autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test

Saw a buddy yesterday so applied CMX to some parts of his truck. Washed panels with N914 as a waterless, then N914 at panel prep. I did the drivers window, drivers side cowl trim, drivers side hood, drivers side front fender and rear bed plastic trim. Was full of dust and dirt due to construction near his vehicle.

Poured some water today to see how the hood did, very hydrophobic. Right side CMX, left side nothing.

Can see water just sitting on untreated side. Let's see how it does in rain tonight, he parks outside so shoukd be a good gauge.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    CMX left side of my finger, PNS right side

Notice on bottom of hood, water looking on CMX side.

PNS

CMX

It will rain tomorrow so let's see how it does in the rain.
    Looks like CMX is done to me. Try washing it with Reset and see if it comes back to life. I doubt it though.

4. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Looks like CMX is done to me. Try washing it with Reset and see if it comes back to life. I doubt it though.
    Unfortunately I live downtown in an apartment with no access to a hose. All my washes have been rinseless or waterless now for the past 6 years.

I will occasionally do a 2 bucket wash, but requires too much work and coordination (taking all my supplies, including hose and sprayer to a friends house with a garage).

Plus been too cold in Chicago to wash outside.

Even if reset were to fix it, this would be very abysmal performance as you can see how Sonax PNS is going strong, with minimal work (no special wash or special toppers).

Before applying anything, the car had 0 protection from dealer. The water was completely flat with 0 beading. So CMX is still there, just not doing a great job of repelling water.

I may try some Ech2o perhaps to see if it brings the CMX back to life.

6. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wondering if you could do a pretreatment with a degreaser or something like a bug remover. And wipe it off with a waterless wash concentration of N-914. For me often a TFR prewash is very effective to revive a LSP and a cured CMX should be very chemical resistant.

Sonax PNS shows again that it's a very high quality that stays clean in the sense of releasing the dirt very good when washed. Maybe not unfair to CMX but just knowing that PNS is very effective to this against other very good protection too. So maybe CMX needs a little more help with the cleaning from a degreaser.

EcH2O in rinseless wash would have a very little impact of what it's leaves behind I think. So could be an option to try out and see how it cleans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Unfortunately I live downtown in an apartment with no access to a hose. All my washes have been rinseless or waterless now for the past 6 years.

I will occasionally do a 2 bucket wash, but requires too much work and coordination (taking all my supplies, including hose and sprayer to a friends house with a garage).
    Outside with no garage? Cquartz UK 3.0 and & Gliss and be done with it. You'll thank me later.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Outside with no garage? Cquartz UK 3.0 and & Gliss and be done with it. You'll thank me later.
    Is it that good? I tried McKee's 37 coating v2 and had not so good luck with longetivity. I have been looking into carpro coatings. Wondering if its worth the jump because my car is always outside.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post
    Is it that good? I tried McKee's 37 coating v2 and had not so good luck with longetivity. I have been looking into carpro coatings. Wondering if its worth the jump because my car is always outside.

Funny...I've got Mckee's 37 v2 on my two vehicles, park outside, live in Northeast, and I am just at the point of needing to reapply, after about 18 months. I do top it off with DG aquawax as my drying aid, though, which may have helped with longevity some.

UK 3.0 was on my short list as well, though, after plowing through the forums when choosing.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    Funny...I've got Mckee's 37 v2 on my two vehicles, park outside, live in Northeast, and I am just at the point of needing to reapply, after about 18 months. I do top it off with DG aquawax as my drying aid, though, which may have helped with longevity some.

UK 3.0 was on my short list as well, though, after plowing through the forums when choosing.

Eric
    My application didnt even last a full year. It's strange...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post

Yep. I have a customer who's car sits out 24x7 and has Quartz UK and Gliss v1 on it and it's sheeting like day one he said. Loves it. Both my vehicles are daily drivers through winter and show no signs of degradation. Currently ours have GYEON on them but I put them both up there as equals as I've had CarPro on them before.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

14. Thanks Maxreed241, 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Yep. I have a customer who's car sits out 24x7 and has Quartz UK and Gliss v1 on it and it's sheeting like day one he said. Loves it. Both my vehicles are daily drivers through winter and show no signs of degradation. Currently ours have GYEON on them but I put them both up there as equals as I've had CarPro on them before.
    Thanks! I might have to do that. I do like coatings performance, I just don't want to do recoat every 6 or 8 months. Do you recommend Gliss on top of CQUK 3.0 or just run 2 coats of CQUK 3.0?

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast