autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country CCS Pads (new improved version)

Like so many of us, I got my start in paint polishing using Lake Country CCS pads with a Porter Cable. It was probably the most popular tool / polishing kit Autogeek sold at the time. Initially I had 6.5" pads, and later learned 5.5" pads were better with the PC7424XP.

Then I got a Rupes Bigfoot. Those thick CCS pads just don't work well with the long throw polishers, at least thats my experience. They were just to thick and bulky. To make them more compatible with long throw polishers, Lake Country redesigned the CCS pads and made them thinner with a beveled edge. So I bought a few to try.

To make a long story short, they worked just fine. While they are thinner than the original CCS pads, they still seem a little thicker than the thin pro pads (which is what I had mostly been using). I had no over heating or melting pad issues with these pads on my Rupes (ive never melted any pad on my rupes to be honest). If you are familiar with the old version of these pads, then you will surely like these newer thinner versions in my opinion. While I love the thin pro pads for my Rupes, I will keep these in my arsenal as well.

Lake Country CCS Pads, lake country polishing pads, ccs buffing pads

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country CCS Pads (new improved version)

Not a fan of ccs, give me flats all day long.

4. Likes custmsprty, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Not a fan of ccs, give me flats all day long.
    Same here, I've never liked ccs or hex logic pads.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Same here, I've never liked ccs or hex logic pads.
    Agreed. I think only AG does ccs anymore not sure. Flats cut and finish better compared to the equivalent colour ccs.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with you guys that the CCS pads aren't as good as flat pads. I don't like that they can't be blown out with compressed air as effectively as open-cell pads but the primary reason I don't buy CCS pads is because the pockets don't seem to be deep enough to actually provide a cooler polishing experience. Once I apply the slightest amount of pressure there ends up being the same amount of surface tension as with a flat pad.

But, I LOVE the old CCS "cool wave" white and black polishing pads. I also REALLY love the white and black "Waffle pro" polishing pads. I use flat pads 90% of the time, BUT when working on convoluted panels (like the fenders on Model A's) or when polishing truck grills, wheels faces, or inside door jambs, these pads maintain pad rotation MUCH better than flat pads.

I never use waffle faced pads for cutting ,nor do I use them on flat panels, but for lightly polishing areas that have a ton of concave and convex surfaces those 4" waffle pro pads were amazing.

Dave from LC said they were developing some new pads this year that may be a suitable replacement for the waffle pro pads, so that's exciting. Hopefully he was talking about the redesigned CCS pads, even though I think the updated design (7/8" thickness the tapered edge) is FAR better than the original CCS pad design. Making all the CCS pads the same thickness and replacing the 4" pad size with the 3.5" size is a great move IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I also picked up a dozen of the new CCS pads and I love them!! Like Jaretr1, I am also a huge fan of LC ThinPro's which I use on my GG6, G15, 7424XP and Makita 5000C. But there are times when I want a slightly thicker pad (e.g. for curves) and the new 7/8" CCS is just the ticket! Because they are slightly thinner than the originals, they hold up better on long throw machines - and don't get as warm. The beveled edge is also a plus - they seem much smoother due to less mass caused by a full outer edge of the original CCS. I like them - and hope AG continues to carry them.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

The new green foam is fantastic, similar to the Buff and Shine, and the blue finishes better than the Buff and Shine. Very very impressed with these pads.

I might be making a switch from the B&S to these LC foams.

As far as the CCS vs flat, I only like flats for sealant application. If I'm using any speed on the tool, like 5 or 6, I like the feel and cooler operating of the variegated surface. I'll definitely be buying more.

11. Likes ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    i also picked up a dozen of the new ccs pads and i love them!! Like jaretr1, i am also a huge fan of lc thinpro's which i use on my gg6, g15, 7424xp and makita 5000c. But there are times when i want a slightly thicker pad (e.g. For curves) and the new 7/8" ccs is just the ticket! Because they are slightly thinner than the originals, they hold up better on long throw machines - and don't get as warm. The beveled edge is also a plus - they seem much smoother due to less mass caused by a full outer edge of the original ccs. I like them - and hope ag continues to carry them.

Scotth
    exactly!