autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 FC-717 Swirl Remover

I was given the chance to try out McKee's 37 FC-717 Swirl Remover for free, only paying for shipping and in return for a review as well(Spoiler Alert:I have since then purchased a 16oz bottle).

A quick summary of the product, as per Autogeek:

McKee's 37 FC-717 Swirl Remover is the most aggressive swirl remover in the McKee's 37 line, yet it’s not a heavy compound. Applied with your dual action or rotary polisher, this swirl remover is designed to correct paint flaws by gradual smoothing - not grinding down - the paint. Typically, compounds leave more problems than you started with and it takes several more steps to restore smoothness and gloss. McKee's 37 FC-717 Swirl Remover takes a less invasive approach to preserve the paint while it corrects the finish.

In My Own Words:

McKee's 37 FC-717 Swirl Remover is what i can only describe as a heavy cut polish. it will remove most defects and level light scratches, just as you would expect from a quality compound. The reason I use the word polish to describe this product however, is because of three things:

1. FC-717 has the ability to finish down LSP ready. I use the word ability because, while there may not be any noticeable hazing, following up any quality compound with a quality polish will ensure maximum clarity from your paint. Basically, following up FC-717 with a polish comes down to preference, its not a requirement.

2. FC-717 has an incredible working time. It stays very well lubricated throughout the buffing cycle(6 section passes, or even 9 if you feel like it!). FC-717 just doesn't give up.

&

3. Minimal Dusting! I could technically say zero dusting, however, towards the end of each pads "life" before needing to be tossed aside, i did experience very little dusting. Each new pad brought the dusting back to zero.

Chemical Smell?

FC-717 is the result of a reformulation of McKees's 37 Fast Cut Compound. It was reformulated to rid of the chemical smell that was too harsh for some users.
    Upon removing the safety seal, the first thing I noticed was...... a chemical smell. Not harsh, but it was there. No worries though, it must have been a combination of shaking the product, and breaking the seal. i never noticed the smell again throughout the detail. Unfortunately I can't compare FC-717 to its former counterpart, but since i had zero issue with any harsh smells after the initial opening of the product, I think its safe to say they did a great job with the reformulation

The Wipe Off

When doing my first test spot with this product, I was a bit concerned. After 8 section passes, FC-717 was nowhere near the end of its buffing cycle. I wasn't expecting a hard wipe off, where the compound sticks to the paint, but rather the compound just wanting to smear around. Similar to another well known brand of polishes that uses great lubrication for their products.

Surprisingly, the wipe off was near effortless. The first wipe down picked up about 90% of the residue, and after a flip of the towel, a very light wipe down picked up the remaining product. i was impressed!

Proof of Polish:

Vehicle: 2006 Chevy HHR LT
    Polisher: Flex 3401
    Pad: Orange LC Hybrid 5"

The paint before:

After the first test spot:

Not Bad! How about some scratches?

Like these:

The Results:

I did finish up with McKee's 37 Jeweling Wax. I originally prepared for a 3 step, hoping I wouldn't have to as I would have liked to follow up FC-717 with Fast Polish rather than another polish. I had just yet to purchase any. That has since changed though
    FC-717 finished down well enough though to not have to worry about a second polishing step anyway, so I used the Jeweling Wax just because thats what i felt like doing at the time.

Front end after FC-717, before Jeweling Wax:

Final Product:

Final Thoughts:

McKee's 37 FC-717 Swirl Remover is an excellent compound. While there are more aggressive compounds that may get the job done faster, or remove heavier defects(Who knows what FC-717 is capable of with a rotary, or microfiber pad on a DA though), most will do so with sacrificing one of the three points I made above: By dusting, having a short work time, or leaving a haze that requires a second polishing step. Being on the user friendly end of all 3 of those characteristics is what sets FC-717 apart from most other compounds, and I'm glad to finally have it in my arsenal.

P.S. While FC-717 is now classified as a swirl remover, it was formerly classified as a compound, and I see no reason for it not to be. Therefore, i still call it a compound, as well as compare it to other compounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 FC-717 Swirl Remover

Nice review. Thanks! Looks like one more McKee's product for my next order.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Nice review. Thanks! Looks like one more McKee's product for my next order.

Bill
    Thank you sir. I’ll be looking forward to using it on my next paint correction detail

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Impressive results!
    Great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Good review, thanks for posting!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Would of been helpful to see the degree of correction if you placed your light on the bumper and the side mirror as well. Looks good though