autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Preparation Product Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    Potent good, potent bad?
    Potent smelling, as in hurts your nostrils potent. This is not a Carpro Eraser or Gyeon Prep type of smell, a very strong IPA type.

Post Thanks / Like

I somehow missed this thread when first posted.

Great review. I've used the Gyeon Prep and Eraser almost exclusively and since both work so well, never felt the need to move one to anything else since they work so well. I tend to stick to Eraser due to price.

I loved the original comments about the Eraser and Prep sents. For me they are like an air freshener for my garage. I use them and the garage smells great the rest of the day!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes Big Dave, CleanIT, Prange, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eraser reminds me of Fruity Pebbles. Gyeon Prep smells good too, but it's not Fruity Pebbles good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I somehow missed this thread when first posted.

Great review. I've used the Gyeon Prep and Eraser almost exclusively and since both work so well, never felt the need to move one to anything else since they work so well. I tend to stick to Eraser due to price.

I loved the original comments about the Eraser and Prep sents. For me they are like an air freshener for my garage. I use them and the garage smells great the rest of the day!
    Same. Love Gyeon Prep. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    Same. Love Gyeon Prep. Good stuff.
    Makes for a great household-cleaner-lite as well. Stainless appliance, glass stove tops, solid surface countertops, appliance touchpads. Sunglasses too. Paint Preparation Product Shootout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Likes DFB, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Makes for a great household-cleaner-lite as well. Stainless appliance, glass stove tops, solid surface countertops, appliance touchpads. Sunglasses too. Paint Preparation Product Shootout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It really does. I find myself using it on so many things around the house.

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding to the initial comparison, I've had a play around with the new Rupes duo, Reveal Lite and Reveal Strong. In both cases, these products were "revealed" late last year and represent Rupes's first attempt at a panel prep spray.

Rupes Reveal Lite -

Reveal Lite was designed for use as a pre and post polishing cleanser, able to be used safely on all surfaces to remove polishing oils, chemical residues, "non-durable fillers", waxes and other contaminants. Rupes suggest it's a suitable exterior glass cleaner too. Compared to Reveal Strong, Lite can be used more liberally, meaning it can be sprayed directly onto the surface, in that regard its similar to Carpro Eraser.

In use, Lite will cut through polish residue with ease without feeling too grabby. Initially, I thought the scent was rather pungent, but I have actually come to quite like it. The scent is hard to describe, sort of like a melon/pineapple mashup. The flash time was just about right too.

The only drawback is the price, at least in Australia, with a 750ml bottle of Reveal Lite being just under twice the price of Carpro Eraser. In the US, Lite is only $2.00 more than a 500ml bottle of Eraser.

Prices –

750ml - $34.95 AUD / $17.99 USD

Scent – 8/10.
    Feel – 10/10
    Value – 4/10 (AU) 8/10 (USA)
    Overall – 9/10

Rupes Reveal Strong -

Reveal Strong was designed as a last, thorough wipe prior to coating. It's advised Stong only being used on "fully cured paint, hard and chemical resistant surfaces". Compared to Reveal Lite, Strong is best used sparingly, applied to the towel and never directly onto the surface. Think of Strong as being similar in concept Gtechniq Panel Wipe.

Reveal Strong has a much faster flash period, but still offers decent lubricity. Again, the scent is hard to describe, think of it like Vanilla laced IPA.

Again, the drawback is the price, although you do use way less product so a 750ml bottle of Reveal Strong should last quite a while.

Prices –

750ml - $45.95 AUD / $23.99 USD

Scent – 6/10.
    Feel – 10/10
    Value – 4/10 (AU) 8/10 (USA)
    Overall – 8/10

I get the feeling both Lite and Strong versions of Reveal have had a rather soft reception. In Australia, NONE of the online detailing suppliers bother to carry them, despite being Rupes dealers. I actually had to order these from a large tool retailer, so go figure. Overall, I'm very impressed Reveal, more than I expected. Do they replace Eraser, no, especially compared to Lite. But Strong presents a good case for a through, final wipe product.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up. Thanks.

12. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234