to make certain I have a completely clean tire.

10. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+ 1 for Break buster i just find it does a two for one job, Wheels and tyres.

The smell reminds me of dark chocolate, I'm glad i bought 5 gallons

12. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is good, I have a bottle of the 303 tire cleaner that I haven't tried yet, that is also supposed to be very good. Either here or at Autopia we have a member who works at the parent company of 303, who has been steering their product development a bit to make products for us enthusiasts. Of course I can't remember which member that is.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems like they stopped making the 303 Tire & Rubber Cleaner before I even got to try mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast