autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Preparation Product Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I can see a Diggers spray bottle from where I'm sitting right now, but I can also see Carpro Eraser, which smells much nicer. I haven't really noticed a difference in the results. I suppose I could wipe down half the car with IPA and the other half with Eraser, then coat both with say, Collinite 845, and see if there's a difference in beading and longevity, if we want to get scientific.

I put a layer of Collinite 845 on my FJ a few weeks ago, it was as much about the results as the process, zoning out while applying and buffing. I still have some Dodo Juice waxes on the shelf as well.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Is the smell so important ? I remember when Meguiars started with products that smelled like lollies. Still, the efficiency should be a priority, but I can see that many pay way too much attention to smell.

I really enjoy applying the 845, 2 layers 24hrs apart.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of posted noted negatives about using IPA and water. Not sure if there true.

I well say for sure Eraser and Prep have more lubricity which also important for marring after just polishing

I personally have seen a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    Is the smell so important ? I remember when Meguiars started with products that smelled like lollies. Still, the efficiency should be a priority, but I can see that many pay way too much attention to smell.

I really enjoy applying the 845, 2 layers 24hrs apart.
    Speaking for myself, smell can make a difference between really enjoying using a product, and just using something just because it works. If the only difference is odour, then I'll use the one that I like the smell of.

I've been given products by people who bought them but then didn't like the smell, but I do, it's a personal thing.

There's also products I really didn't like the smell of, but they worked so well, I've kept using them. Most wheel cleaners for example. I think I'm used to them now.

Collinite 845 has a smell I'd describe as neither offensive or inoffensive, but the Dodo Juice waxes smell great, I was given a free sample of their Blue Velvet car scent. The 845 is easier to apply, but the Dodo Juice is easier to buff off. The 845 can be a bit of a PITA to buff off the roof of the FJ, the white paint is single stage, but the rest of it is clear coated.

5. Likes DFB, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking for myself, smell can make a difference between really enjoying using a product, and just using something just because it works. If the only difference is odour, then I'll use the one that I like the smell of.
    This!

For example, Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Hyper Foam Wheel Cleaner & Tire Prep (who was the idiot that came up with that stupid name!?).

For its intended role, this product is a sledgehammer! But I avoid using it because the horrible smell that seems to linger for hours after using it. Granted, tire and wheel cleaners are rarely scented, but this would be the worst smelling of all that I have tired.

A scent has no bearing on how the product performs, but it certainly makes using the product more pleasant. If a product is pleasant to use, the consumer will be more inclined to buy it again. So, a good or inoffensive scent benefits the consumer and the manufacturer.

7. Likes Big Dave, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently started wearing a p90 face mask while compounding .. all those nano particles can't be healthy at all.

Inhalation of anything chemical in my view is not gonna bring any good, especially in the long run.

Each to their own.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

9. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently started wearing a p90 face mask while compounding .. all those nano particles can't be healthy at all.

Inhalation of anything chemical in my view is not gonna bring any good, especially in the long run.

Each to their own.
    Very smart, and don't let peer pressure shame you into not protecting yourself. I have a friend who gave up being a panel beater/spray painter because of all the chemicals, and working for dodgy shop owners. However he's still a smoker.

How many young guys have been given, or are about to be given death sentences, after working in engineered stone manufacturing without protection.

Safety issues were one of the reasons I left my last job, shoddy equipment and work practices.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Each to their own.
    Very smart, and don't let peer pressure shame you into not protecting yourself. I have a friend who gave up being a panel beater/spray painter because of all the chemicals, and working for dodgy shop owners. However he's still a smoker.

How many young guys have been given, or are about to be given death sentences, after working in engineered stone manufacturing without protection.

Safety issues were one of the reasons I left my last job, shoddy equipment and work practices.

If I was doing this on a daily basis, I would be masking up too. No shame at all.

I have worked in the horticultural industry since I was 16, so just over 20 years. The amount of chemicals I have used in that time is surely a first-class ticket towards cancer. In my line of horticulture, most of the really nasty chemicals are long gone, they were being phased out about 10 years ago. The ones that remain require a chemical users certificate.

The worst chemical I have ever used is a weed killer called Spray Seed, sometimes called by its active ingredients, Paraquat or Diquat. This chemical works by burning the foliage within a short period of time, on hot day that can be within an hour! An foul, horrible product to use that can burn through human flesh. I used that stuff for years, unmasked. Some of that is ultimately my responsibility, but the employer was and still is lax on that sort of stuff, you know, the job has to be done mentality.

SPRAY.SEED 250 Herbicide | Syngenta Australia

13. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the test. Well done.

I've been using Eraser since it came out. Waiting for a sale, I'm going to try Megs Hybrid Paint coating, which comes with it's own surface prep.

15. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The new Rupes Reveal duo arrived for testing today -

After hearing some positive remarks about the Lite version, I wanted to see how the two compare. After a quick sniff, both smell very potent.

17. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    The new Rupes Reveal duo arrived for testing today -

After hearing some positive remarks about the Lite version, I wanted to see how the two compare. After a quick sniff, both smell very potent.
    Potent good, potent bad?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast