autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

Hey guys, I was chosen as 1 of the people to give the Boyd Coddington Detail Garage products a try and post my honest review of them.

I initially planned to post separate threads for each and every product, but I ended up having a bit of a problem with my camera/phone which resulted in me not being able to take as many pics as I planned on taking..

So I've decided to post my thoughts on all the products that were made available to me in this 1 thread. Lets get to it.

Here's a shot of the Boyd Coddington Detail Garage products I'll be reviewing. All products are RTU.

Boyd Coddington Hi Definition Glass Cleaner:

1st time using this was on my just washed Kia, I left the glass for last and purposely left the glass to dry on its own in order to provide something for the glass cleaner to clean. [its not easy trying to take pictures of dirty glass]

I used a fresh just washed waffle weave glass towel for this. The glass cleaner worked... But I must say that this glass cleaner is grabby and very different from what I'm normally used to. I tried it as the directions state by spraying directly onto glass and also by spraying it onto my towel and then cleaning and I found it to be a little less grabby when sprayed directly onto the glass, but regardless, it's grabby and my towel never glided smoothly across the glass when using it.

I was initially going to give this product a thumbs down mostly based on it being grabby, however I gave it another shot... I gave it a bunch of shots, I used this glass cleaner on 5 different vehicles and I'm still somewhere in between on whether I'd recommend it or not..

This is how much I've used. That's alot of testing for some glass cleaner in 1 day. Lol.

Pros: It smells good. I can't quite figure out what it smells like but it's appealing in a weird way. Strong scent. Smells kinda like blue candy.

- The fact that it's grabby means you'll rub hard and rubbing hard means you'll wind up cleaning better and removing any streaks... And when used in direct sun it does tend to streak a bit.

Cons: It's grabby.

Would I recommend? Maybe, maybe not.

Boyd Coddington Wheel Cleaner:

These are the wheels I tested it on. Bare aluminum wheels with a moderate amount of brake dust inside the barrels, however that thin layer of brake dust is baked on there pretty good. I know from having dealt with these wheels several months ago..

Here's what the front wheel looked like moments after spraying the dry cool wheel.

Here's what it looked like about 4min. later. At this time I quickly hit the barrel with a nylon wheel brush because I know that brake dust is baked on there pretty bad.

Same wheel, turned my flashlight off. Natural light now. Just prior to rinsing off.

After.

It sure bled alot, but I wasn't satisfied yet, especially around the lug nuts and several nooks along the face, plus the barrels weren't fully clean [but I kind of expected that] so I sprayed it again.

This time I agitated the lug nuts and nooks along the edge of the face with a detail brush.

After...

It wasn't able to fully clean all the brake dust off the wheel, even after thoroughly scrubbing. At this point I found myself taking way too much time on these 2 wheels + I had gone through half the bottles product, so I decided to move onto the drivers side wheels, which btw aren't as dirty as these 1st wheels...

...And this is when my phone decides to die and turn off. Even though it was fully charged when I left the house. It was early morning so I didn't have access to power until my customer woke up...

I didn't dedicate as much time, effort, or product on the 2 passenger side wheels because I had cleaned them to a higher level a few months ago.
    This is how much product I have left after cleaning those 4 wheels. [I've marked the leftover product with the 2 pads]

Pros: Bleeds alot
    - minimal bleeding on 2nd spraying, which indicates that the bleeding isn't just for show, and that it's actually serving a purpose.

Cons: 16oz. of wheel cleaner can go by in a blink, especially if the wheels are in need of a serious cleaning.

- unable to fully clean heavy baked & caked brake dust.

Would I recommend? Yes, if your wheels are well maintained. Definite yes if your wheels are bare aluminum, because it lived up to its claim and did not etch them.
    But is it going to transform a heavily baked & caked wheel? No. Nor do I think any color changing wheel cleaner would've been able to. I won't hold that against it though.

To be continued...

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd Coddington Extreme Black Tire & Rubber Dressing:

My phone tried its best to ruin my documentation for these reviews... Luckily I tested this product out and took some pictures of it the day prior on my Kia. Here's my quik review.

Tire has been cleaned and fully dried. I'll be applying the Boyds Dressing the way I always apply tire dressing, with a flag tipped brush. [brush has been cleaned & dried prior to testing]

I give a few sprays directly onto my brush.. This stuff is anything but watery, and that's a good thing.

Spread it along...

This brush is perfect. If you're not applying tire dressing like this, then you're missing out. Thank me later. Lol.

After. It's a thing of beauty!

I don't knock anything down, never. Why would I want to minimize this goodness?

Rear tire before.

Rear tire after.

Front tire after a couple of hours...

After a couple of days it still looks good. Rear tires look slightly more glossy than the front tires, but nothing to complain about. Front tires look dark and matte black right now.

Pros: Thick liquid with substance to it.
    - Easy to use/spread onto tires.
    - Looks great, right amount of gloss.

Cons- Doesn't go as far as you'd normally think for a liquid of this consistency. Just slightly under, not too big of a deal though.

Would I recommend? Sure.

Boyd Coddington Show Prep Interior Detail Cleaner:

I only had a short time experience so far with this product, and based on my little experience so far I'd say it's good. Scent is fresh & clean, not overpowering at all. Cleaned just right and I can tell by the amount of dirt it left on my towel.

Pros: Adequate quik interior detailer

Cons: none that I can see.

Would I recommend? Sure, why not.

Boyd Coddington Show Prep Auto Shampoo:

This stuff is thick. If I had to describe it I'd say it was like liquid jam, and that's a good thing. Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

Pros: Smells good, sort of like a mix of red candy with a hint of Nyquil, but in a good way.
    - Its thick
    - It suds up super
    - no complaints whatsoever

Cons: none.

Would I recommend? Yes.

To be continued...

3. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd Coddington Hot Rod Metal Polish:

At this point I had applied the wax on the paint and began giving it proper time to haze and set.

The Boyds Extreme Tire Dressing has already been applied onto the tires as you can see they're looking good.

Perfect time to get started on polishing the wheels. I was looking forward to this... Well not the work, but more the results. Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

I love the satisfaction of polishing aluminum, and I had high hopes for this metal polish, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the results..

This is also where my phone was being a complete pain and I had to spend most of this time charging it and unable to take as many pics as I would've like to. Not only that, but this metal polish wasn't producing the results I was looking for as it just wasn't quite able to completely finish off in some areas and was leaving too much of the oxidation behind, even after numerous applications.

Polishing wheels can be a chore, couple that with time ticking and I ran out of patience with this product. I had to switch to a different metal polish for the drivers side wheels and the difference was substantial in every way.

Pros: You get 16oz.

Cons: It's weak.
    - It dries kind of fast
    - I had much higher expectations of this product

Would I recommend? No.

Boyd Coddington Signature Series Carnauba Paste Wax:

Everything looks good upon opening the jar. Smells good in that carnauba paste wax sort of way.

1st thing I notice is that there's absolutely no directions on this product.. And this is a minor gripe, if you even want to call it a gripe. I found it a bit comical, but I have a weird sense of humor. Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

Bare bones. No info. No directions. No recommendations. No nada... Can you apply by machine? Who knows? How bout direct sunlight? Be quiet noob. Lol.

I applied it by hand... Because I apply every lsp by hand, all the time, everytime. Olde school.. Besides I was provided a free foam applicator, and maybe that was hint that hand application is recommended? I dunno, just do it.

So I applied it. Took me just under 20min. to apply to the whole truck. I let it haze for a good 50min. - 1hr maybe a bit longer... Weather during this time was perfect. Complete overcast and no sunshine. Not until I was almost done wiping it off. And once I did and the sun decided to make its grand appearance for the day.... Well let me just say it was a thing of beauty! These pictures do no justice. I knew this red truck would be perfect for this.. I was impressed! Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

After Boyd Coddington Detail Garage products.

Would I recommend this carnauba wax? Hell yes, especially if you've got a red vehicle. Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

Thanks to AG. Thanks to Boyds. And thank you for reading. Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

5. Thanks Angus, Diner, JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes Finick, Angus, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

Nicely done, Eldo
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Top shelf review Eldo2k, well done!

9. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely done, Eldo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Top shelf review Eldo2k, well done!
    Thanks guys, it sure took a little while from beginning to end. Boyd Coddington Detail Garage: Product line review

11. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done review!!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

13. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review Eldo !!! Thanks for sharing.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

15. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good honest review !

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

17. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great comprehensive review. You used a ton of wheel cleaner!! Dang.

19. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast