autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant

That stuff is awesome. If you like slick paint, wait until it's fully cured.

I used it on my mother-in-law's Lincoln MKT. It's gone through a brushless car wash I trust once, and been washed with meg's gold class once in 3 months since I applied it. Still beads like mad, and is slicker than snot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    That stuff is awesome. If you like slick paint, wait until it's fully cured.

I used it on my mother-in-law's Lincoln MKT. It's gone through a brushless car wash I trust once, and been washed with meg's gold class once in 3 months since I applied it. Still beads like mad, and is slicker than snot.
    How long do you let it cure before wiping off?

Post Thanks / Like

I would always suggest if you have time for as long as possible but at least 15 to 20 minutes. I like to wait overnight if possible, that's when I find it looks the best and has the slickest finish.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

so can I clay my vehicle, than use poor boy's black hole glaze & then top off with McKee's 37 hi-def sealant ? or even if I decide to use 3D- speed or McKee's 360 first before the hi-def sealant ? thanks
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    so can I clay my vehicle, than use poor boy's black hole glaze & then top off with McKee's 37 hi-def sealant ? or even if I decide to use 3D- speed or McKee's 360 first before the hi-def sealant ? thanks
    hmardown
    You're making more work for yourself than you need to, and I don't know that I would mix product lines like that as I've had some poor results in the past. 360 has fillers (I believe anyway), and decent durability. Not as good as Hi-Def, but my experience with 360 is the durability is good enough that it's not worth another coat of sealant. With regular washes and the occasional top off with some sort of spray wax (Megs ultimate and McKees fast wax have worked well for me) you'll get through most of winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff. Good to know, for the next time I need sealant. Will be a while, though, that's for sure.

Side note...now you have me wanting to install fans in the garage! haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally the wax is applied after the sealant. Doubt you will get the results you want / looking for, sealant needs clean paint to bond / cure to the surface, then apply wax if you want.

Should be clear HD Speed has wax and 360 has sealant built in.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and an AIO has polish, which will remove any fillers from a glaze, which is why they're called "All In One".

Sometimes the lines blur on where a product falls, but do a search here and look at HD Speed and 360. They're favorites among the AIOs for a number of reasons. Easy to use, good correction, and decent protection durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    You're making more work for yourself than you need to, and I don't know that I would mix product lines like that as I've had some poor results in the past. 360 has fillers (I believe anyway), and decent durability. Not as good as Hi-Def, but my experience with 360 is the durability is good enough that it's not worth another coat of sealant. With regular washes and the occasional top off with some sort of spray wax (Megs ultimate and McKees fast wax have worked well for me) you'll get through most of winter.
    pilotpip
    let me throw this out there. and by the way, I'm trying to avoid removing to much clear coat. my truck is black & I can't keep chasing down every swirl mark or light scratch(and you know there's many). how about claying then using my rupes white pad with ultra fine compound & then using McKee's Hi-Def sealant ? I don't need to remove every swirl, but I'll probably remove quite a few. and then using the hi-def sealant should mask a few. what's your opinion on this plan of attack ? the dodge ram paint is soft & not hard to remove swirl marks. I just think I'm doing to much correcting & worried about the clear coat getting on the thin side. I'd probably use the white pad for the sealant to. I read somewhere that the rupes white pad & ultra fine compound is pretty safe to use. thanks,
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    pilotpip
    let me throw this out there. and by the way, I'm trying to avoid removing to much clear coat. my truck is black & I can't keep chasing down every swirl mark or light scratch(and you know there's many). how about claying then using my rupes white pad with ultra fine compound & then using McKee's Hi-Def sealant ? I don't need to remove every swirl, but I'll probably remove quite a few. and then using the hi-def sealant should mask a few. what's your opinion on this plan of attack ? the dodge ram paint is soft & not hard to remove swirl marks. I just think I'm doing to much correcting & worried about the clear coat getting on the thin side. I'd probably use the white pad for the sealant to. I read somewhere that the rupes white pad & ultra fine compound is pretty safe to use. thanks,
    hmardown
    I wouldn't expect Hi Def or any sealant to hide swirl marks. But your plan is sound - remove the defects as best you can then top her off with protection. Then the key is to exercise proper wash techniques and maximize the time needed before the next correction is needed. I know black is 'easier said then done' kind of color but proper washing (and drying) can dramitcally reduce how often you need to do correction. If you don't already, get in the habit of using a spray wax as a drying aid/lubricant as you dry. Not only will this boost LSP life but will make a notable difference in drying ease.

ScottH

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast