autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mille Review

Post Thanks / Like

Mille Review

Mille Review-image-jpg

You ou can read Autogeek's description here.

RUPES BigFoot LK 900E Mille Gear Driven Polisher

I got this machine thus morning and of course within minutes had it on paint. This will be an ongoing review as I spend more time operating the machine.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box, besides the machine itself was the nice long cord. I had forgotten it came with a 25 or 29' cord. It's a great feature which eliminates the use of an extension cord in most situations. Also the 5 and 6" plates which is a definite plus.

Before I get into the operating part of the review a little background on myself. I've been detailing for about 6 years now. I own or have owned all the Rupes polishers sold on AG. I currently have a Duetto and an ibird. I also own or have owned all the Flex machines and currently have a XFE 7 and the mini (sorry can't remember the model). This gives me a lot of experience when comparing machines. If anyone has any specific questions comparing this machine to another particular machine feel free to ask. Obviously the closest machine to this one is the 3401.

I have serious back problems which makes me more sensitive to machine weight, balance, and forces from the machine. I sold my Flex 3401 because of the pain and fatigue is caused. Definitely not taking anything away from the 3401, it's been a workhorse for many if you for years and everyone knows about Flex's quality.

On to the Mille. One of the things I looked for was the trademark Allen wrench conveniently attached to the machine. It wasn't there. Then I checked to see what attached the backing plate, Phillips screws. No problem there, I have plenty of those. The machine itself is about average. I would have to look at the actual weight to see if there is a difference between this machine and the long throw machines.

I started with the blue pad and compound, which is also blue in color. I've always loved the cut of the blue pad, but like most hate the fact that it threw compound everywhere. Because of that I rarely use them. The progressive trigger is a great feature, especially with this pad. The trigger has a nice long pull which makes it very easy to keep the machine at the speed you want. Some progressive triggers are short pull and extremely sensitive to pressure, definitely not the case with this one. Not having to adjust the speed using the dial is great. I spread the compound and increased the speed. It did throw some splatter but nothing like the ibird or larger long throw machines. When operating the machine it seems very well balanced.

Next I used the yellow pad, and the color of the polish is yellow. I guess if you're in a hurry and grab the wrong bottle you'll know it when you out the compound/polish on the pad. Results are the same as the yellow pads/polish as on the other machines. The Rupes yellow pads and polish are definitely my favorites.

Now on to one of the most important subjects for many...does it make you work to keep it going where you want it to. I remember getting my 3401 and the first thing I noticed was it trying to pull me. That's not the case with this machine. I think the flatter pads help some. Also as I had anticipated for me personally the little pull there was I knew what the machine was going to do because of the clockwise rotation. I do have a fair amount of time behind a rotary, I think it's mostly because every polisher, and sander I've ever run has turned clockwise, even when there isn't much pull you learn what the macine wants to do. I did put the machine up on edge which did cause some pull, but that's not how the machine is going to be run most of the time. Bottom line, very minimal effort to keep the machine going where I wanted it to go.

As far as noise this machine is a pretty quiet machine. A little more noise than the long throw machines, but definitely tolerable. It also runs extremely smooth.

In closing if you've been considering a forced rotation, but are afraid you won't like it because of the effort it takes to control it this is definitely the answer you've been waiting for. I look forward to spending more time with this machine and will add information as I learn more from its use.

If any other Mille owners want to add information or their opinion on the Mille please feel free.
    Pros and cons.

Pros: long cord, forced rotation, power, quiet and smooth, long pull progressive trigger, easy machine to run.

cons: They didn't come up with a way to attach a Phillips tool to the machine?? Lol I really find no cons.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

2. Thanks The Guz, SWETM, Diner thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mille Review

Been using mine daily for 6 months now, a real workhorse. My personal sweet spot for this machine is speed 4.5.

4. Likes Lumorales1975 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Been using mine daily for 6 months now, a real workhorse. My personal sweet spot for this machine is speed 4.5.
    I'm sure it is, it has a great feel to it.. I obviously haven't had a lot if time with it but love it so far. So glad it doesn't work me so hard getting it to go where I want it. De

Post Thanks / Like

Nice first impression and write up. We have had it released here about 6 months as ronin wrote. I think it's going to be bigger in the US than in Scandinavia where I live. Here you still have the longthrow mania going on lol. And the 3401vrg has not been so popular here. Cause the pros when wanted to go fast without any hassle they prefer another Flex polisher. That is the Flex Top Tool 2 with 2 4" backing plates and a 16mm throw and you can use 2 6" pads. The vibration is at minimal and one of the quetes polisher around. Even if it's a big polisher it's very surprisingly versitale. They took the Cyclo to another level.

Mille Review-toptool2_tnm-jpg

Will follow your coming experience with the Mille.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I am a Flex 3401 Fanboy, however, I am always open to other competitors tools as to make sure I can stay on top of new product if I ever need a new one in the future. I look at the Rupes as Chevy Camaro and the Flex as the Ford Mustang. Love the battle all it does is make it better for the end user!

Again, great thoughts on the new Rupes Mille!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Dave, thanks for writing it and sharing.

I wonder in regards to the Flex 3401, would it have been a more manageable machine had the rotation been opposite, like the Mille and others?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Nice first impression and write up. We have had it released here about 6 months as ronin wrote. I think it's going to be bigger in the US than in Scandinavia where I live. Here you still have the longthrow mania going on lol. And the 3401vrg has not been so popular here. Cause the pros when wanted to go fast without any hassle they prefer another Flex polisher. That is the Flex Top Tool 2 with 2 4" backing plates and a 16mm throw and you can use 2 6" pads. The vibration is at minimal and one of the quetes polisher around. Even if it's a big polisher it's very surprisingly versitale. They took the Cyclo to another level.

Mille Review-toptool2_tnm-jpg

I've tried for years to get this lol
    Only found online via Russian site
    flex l 1506 vr2

10. Likes SWETM, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I've tried for years to get this lol
    Only found online via Russian site
    flex l 1506 vr2
    Nice for aircrafts and rv’s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

Thank you. That Flex looks like an interesting machine. I really like this Mille and look forward to using it in different situations and documenting my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Great review! I am a Flex 3401 Fanboy, however, I am always open to other competitors tools as to make sure I can stay on top of new product if I ever need a new one in the future. I look at the Rupes as Chevy Camaro and the Flex as the Ford Mustang. Love the battle all it does is make it better for the end user!

Again, great thoughts on the new Rupes Mille!
    Thank you. You're definitely right about the consumer benefitting from the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Nice review Dave, thanks for writing it and sharing.

I wonder in regards to the Flex 3401, would it have been a more manageable machine had the rotation been opposite, like the Mille and others?
    Thank you Mark
    I often wondered about that. As I mentioned even if you're not getting a hard pull you still learn what the machine wants to do when it's spinning clockwise. I also only used the hybrid pads, which are pretty thick on the Flex. I wonder if a thinner pad would have helped with the problem.

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the Mille this weekend. I have been waiting for the Flex XCE but got tired of waiting. Hope I made the right decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast