autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new Tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need new Tires?

My first reaction after clicking the link.....

W. T. F. lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My neighbor hated his run flats on his BMW so much he replaced them with regular tires.
    Run flats are garbage.
    The ride is trash and with low profile tires you are way more likely to bend a wheel especially with the soft alloy bmw oem wheels.

I have 2 bmws and got rid of the run flats with less than 200 miles on the tires.

To me that does not look like what the sidewalls will look like but looks more like a cutaway to show
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My neighbor hated his run flats on his BMW so much he replaced them with regular tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Run flats are garbage.
    The ride is trash and with low profile tires you are way more likely to bend a wheel especially with the soft alloy bmw oem wheels.

I have 2 bmws and got rid of the run flats with less than 200 miles on the tires.

To me that does not look like what the sidewalls will look like but looks more like a cutaway to show
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    So far I have just slightly over 2,000 miles on them so I really haven't formed any opinion

What did he hate about them?

If I was living in America I would certainly hesitate to take a long trip without investing in a spare and jack and stuff

It says you can travel 50-75 miles with a flat so you would be good to go in an urban environment but not crossing Arizona or Montana or something

I actually checked with a couple of tire shops in Anchorage before we shipped it over here and apparently nobody sells new donut spares
    I hated them as well for the above stated reasons. Mike, if and when you decide to replace them with regular tires..just get a cordless inflater, Ryobi makes a good one and a tire repair kit. I went one step further and put a small 1.5 ton hydraulic jack in my trunk.

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That cordless inflator works really well.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I hated them as well for the above stated reasons. Mike, if and when you decide to replace them with regular tires..just get a cordless inflater, Ryobi makes a good one and a tire repair kit. I went one step further and put a small 1.5 ton hydraulic jack in my trunk.
    Thanks Ron

I bet if I scrounged hard enough I could find a new donut tire in a junk yard

The hard foam insert for the spare and Jack stuff is still below the rear deck, but it only has the lug nut key and the screw in tow ring

If I get around to scrounging a spare I will probably try to source all the stuff for changing the tire as well

I haven’t had the courage to price it all from Lexus but it’s gotta be identical to a Toyota product so if I can get part numbers I should have more options for searching

We only take the little car out once every couple weeks and drive to the west end just to get out of the house

It’s hardly enough for me to even worry about the ride or the noise

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Run those run flats till they go flat. LOL. Seriously, for as little that you and Donna drive, it wouldn't be worth changing tires at this time. Keep looking for a donut spare and you should be good to go.

8. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, one more check mark in the FAIL column

These Bridgestone Run Flats don’t hold air for $#!t

I just backed the car out to wash it and the tire light was on so I flipped the display over to the tire pressure screen and one tire is down to 27 which triggered the warning light and the rest were 3-4 pounds under spec

That’s after sitting for less than two weeks since our last drive

I was going to wash it and get the cover on because we are headed to Alaska soon but now it’s got to go to town for air first

PITA

Post Thanks / Like

So, one more check mark in the FAIL column

These Bridgestone Run Flats don’t hold air for $#!t

I just backed the car out to wash it and the tire light was on so I flipped the display over to the tire pressure screen and one tire is down to 27 which triggered the warning light and the rest were 3-4 pounds under spec

That’s after sitting for less than two weeks since our last drive

I was going to wash it and get the cover on because we are headed to Alaska soon but now it’s got to go to town for air first

PITA

For all the things you do around the house and garage..you should get a small air compressor.

11. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    For all the things you do around the house and garage..you should get a small air compressor.
    I know I should but it's like several other things like that, I have them in Alaska and we just keep dancing around whether or not to pack it all up and send it here or not

We are probably going to look for a house in Alaska while we are up there that Donna will be comfortable with but the insane prices up there right now are making us hesitate

I had to buy a new circular saw and a reciprocating saw for a project last month even though I already have both in corded and cordless in Alaska

Driving me nuts

I had a nice 12v compressor for the car but I left it out once and it disappeared while we were having work done

Heavy sigh

Post Thanks / Like

What did he hate about them?

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Run flats are garbage.
    This. My 4 series came with them and they were terrible. The ride was terrible because the sidewalls are so stiff it transmits all impacts into the suspension and the car. They are really loud too. If that wasn't enough the summer run flats on my car offered far less grip than conventional tires and they wear out much faster. Should I mention they are heavier, cost far more, and some smaller tire shops may not have equipment capable of mounting/dismounting them?

One of the happiest days in my ownership of that car was getting rid of my run flats and mounting a set of conventional tires. It really transformed the car for the better.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes chilly, SNP209 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast