autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

4 way tire cleaner showdown - via waterless

I recently tried out Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew for the 1st time and it got me thinking about whether or not all other tire cleaners can be used that same way, or if there really is groundbreaking technology inside that bottle of Mothers... So naturally it lead me to do some testing, and now I present to you a 4 way waterless tire cleaner Battle Royale where only the winners win and the losers go home.

Here are the 4 participants:

Also, I know that D108 Super Degreaser and D114 aren't meant to be used as waterless tire cleaners. I have no apologizes and don't care if it's unfair. [these cheapo shop towels folded in quarters will be used for the testing]

Ok so lets get to it.. Here's the test subject. These tires were cleaned and had Meguiars Hyper Dressing applied to them this past Saturday. I know they don't look dirty at all... It's a constant dilemma with tires around here. Lol.

Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew - Before: Front drivers side tire.

I sprayed the tire with a liberal amount of cleaner, going around the tire about 2 times to ensure even coverage. Directions say let it dwell for 15secs... I gave it 30secs. and proceeded to wipe off the tire.

Loads of dirt & grime easily wiped away onto the towel. I folded the towel and even at the 4th side there seemed to be a substantial amount of gunk still willing to come off the tire. It kind of felt like I could've kept going, but I only wanted to use 1 side of each towel for this test.

After:

Mckee's Rubber & Tire Rejuvenator - Just after spraying onto drivers side rear tire:

I decided to take that before picture after spraying it because of the noticeable amount of browning that was immediately visable coming off the tire. It's hard to see in the pic, but irl it stood out. I let it dwell for 1min. per directions.

Similar to the 1st tire, this was also a positive user experience as the towel glides rather easily across the tire and loads of grime come off and there's no doubt of it's effectiveness.

After:

Megs Super Degreaser@4:1 - Passenger side front tire. I sprayed the same liberal amount as the other tires got and let it dwell for 1min.

Now here's where things begin to get hairy... Wipe off with this tire showed a clear difference between the previous 2 + the gunk seemed to almost hit the wall after 2 quarters of the towel. It dried much faster and you could tell the cleaning cycle was over sooner. Not a very pleasant user experience. There is no doubt a difference between the first 2 compared to this 1.

Things literally got hairy using D108 as a waterless tire cleaner:

After:

If you thought there was a drop off in both performance and user experience with D108, it got even worse trying to use D114 as a waterless, especially with these towels. Gunkola. It was a sticky greasy mess trying to wipe this tire off.

After: It only looks this good because I never let these tires look bad... But trust me, up close/irl this tire is not up to snuff.

Ok here's each of the towels afterwards.

Mothers. Great job. This stuff lives up to its hype. This pic almost doesn't serve its true justice.

Mckee's. Also very good. I'd rate it just slightly under the Mothers, but that margin could've been due to it being the rear tire not having the as much gunk to clean off as the front? But it wasn't enough to make it a clear factor and this still did an excellent job.

Btw, I placed every towel in these after shots in the same direction with the 1st sides used on the bottom and final wipe side on top. I try to remember the small details for equal test results.

Meguiars Super Degreaser@4:1

You can clearly see where it hit the wall as the top 2 sides don't have much on them... I'm actually surprised the the 2nd quarter of the towel the towel has as much as it does. Super Degreaser isn't recommended to be used as a waterless tire cleaner and it's obvious why. Its best to stick to the manufacturers recommended directions for D108.

Meguiars D114.

This isn't a tire cleaner, never claimed to be and I never said it was... However I've had positive results using it to wipe off Coated tires. Trying to wipe off dressed tires was a totally different story. Poor results in every way. You can see how it quit cleaning by the clean 4th quarter of the towel.

I thought I'd share these results for anyone/everyone who's wondered if dedicated tire cleaners can really make a difference or not... As you can see, they do. Thanks for reading.

2. Thanks JustJesus, Diner, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, Angus, JKDesign, rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 way tire cleaner showdown - via waterless

I️ like it eldo! Great way to do that comparison test.

Only weird thing I️ have seen in past threads is people wanting to use the Mothers with water like spray it on and hose it off after scrubbing like a normal cleaner which is the opposite of how it is supposed to work

My only thought after any of this testing is to wonder if the mothers and or mckees would effect longevity of dressing at all. I️ have the mothers and like it and it even leaves tires looking good after but one wonders if it is leaving something that could interfere with dressings

Like I said great post and comparison thanks for doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome comparo Eldo. I love it. I have been reaching for Mckees's Tire and Rubber Rejuvinator more and more especially when doing rinseless washes. I was always worried about using something like Super Degreaser or Super Clean and not rinsing it.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

6. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's neat to see that the Mother's product did so well. I'm a complete convert to McKee's 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator and this year it has been the only tire cleaner that I used. I'm running low so another couple gallons will have to be ordered soon.

D114 and N914 make for good maintenance cleaners for well kept wheels. The other day I did maintenance on a Challenger that I previously coated with CSL. N914 at 1:128 practically melted off everything on the wheels.

8. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

so I use D114 as a tire cleaner at a stronger ratio and I use a tire brush then wipe. it does dry fast though. the mothers looks really interesting.

10. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Eldorado. Good review, sir.

12. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Eldorado2k. I've been a fan of Mothers B2B Tire Renew for some time. I follow up the Mothers with BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant. The two products make a great one two punch for cleaning and dressing tires without the use of a hose.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

14. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to love and use the Mothers for a while since all I do is RW to my cars. But it got to the point where wiping off the brown soil was getting into the grooves of the sidewall. And when its wet it doesn't look noticeable so you can't correct what you don't see. But once fully dried I would get these dirty brown spots in various areas of the tire, including around the outer tread.

This is more prevalent on tires that have gone a longer period of time between cleanings. There is only so much you can "lift" from the tire with a MF rag when your wiping/moving gunk around. Versus the flushing with water in the traditional way.

So I sort of graduated to a blend of both, sort of, in a way. Instead of dragging out the hose I use a garden sprayer with h2o. Spray your tire with your favorite tire cleaner. Scrub. Rinse with the sprayer. Dry with a rag. A much thorough deep cleaning of the rubber. At least in my experience!

There is obviously some runoff so maybe its not exactly a RW but if one were that concerned you could lay down on old beach towel to catch and absorb that runoff. Saw that from another member here.

My 2cents...

16. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes 2FORDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I️ like it eldo! Great way to do that comparison test.

Only weird thing I️ have seen in past threads is people wanting to use the Mothers with water like spray it on and hose it off after scrubbing like a normal cleaner which is the opposite of how it is supposed to work

My only thought after any of this testing is to wonder if the mothers and or mckees would effect longevity of dressing at all. I️ have the mothers and like it and it even leaves tires looking good after but one wonders if it is leaving something that could interfere with dressings

Like I said great post and comparison thanks for doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks bud, as far as trying to use the Mothers like a traditional tire cleaner via spray on/hose off... I actually did it like that the very 1st time I tried it and my 1st impression was "not very impressed" lol.

But I always remind myself not to make a final judgment on any product until I follow the directions to the T.

As far as it interfering with dressings, I highly doubt it would negatively affect them.. The final look and feel from this product reminds me alot of the Mothers Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, and I've never had the final result of that product affect a trim coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Awesome comparo Eldo. I love it.
    Thank you. I appreciate it! 4 way tire cleaner showdown - via waterless

[QUOTE=osiapstndp;1539813]It's neat to see that the Mother's product did so well. /QUOTE]

I had the same feelings, except mine were towards the Mckee's... Even though I've had it long enough to go through almost an entire gallon, I've never tried it this way until now. I was very impressed, even more so than using it the traditional way with a scrub brush/rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    so I use D114 as a tire cleaner at a stronger ratio and I use a tire brush then wipe. it does dry fast though. the mothers looks really interesting.
    I use D114 to maintain the tires on my daily driver, the difference being that those tires are coated.. It's a complete night & day difference as almost no dirt comes off my tires because they remain so smooth & clean, unlike all the dirt that a dressing attracts.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thanks Eldorado. Good review, sir.
    Thanks bro. 4 way tire cleaner showdown - via waterless

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Thanks Eldorado2k. I've been a fan of Mothers B2B Tire Renew for some time.
    If anyone deserves thanks it's you guys, for mentioning it enough times that I couldn't help but give it a shot to see what all the hype was about. Lol. 4 way tire cleaner showdown - via waterless

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    There is only so much you can "lift" from the tire with a MF rag when your wiping/moving gunk around.
    Ok now lets talk towels... The night before I did this 4 way test I tried the Mothers B2B Tire Renew as directed, but instead of using these cheapo small shop rags I used a clean cotton terry towel from my carpet duty stack to do the wipe off.

The terry towel worked waay better than those cheap shop rags. I had a legit wow moment as far as detailing products go... That doesn't happen very often.

Close up view of the gunk.

Next tire before:

After:

Check out the amount of grime that came off of just 2 tires! [yes, I was wearing gloves]

The product paired with a proper towel [IMO cotton terry towel works best] produced amazing results. I'm also certain the terry towel works better than any microfiber towel would.. The same way a cotton terry towel works better than a microfiber when cleaning leather seats, as the microfiber suffers from its lack of bite + it tends to stick & grab onto dirt and grease, which is only intensified when trying to wipe off a dirty tires sidewall.

...However, I'm not so sure I'm willing to sacrifice 1 of my cotton terry towels in exchange for using this product...

Yea, that towel might as well be fubar. IMO it's on par with a towel that's been used to polish bare aluminum. And while I have washed and reused some of my microfibers used to polish metal before, it's borderline red flag in regards to feeling ok to use my normL washing machine. I don't want to throw that greasy grimy towel along with more like it in my washing machine... Would you?

So my question is: What kind of towels do you guys use when cleaning tires with this product? And what do you do with them afterwards? And please don't tell me this is what you use Costco microfibers for, because I can tell just from using 2 kinds of towels so far [cheapest vs. strongest] that they wouldn't be able to provide anywhere near the best user experience or results.

I also bought a roll of thick paper towels, which I have yet to try.

19. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast