autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant

Dear Forum Members,

Tonight I told myself - no detailing after work; go home, sit down and relax. But then I remembered...last week I received a new bottle of Mckees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant and was itching to apply it to my Blue 2014 Audi A4. So with the wife away for the night on business, I found myself subconsciously headed for the garage.

I started with McKees37 rinseless wash; the car did not need claying as it is very well maintained. I could have used a waterless just as well, but opted for the rinseless tonight. Then came the FUN. I applied McKees Hi Def Paint Sealant very lightly and evenly by hand using a foam applicator. My applicator was a little thicker than the one Nick shows on the site so it absorbed some product but no where near as much as other sealants - this stuff is THICK. In terms of smell, it has a fruity smell to it that I would describe as a cross between strawberry and watermelon (?) with a very faint hint of chemical smell to it. Consistency and smell alone made it a pleasure to work with.

As far as removal goes, the directions on the bottle indicate a min. 15-20 minute curing time. I let it sit on the car for one hour and then decided to remove it with a new MF towel. Wait, did I remove it I wondered. I was only in the garage for 5 minutes. Yes that is how easy it is to remove! I was able to remove it from the entire car in 5 minutes flat - and I was not rushing. Still in doubt? Fold a MF towel in 4 and place it on the car with your hand on the towel....now sneeze!!! Yes it is that easy to remove and McKees says it removes even easier if you leave it on longer. I can't imagine it being easier.

After removal, the paint felt as if it had a candy shell on it. The end result is a level of slickness you have to experience to believe. I've used many other paint sealants. Some are very easy to remove and provide great levels of gloss, but this one was by far the easiest to remove and the level of gloss that is on-par with good carnauba waxes. It does not have that typical sterile look often associated with sealants.

I can't speak to durability. My car is never a good candidate for a durability tests anyway because within a month I'll be back out there doing this again :-). Next time I may top it off with McKees Trademark Poli-Coat Wax after waiting 24 hours for the sealant to cure. However, I am very interested in it's durability as that is a very important characteristic of a sealant IMHO. As such, I will be applying it to a friend's car within a week or two. This is a car that gets washed once a year (no kidding) and never garaged making it the PERFECT candidate for a durability test. The last time the test subject was washed was Christmas week 2016 at my house. Since I work with this friend I will get to monitor the durability over time as I see the car almost every day.

If this holds up the 6+ months that McKee's indicates, they have a real winner with this product. I will report back over time on that. Sorry the pics may not be the best - lighting in the garage isn't the best unless I break out all my lights - which wasn't happening at 10 PM (grin).

Hope everyone is well.
    ScottH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-4-jpg   McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-3-jpg   McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-2-jpg   McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-1-jpg   McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-5s-jpg  
    Last edited by ScottH; 11-16-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Adding a pic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant

I wish I had that much open space in the garage to be able to do that.

3. Likes Cruzscarwash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review! The new McKee's sealant is very nice. I let it sit for about 15 hours on my car the first time I used it and it was still very easy to remove. You've got me interested in using the product again but I don't have a test subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I wish I had that much open space in the garage to be able to do that.
    You and I both! I'm moving into an apartment next month so my garage is going to get even smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

I took some pics of my car which I applied paint sealant to but rarely wash the car and it still beads up nicely. ill see if I can get them posted up here later today. I wish I can remember when I ordered the hi def so I have a time frame of when I applied it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I took some pics of my car which I applied paint sealant to but rarely wash the car and it still beads up nicely. ill see if I can get them posted up here later today. I wish I can remember when I ordered the hi def so I have a time frame of when I applied it
    Whether you bought it on AGO or from McKees...check your order history

Post Thanks / Like

Here they are

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Review
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the sealant on my dad's rav4. I've caught him washing his car with a mop before so... let's see how durable this is especially in Canadian winter.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Your post made me laugh - caught him with a mop! Classic.

Post back later in the winter with some observations

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Your post made me laugh - caught him with a mop! Classic.

Post back later in the winter with some observations

ScottH
    Nice review.....this is now on my Christmas wish list.....where in NJ are you...I'm near Atlantic City

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast