autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax PNS vs Carpro Reload

FWIW In my testing of various spray sealants side-by-side, Reload was the 1st to fall flat after just a few weeks of Spring weather (this test was done a couple of years ago). SPNS was not included in my test at the time, though I do like the product in general (as well as SBSD). The water behavior has always been stellar.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    We use Reload over freshly applied CQuartz to keep it from water spotting. It also adds slickness to CQuartz.
    That's my point in saying reload is redundant. Coatings in general are not slick so it's a soft of pointless addition just for the surface to feel slick. As for water spotting, it'll water spot anyway if you don't watch it. I find it easier to just spray a little bit of waterless wash on the spot and wipe it off instead. Saves me from the poor water behavior of something like reload.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    My apologies to all for my last post. Wasn't my intentions to perhaps insult anyone here, and at the time I was perhaps thinking off the grid, and perhaps not that logically.

Before anyone else says it, I've stepped back and thought about this some more, and with some logic.

I'd imagine that sure, one could apply any product they like after coating a vehicle, but will it be the best choice? Will such other products prove beneficial as they are not specifically designed to be used as such.

While my previous comment might be correct, that a lesser wax or sealant won't perhaps damage or remove a coating, but will likely not properly bond with-to the coating, and thus longevity is likely to be less than such products being used solely on their own.

I know that while I'm thinking off the grid in my previous post and would maybe consider trying such as an experiment, I haven't myself actually done this on my coated vehicle, preferring as it would be said to "keep it in the family", and have used nothing but Reload on my own CQuartzed vehicle.

The one-two punch combo of CQ UK and Reload have kept my vehicle looking good, and would guess the Reload has aided the longevity of CQ UK.

I'm currently nearing or at the 3 year mark with CQ UK, and although I have some minor marring caused by a car cover and the rubbing of it by high southwest desert winds and dusts, overall I've been extremely satisfied with these products.

I plan on a total correction again, and the re-application of CQ UK this coming spring when conditions allow.
    MarkD51, no harm no foul. You were just speaking your mind. Maybe I should have explained myself a little better. I am a fledgling in this world and I am just trying to find out what works for me. The piont of compairing these products was to see which one would work better for me in this situation. The cars previous owner allowed water etching on some of the car. I got most of them out last fall and will get the rest out come spring. So part of this trial was to which works better for an outside 24/7 daily driver. While I love the beading the most important component was how the 2 products faired against the weather. 30 minutes after the rains the Sonax PNS side was dry with absolutely no water spots remaining. The Reload side was a different story. The water stayed on the car much longer and much larger bead size. The result was water spots. While they did wipe off, my goal is not to be on a DEFCON 4 alert status ready to wipe the vehicle down at a moments notice. When I look for products, how “bulletproof” they are is a large factor in my decision. I don’t want finicky products and as a stand-alone sealant I just like PNS better. Reload is probably fine over CQuartz.

4. Likes ronkh57, SNP209, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    That's my point in saying reload is redundant. Coatings in general are not slick so it's a soft of pointless addition just for the surface to feel slick. As for water spotting, it'll water spot anyway if you don't watch it. I find it easier to just spray a little bit of waterless wash on the spot and wipe it off instead. Saves me from the poor water behavior of something like reload.
    It maybe pointless and redundant too you, but not to me. I happen to like the slickness that Reload gives me.
    I also don't see much difference in beading from CQuartz or when its topped with Reload. As a matter of fact I like how Reload reacts better than CQuartz alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I've run Reload solo up to 2.5 months, I did of video of this durability test here:

https://youtu.be/7aIT2PF3HKM

PNS is going to have a much higher potential to maintain its durability - it's heavier, it's more hydrophobic from the start and it's more resistant to weathering. Reload has an excellent short term performance and short term resistance to cleaners, but just having it out there enduring the elements is going to take its toll. It definitely survived on the blue test car at a good level at 2.5 months, so I would assume on a daily driver that's garaged I think it would fetch that 4-6 months durability claim, but still not without a significant loss in performance.

In Florida we get those heavy dew soaks in the morning and then it heats up and dries everything off, that constant wetting (mixed with whatever grime is currently on the paint at this point) and natural drying is going to eat into the surface tension of the LSP. Much more so in your environment when you mix in the wetting from the snow and heat from the motor combining with the salt and snow grime - this can really take a lot of LSP's out quick and it looks like Reload was the casualty this time. PNS is insane.

7. Thanks VitreousHumor, ronkh57 thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, VitreousHumor, Ochnob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those of you who have used reload on bare paint and on cquarts coatings. Is the results differing much?

I think that reload as it name suggest is a reload of sio2 to cquarts coatings. That is as the small amount of sio2 is added to the coating you apply it to. I don't think that the behavior is alterning the coating water contact angle so much. But on it's own I think it's a different story. You don't have the same base on a bare paint than on a coating. So the longevity on bare paint and the water contact angle is different than on an already applyied coating. Then when used to a coating for letting the coating to cure the one week it takes. It's a great thing to have for not only water spots but the coating it self I think.

So to sum it up I think reload purpose when manufactured was to reload a coating. Then you can use it as a stand alone sealant also but it was not made for it specific to that in mind.

9. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    So to sum it up I think reload purpose when manufactured was to reload a coating. Then you can use it as a stand alone sealant also but it was not made for it specific to that in mind.

From CarPro's Website.....

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.carpro-us.com/protection/carpro-reload-100ml/
    Reload packs the glass-like gloss, hydrophobicity, and dirt repellency of Silica Nanotechnology in a convenient spray-on, wipe-off sealant. Originally formulated to maintain the protection and finish quality of CQuartz coatings, Reload has also proven itself as a stand-alone sealant, where it can offer up to 6 months of protection on daily drivers.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Zero chance it'll last 6 months on a daily driver.
    '03 Corvette Z06

12. Likes zmcgovern45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The results are the same, on bare paint or coated paint. Which is mostly a month of tight beads but the water contact angle isn't as good so it retains more water on the paint. And of course it doesn't last that long. I use reload, or at least the remaining amount of it I have on my winter times. Spray it on wipe it off, if it has streaks it has streaks, it's for winter steel rims anyways.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it works as stand alone sealant also. But I have not seen any to have the claimed longevity of up to 6 months. And when claims is up to it's rarely lasts that long. I think it's to little of sio2 in it to get that longevity. The upside is that you often can build up the sio2 and when maintance is good and you apply it monthly and maybe Ech2o plus reload as a drying aid or QD. I think you can get a good protection to 6 months. Then if it's a dd I think that it's time for a deep cleaning decon wash and if necessary a finishing polish.

I have build up a sio2 layer with gyeon wet coat and a wash with a car soap with sio2 in it the last 4 months. Today I washed the car and the last time was christmas. A proper prewash and a stronger product to the side of the car got the sheeting back. Then tested a new to me QD but almost the strength of a sealant with 15% sio2 in it. Hope it gets me by to the next wash. I live in a very harsh winter weather. And was satisfied with the self cleaning ability wet coat has giving me so far.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast