First off to set everyone's mind at ease, I have only good things to say about Mohs.

TLDR summary: Mohs Evo is an amazing coating.

Now for those that stuck around...

Late last November just as used car prices were falling and just a week or two before interest rates shot up, we scooped up a CPO 2019 Acura MDX. At the time the weather was getting cold and it wasn't a good time to do a full detail, so I slapped a layer of Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant on it and waited for Spring. My original intent was to do a fully documented detail on the vehicle with lots of pictures. However, once I got started I remembered how it is nearly impossible to get any good pictures while detailing a white car, so this will now just be a quick overview of the work and a review of the coating. The curse of white colored cars: It's really hard to see your work and when you're done any real improvements are REALLY hard to see.

Detailing summary: The paint on the vehicle was in pretty rough shape. When I put it under the lights and got a good look I felt like I just brought home a neglected pet from a rescue shelter. Despite a good interior and being mechanically sound, the white paint was hiding a lot of automatic car wash abuse. In it's previous life the dealership used it as a service loaner, so it probably saw the wash bay at least a couple times a week. I polished it out with an assortment of cutting and polishing pads and used Blackfire Compound on most areas. Wolfgang Uber Compound was used on really bad areas, mostly the middle door areas on both sides. My original intent was to use Griots Correcting Cream, but the product in my bottle separated since I last used it. Fortunately I had samples of the other products still lying around. To Griots credit, I've got a new bottle on the way, no questions asked. Lesson learned: Check you inventory before taking off work and starting the job!

Now to the good stuff: Gyeon Mohs Evo

Before applying the coating I watched a couple video's to make sure I knew what I was getting into. One thing that stood out while watching Esoteric's video was Todd going on about how easy Mohs Evo is to apply. At the time, I thought it couldn't be as good as easy as he said...nope, he was right. There are two reasons why I felt the coating was so easy to apply.

1. It flashes fairly quickly and the "seating action" is really easy to spot. Even on white paint if you get the lighting right. As soon as the little sweat beads show up, it's ready to go. In the mild/humid conditions of my garage, this was around 15~20 seconds. Just enough time to do a 2x2 section, put down the coating bottle and grab your buffing towel.

2. Wipe off was effortless. With CQUK 3.0 or even Pure EVO, even if you wait out the longer flash time, there is always the potential for light smearing or streaking when buffing it out. With those coatings you also need to have both a short nap towel and a longer nap towel to do a good two step buff off. With Mohs EVO you need none of that. The minute you see the sweat beads the buff off with a low nap towel is an effortless swipe and there is no danger of smearing or streaking which often leads to ugly high spots. The easiest coating to buff out by a very wide margin.

Those two factors meant I was able to work really rapidly and move right around the vehicle one section at a time. With longer flashing coatings I frequently find myself standing around with multiple panels covered just waiting for the coating to flash. Lots of lost time. Not so with the Mohs EVO. I did the whole application in record time for me on a vehicle this size.

Mohs Evo is also slicker feeling than CQUK or Pure Evo, if that is your thing. I could actually feel the surface change while I was buffing it out. Never noticed that outside a couple sealants before. It's not a big deal to me, but I know it is for many.

Despite the difficulties with white, the end result is a nice look which is crisper, and brighter, and the coating adds a nice layer of gloss.

If Mohs Evo stands up to its claims in durability and water behavior, it will replace CQUK as my go-to coating and the one I'll recommend to others as well. The ease of application is a huge win. In a world when most coatings look pretty good and last several years, ease of application is a great way to stand out from the rest.