autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle Wax Hybrid Spray Coating - Are the reviews misleading?

Bump on this thread, since it's the most recent one on these products. This is my experience with both Turtle Wax Seal and Shine (TWSS), and this product (TWHCS), as an amateur working on cars in my family.

The TWSS I used on a blue BMW that sits outside. It had been clayed, compounded, Polished, and waxed (megiuars ultimate line) in late april. The meguiars ultimate liquid wax provides amazing shine and good protection for me for about 2-3 months, it had mostly worn off by July. I applied TWSS after washing on July 23rd, and found it a bit hard to apply without streaking to the hood and other flat surfaces. A little spray of water helped to remove those. The initial slickness and shine was phenomenal, on-par with liquid wax, and it stayed this way for about 2 weeks. After two weeks there was still good shine, but the slickness was much less. Now at 4 weeks later, all the slickness and the extra shine from the TWSS is pretty much gone but the water beading is still ok. I washed the other day and applied a quick coat of meguiars D156, and that brought back a lot of the slickness and shine. So it would seem to me that I might get 6-8 weeks and then the product would be totally gone. For the first 2 weeks It makes washing the car super easy, since the water beads up so readily and dries quickly. Shine was brilliant too.

The TWHCS I applied to a silver lexus that had been washed, clayed, compounded, then wiped down with isopropyl alcohol. This was on July 25th. The paint was clean and grabby, so it seemed like a good base to put the TWHCS on. Application was pretty easy using a light mist per panel, and since the car is silver I did not see much streaking. I let the first coat sit overnight as per instructions, then gave it a second coat the next day. After the second coat, the slickness and shine were phenomenal. It felt so slick to the touch, for sure on-par with TWSS and maybe a bit slicker. If I was prone to hyperbole I might say the car's paint looked "like new" (aside from the plethora of scratches put in from years of scraping by the car in the garage!). Since application the car has sat outside/inside about 50/50, and when outside it has been sitting under trees through a lot of the rain we have seen. The water beading was great for the first 2 weeks as well, and it was pretty self-cleaning (car seemed to stay clean even with no washing). However, now after 4 weeks it seems that the self-cleaning properties (dirt rolling off with water) have gone away as water will dry on the car and leave spots. The paint does bead up very well though, and a quick wipe with some rinseless wash showed that the paint still has good shine and slickness, definitely moreso than the TWSS.

Here is rain on the hood, after a month with simple rinseless wash:

And the front quarter:

It seems to me that the horizontal surfaces are prone to quicker degradation of products, but the beading is still decent.

My verdict: TWHCS seems to last longer than TWSS, in the month that I have tested. I thought initial slickness and shine were very close, but the ceramic spray lasts longer. I think the SNS is a bit cheaper, and does not need the 24h cure time, so that is worth considering. The self-cleaning ability, which is what I was most hoping for, seems to have worn away on the ceramic spray after 3-4 weeks, but since there is still slickness it makes the car quite easy to clean.

I'm not sure if products costing 3-4x what these cost will last dramatically longer and be worth the additional cost. My thinking is not really. I will monitor the ceramic spray on the lexus, and if it keeps the paint smooth and shiny for upwards of 2 months I will be happy. My plan would be to use it on both cars before winter and hope it helps to keep the cars clean through our salt bath months. If anyone has any comments I welcome the feedback.
    2006 330i Sport

2. Likes Rollo liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by leif20 View Post

Bump on this thread, since it's the most recent one on these products.

Not sure why, but your post was placed into the "Moderation Queue".

I just approved it. Just in case you we're wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Not sure why, but your post was placed into the "Moderation Queue".
    Perhaps i've been flagged as a suspicious member... good on your attentive moderation team.

Either way, thanks!

BTW - I used just under 1/4 of the bottle on two coats on the lexus. I think I will reapply before the winter here, probably just 1 coat to boost. Seems to be good value out of the product, in this case.

I was hoping for more self-cleaning, but if it makes washing the car easier then I am still satisfied with it.

How do we think this will hold up to standard touchless car washes? I have read the soap in those is pretty aggressive. I'd like my mother to run it through a wash once every few weeks.
    2006 330i Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Leif,

The product will not survive our Toronto salt. Unfortunately. There are coatings that barely survive the Toronto salt. This product will not really provide you with enhanced self cleaning either. To be quite frank, this is not a very durable product. It's best used to top up after a wash if there's already something more substantial on the car.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

6. Thanks leif20 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Hey Leif,

The product will not survive our Toronto salt. Unfortunately. There are coatings that barely survive the Toronto salt. This product will not really provide you with enhanced self cleaning either. To be quite frank, this is not a very durable product. It's best used to top up after a wash if there's already something more substantial on the car.
    Honestly I wasn't expecting much for such a low price. If it could be half as durable as legit coatings that would be fine with me, I would just reapply more often.

Our salt is particularly caustic i guess. What have you seen that has worked the best?
    This year my stock is full, so I think I will be working my way through what I have on the shelf (TWSNS, TWHCS, megs ULW, I also have griots AIO sealant but I have heard that is less durable).
    2006 330i Sport

8. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump on this thread, since it's the most recent one on these products. This is my experience with both Turtle Wax Seal and Shine (TWSS), and this product (TWHCS), as an amateur working on cars in my family.

The TWSS I used on a blue BMW that sits outside. It had been clayed, compounded, Polished, and waxed (megiuars ultimate line) in late april. The meguiars ultimate liquid wax provides amazing shine and good protection for me for about 2-3 months, it had mostly worn off by July. I applied TWSS after washing on July 23rd, and found it a bit hard to apply without streaking to the hood and other flat surfaces. A little spray of water helped to remove those. The initial slickness and shine was phenomenal, on-par with liquid wax, and it stayed this way for about 2 weeks. After two weeks there was still good shine, but the slickness was much less. Now at 4 weeks later, all the slickness and the extra shine from the TWSS is pretty much gone but the water beading is still ok. I washed the other day and applied a quick coat of meguiars D156, and that brought back a lot of the slickness and shine. So it would seem to me that I might get 6-8 weeks and then the product would be totally gone. For the first 2 weeks It makes washing the car super easy, since the water beads up so readily and dries quickly. Shine was brilliant too.

The TWHCS I applied to a silver lexus that had been washed, clayed, compounded, then wiped down with isopropyl alcohol. This was on July 25th. The paint was clean and grabby, so it seemed like a good base to put the TWHCS on. Application was pretty easy using a light mist per panel, and since the car is silver I did not see much streaking. I let the first coat sit overnight as per instructions, then gave it a second coat the next day. After the second coat, the slickness and shine were phenomenal. It felt so slick to the touch, for sure on-par with TWSS and maybe a bit slicker. If I was prone to hyperbole I might say the car's paint looked "like new" (aside from the plethora of scratches put in from years of scraping by the car in the garage!). Since application the car has sat outside/inside about 50/50, and when outside it has been sitting under trees through a lot of the rain we have seen. The water beading was great for the first 2 weeks as well, and it was pretty self-cleaning (car seemed to stay clean even with no washing). However, now after 4 weeks it seems that the self-cleaning properties (dirt rolling off with water) have gone away as water will dry on the car and leave spots. The paint does bead up very well though, and a quick wipe with some rinseless wash showed that the paint still has good shine and slickness, definitely moreso than the TWSS.

Here is rain on the hood, after a month with simple rinseless wash:

And the front quarter:

It seems to me that the horizontal surfaces are prone to quicker degradation of products, but the beading is still decent.

My verdict: TWHCS seems to last longer than TWSS, in the month that I have tested. I thought initial slickness and shine were very close, but the ceramic spray lasts longer. I think the SNS is a bit cheaper, and does not need the 24h cure time, so that is worth considering. The self-cleaning ability, which is what I was most hoping for, seems to have worn away on the ceramic spray after 3-4 weeks, but since there is still slickness it makes the car quite easy to clean.

I'm not sure if products costing 3-4x what these cost will last dramatically longer and be worth the additional cost. My thinking is not really. I will monitor the ceramic spray on the lexus, and if it keeps the paint smooth and shiny for upwards of 2 months I will be happy. My plan would be to use it on both cars before winter and hope it helps to keep the cars clean through our salt bath months. If anyone has any comments I welcome the feedback.
    "A little spray of water helped to remove those.".... and this is probably where you went wrong and affected the product's durability. Next time, try applying with a microfiber applicator rather than spraying straight on the panel. If you have any spots that dried too fast, apply more product on top of those spots and spread as evenly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate LIquid Wax works quite well. The entire meguiars ultimate wax line is great.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    "A little spray of water helped to remove those.".... and this is probably where you went wrong and affected the product's durability. Next time, try applying with a microfiber applicator rather than spraying straight on the panel. If you have any spots that dried too fast, apply more product on top of those spots and spread as evenly as possible.

As with almost all detailing conversation, seems like I have run up against a contradiction. I have read many places, including on the bottle, that a 'damp' MF will help to remove streaks (TWSNS).

If anything, I think the amount of water is negligible relative to the amount of product.

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Ultimate LIquid Wax works quite well. The entire meguiars ultimate wax line is great.
    Another endorsement for the products that I started out with, I figured they would be just fine for my average use. If I can top up the ULW with megs D156 through the winter i'm sure that will only help.

I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread, but let's say one wanted to step up to a more durable DIY ceramic coating and pay for it. I have read about McKees 37 hydro blue and CQuartz UK 3.0. Would those be considered more 'durable' than the TW/Meguiars/Mothers consumer ceramic stuff?
    2006 330i Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread, but let's say one wanted to step up to a more durable DIY ceramic coating and pay for it. I have read about McKees 37 hydro blue and CQuartz UK 3.0. Would those be considered more 'durable' than the TW/Meguiars/Mothers consumer ceramic stuff?
    CQuartz UK, absolutely by anyone’s accounts. Hydro Blue might perform better for the first few weeks but will fizzle out within a month or two in most environments.

Post Thanks / Like

All due respect to everyone who enjoys the Hybrid Spray Coating, use what you like of course and I'm saying this with no offence intended to anyone.
    A lack of durability from this product has nothing to do with application and everything to do with how Turtle Wax formulated the product. I can say this with confidence because the main solvent is IPA. Nothing that only requires IPA to keep it liquid will provide you with anything more durable than your typical spray wax. If you like something sprayed that is also easy application and lasts longer, I would highly recommend Meguiar's D156.

Cquartz Uk 3.0 is my go to for a ceramic coating. Good price, and good performance. It pretty much fits what I'm looking for in a coating. And truth be told, there's a few professional level coatings that wish they were Cquartz UK 3.0.

Don't kid yourself about the Meguiars Ultimate line. Barry Meguiar's new Ford GT is protected by his Ultimate Paste Wax because honestly, it just works amazingly well. I keep two sealants in my arsenal. One is McKees 37 original Paint Sealant. The other one is Ultimate Paste Wax. Paint sealant for a production application with finishing pad and a porter cable.
    Ultimate Paste Wax when the car isn't going to get coated but deserves a nice show wax but needs something a bit stronger than just carnauba wax.

Only reason I have Ultimate Paste Wax is because I don't like applying liquid sealants. I unno, if I can't rub an applicator on a block of wax, I don't enjoy the application experience.

I don't use products like Hydro Blue or etc will do the same thing a traffic cone will do for a speeding car with a drunk driver behind the wheel as it will do for the road salt. There's something there but that drunk driver is still going right through. When it's all said and done, and the ambulances have come and gone, no one will remember that there ever was a safety cone there in the first place.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

14. Likes acuRAS82, DMiglio liked this post
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast