autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee’s 37 Xtreme Iron Remover

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Well, personally I wear gloves about 5% of the time - usually when doing tires and wheels because I don't like the stuff on my hands.

God made skin to protect us from detailing products.

Anyhoo, I think that your statement about products that don't need agitation are more based on opinion rather than fact. Without knowing the exact makeup of these products, I'm sure there are a host of common acids that produce a chemical reaction with iron to bring it into solution so it can rinse off. As such, I'm sure the grime, brake dust (not necessarily iron), motor oil, gasoline, brake fluid and all the other junk that is washed off the car is probably more harmful to the environment than the simple inorganic and organic acids used to catalyze solid iron into a dissolved salt (or however it goes into solution).

Iron removers are for removing iron that's embedded. Shampoo or agitation is for grime, dirt and everything else on the wheel.

(Sent via my mobile device...)
    Yes, you're right - it's my opinion and also common sense. Gloves are made to protect our skin. To each their own...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Nope! Personally I dont even want to touch a wheel cleaner strong enough to strip away grim w/o the need for agitation. Such a product can be good in the long term for the wheels, the environment, or your health!!
    Ehh... I use BR. It's non acid and works a few times better than WB on it's best day. All while managing to smell like nothing, unlike having to hold my breath when I use D143 Non Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner. So there goes that. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Well, personally I wear gloves about 5% of the time - usually when doing tires and wheels because I don't like the stuff on my hands.
    I agree. Maybe 5% of the time. Those times being when I use a claybar [because the clay tends to want to clean your own hands and I prefer my clay to remain as clean as possible] The other mandatory time is when I'm scrubbing matts/carpets and wiping them clean, same goes for upholstery.. But other than that there's no need past maybe certain wheel cleaning situations.

I can't imagine car wash soap being any more hazardous than Dawn dish soap, and there's a ladies hand on the label of that. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought some for use this fall when my two daily drives get their annual full detail. Sometimes I worry more about what a new product will do to my driveway than what it will do to my paint. Many people test and report on the latter, but few mention the driveway.

I have an asphalt driveway, and it adjoins a neighbors. I can't have stains or even glossy streaks left by product residue, tire gloss is an example of product I must use with care.

Can anyone comment on what rinsing Xtreme Iron Remover does to a driveway?

Post Thanks / Like

BlackMDX, you should be fine. I never seen or heard of any of them staining pavement.

Even on concrete the only thing you see it the dirt and grit.

Just rinse well and you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review Marc. I always enjoy reading your contributions.

Although I haven't tried the spray n blast off method, I do find that this product works very well when agitated and rinsed off. It clings very well allowing the product to effectively work to break down the contamination on the wheel prior to being agitated.

Thanks for sharing buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    I recently bought some for use this fall when my two daily drives get their annual full detail. Sometimes I worry more about what a new product will do to my driveway than what it will do to my paint. Many people test and report on the latter, but few mention the driveway.

I have an asphalt driveway, and it adjoins a neighbors. I can't have stains or even glossy streaks left by product residue, tire gloss is an example of product I must use with care.

Can anyone comment on what rinsing Xtreme Iron Remover does to a driveway?
    I've never had it stain the driveway. If anything you'll see a purple streak, which when I do, I just hit it with the hose and it's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SabbyNJ and Mantilgh for the replies. Sounds like I'll be fine with my usual practice of rinsing down the driveway following an application of anything other than wash products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Very nice review Marc. I always enjoy reading your contributions.

Although I haven't tried the spray n blast off method, I do find that this product works very well when agitated and rinsed off. It clings very well allowing the product to effectively work to break down the contamination on the wheel prior to being agitated.

Thanks for sharing buddy.
    Thanks a lot Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    Thanks SabbyNJ and Mantilgh for the replies. Sounds like I'll be fine with my usual practice of rinsing down the driveway following an application of anything other than wash products.
    Sorry for responding late but I've used Sonax Wheel Cleaner, IronX, DUB Wheel Cleaner, and now the McKee's Iron Remover. None of these iron removers stained the driveway.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thanks a lot Mike!

Sorry for responding late but I've used Sonax Wheel Cleaner, IronX, DUB Wheel Cleaner, and now the McKee's Iron Remover. None of these iron removers stained the driveway.

Thanks Marc. It's good to know staining is not a problem with other brands as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought some of this. So the idea is to remove iron..can this be used on a black car? all the examples I have ever seen were used on either wheels or a white or yellow car....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast