autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Black Shine tire and trim coating

Hi all,

Preface: let me say im a big fan of Griots, i have the g9, the g8 mini, I love their compounds and towels, and even their 3 in 1 ceramic wax. This review isnt me hating on a brand.

A while back I ordered some black shine tire and Trim coating as part of a larger order of things. I was running low on my go to options and figured id try this. I used it for the first time about 2 weeks back getting one of my old trucks ready to sell.

Application:
    I cleaned the tires with some soap and a drill brush as prep. I sprayed the tire shine on, and was surprised by how much it took for an even coating. By the time i had everything coated, there was too much on the tire. I wiped the extra off and went on to the next tire. Once id done all 4 i came back and had to wipe a few more times to keep it from being actually wet. I followed the instructions, and this isnt my first aersol tire shine (blackfires was really good).
    All this would be fine if a little annoying if it werent for the over spray. It got on every window on the truck, the windows of my other car parked next to it, and it wasnt even windy.

Shine:
    It is SHINY, if you like shiny this is the stuff for you. I was a bit dissapointed that i wasnt able to dull the shine by wiping off as one usually can with other tire dressings. I dont like shine, but I cant ding the product for that since its supposed to be shiny. Just know, if you get this expecting to be able to dull the shine by whiping the tires down after application, it wont work as expected.

Durability:

It lasted the week it took me to sell the truck, it didnt seem to be wearing off at that point either.

Bottom line:
    I wont buy this again, i wont even finish the bottle because it created a bunch of extra work for me having to re-clean the windows and wipe down the paint. I am also not a fan of the shine, but again thats not a ding on the product since it advertises shine. If you want VERY shiny tires and are veryn careful with application this is probably a good product for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Black Shine tire and trim coating

are you talking about 2 products or just one?

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is 1 reason why pics help.Griots Black Shine tire and trim coating

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    are you talking about 2 products or just one?
    Black Shine™ Tire & Trim Coating - Griot'''s Garage This product specifically

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used that but I have used...Trim& detail coating (aerosol ).....60 % went on the trim....40% went into the air all over the place.
    Won't be buying it again

Griot's Garage Trim & Detail Coating

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used that but I have used...Trim& detail coating (aerosol ).....60 % went on the trim....40% went into the air all over the place.
    Won't be buying it again

Griot's Garage Trim & Detail Coating
    Ditto!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

9. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s a bit strange. They seem like they’d be the same exact product.

As far as aerosol trim shine sprays, I use the 1 Meguiars offers, but I’ve never tried it on tires. It’s 1 of those products that only gets used once in a while but I like to have it available on my shelf.

I mainly use it on honeycomb plastic grills [not the piano black glossy grills]

The other place where it excels is for dressing the rubber parts inside the door jambs. Nothing works better.

It can also be used to coat windshield cowls especially if you’re in a pinch. It’s the fastest way to do it, but you better have good aim or the overspray will cost you…

Speaking of overspray, the Meguiars version [D4510]has an adjustable nozzle [L,M,H] not sure if Griots went out of their way to copy I mean think of the details the way Meguiars does. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Won't be buying it again
    Any tire or trim product in aerosol form is a non-starter for me.

I learned my lesson with the old Meguiars Hot Tire Shine Tire Gloss Coating many years ago. Exact same result as Bosko mentions. There was always a gust of wind waiting for me to press the button on the can. The result was always overspray all over the car. No thanks.

As for it being shiny, Griots does say it delivers "maximum gloss". Sounds like it hit that mark, but it wasn't what you wanted.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

this is why I use the Griots Black Satin Tire Coating.....easy application and not super shiny. I do not spray it on the tire...I spray it on an applicator and apply

14. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Aerosol products are time savers but tough to work with. Never used a aerosol tire product that did not sling all over the paint after applying.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast