autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test

March 13, 2019

So as an update, after the touchless wash saw this on CMX side. May have nothing to do with the CMX. Seems like needs a good Iron remover. Possible this was there before or picked up while driving. Keep in mind with the city driving, there is alot of salt, grime, new construction, road construction and demolition I encounter on everyday drive. My last car was "accidentally" sprayed with wet cement splatter.

Rained today and both still beaded well and shed water. CMX on windshield did pretty good still too.

I'll try to wash one panel and perhaps spray with colored water to see if any difference. If anyone is interested.

Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190312_121602-jpg

Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190312_121558-jpg

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes keep updating. Roads are filthy but spring is coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking through photos on my phone. The night photo is with nothing on the glass and after a heavy rainstorm.

The daytime photo is after, with CMX on windshield, during a rainstorm. Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190223_175945-jpgMothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-20190309_143600-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

March 14, 2019

Well I looked stupid taking the photos so far in this set. Standing in pouring rain lol. Last time I did this, someone asked if someone hit my parked car Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test.

Had a torrential downpour, was parked in it, drove about 5 miles in it today. Parked again in it to capture more water behavior. Started coming down insanely, so I ran back from the garage to drive out and park in the rain hahaha.

So, interestingly to my eye, the PNS seems to have tighter beading now and perhaps keeps the panel dryer? Almost as if it shed water better and has different beading angle? No clue.

Remember now, last wash I went through was a touchless. Due to my pulled back and other issues I havent been able to do a rinseless wash. I'm assuming if the touchless left anything behind it is gone by now. If it isn't, the PNS and CMX side definitely have a discernible difference. Especially on the hood and trunk. The vertical panels still seem to bead tightly.

Surprisingly CMX is doing VERY well on windshield and still hasnt been removed from the touchless wash, wiper use and rain 2 days in a row.

When I can, I will do a rinseless wash on the hood and trunk with N914. Spray some colored water to see water behavior. That way we can observe and determine if CMX beading has indeed deteriorated. Just in case beading has been impacted by residue from touchless wash or traffic film/contaminants on the panels. Then make my final determination.

I will say I was a little surprised today based on the results.

Ask away any questions you may have!

Click photos for higher quality!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test-screenshot_20190314-122458_gallery-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

March 14, 2019 PNS side

Click for high res

Post Thanks / Like

Mar 14, 2019
    CMX side, click for high res

Post Thanks / Like

March 14, 2019

Some side by side photos, left side PNS, right side CMX

Windshield with beads is slow rain, the cleared windshield is water running off during heavy rain.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of surprised by the performance difference and OCD. I'm going to go do a N914 waterless wash on hood and trunk lid right now and report back.

10. Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

March 14, 2019

Typed a long post and the app just lost it! So I will keep it short and sweet.
    Ok, a bit surprised and disappointed by CMX performance I decided to wash with N914.

Just in case beading was being concealed by dirt/grime/touchless car wash. Which still to be is a bit disappointing. I still wanted to rule out CMX started to fail at barely the 1 month mark.

Process
    Washed with N914 at waterless dilution. Sprayed panel heavily, then wiped and dried.

Sprayed with blue Crayola bath tablet mixed in water. Ingredients are
    Sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, lactose, polyethelene glycol, mineral oil, blue#1 yellow #5 red #33

Then rinsed off. CMX struggled to shed the color and PNS didnt. CMX beads are irregular shaped and allows water to pool on a panel. The PNS just repels the water! Insane tight beads. See photos.

Post Thanks / Like

CMX side vs PNS. PNS is the tighter beads.

Dont even feel like labeling because it's so obvious

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast