autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 mini-rant

We all know HD speed is an elixir crafted on the highest hills of Valhalla so it doesn't count. But if you used a product wrong it's not the manufacturers fault. It's like saying that mckee 37 glass coating is not a good waterless wash.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    We all know HD speed is an elixir crafted on the highest hills of Valhalla so it doesn't count. But if you used a product wrong it's not the manufacturers fault. It's like saying that mckee 37 glass coating is not a good waterless wash.
    Does Meguiars D151 stain rubber trim? It's not made on a fancy hill but it's a cleaner wax. Serious question, I'd like to know whether it does or not.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a convoluted answer? It will stain some plastics and then on some it will make it look better.

Edit:

Like everything we do, test it on a spot first and see. There's no 100% guarantees with these chemical cleaners for paint used on plastic and rubber. They're not made for it so it depends on the cleaning chemicals and solvents used in the cleaner and the type of plastic and the original dye used for the plastic.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

How about a convoluted answer? It will stain some plastics and then on some it will make it look better.
    I'm about to find out for sure... Bout to go outside and see if I can stain my weatherstripping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@McKees37 View Post
    The 1 year mention in the video is incorrect ("typo" if you will). Coating Prep Polish is designed for paint. Where does it say on the bottle or the website about using it on plastic?

Have you tried the products for their intended application yet??
    My other paint preps work on plastic. Why would you create a product that wouldn't? Products that stain plastics are usually in the very low end of what is available in the industry. Since plastics are gonna be coated, they need to be prepped. If I purchase a product to prep the surfaces for coating, why would I want one that only work on paint? Or to turn this around, if I need to have a prep product that works on plastics and and other surfaces, why would I need your product? It simply makes no sense and saying "Well, we never said it would work on plastic" is a ridiculous defense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I have used this Coating (DP lab ) and it is ok, but it's so easy to apply that I can't complain. Now the prep polish staining plastics? That's weird to me because I actually use it to revitalize smooth, non textured trim. I feel it works easier/better for trim than it does on the paint.
    Also a fellow member (Eldorado2k) has a thread on here with pictures of what it did to the fender trim on a Tacoma.
    Yep, it was on textured plastics, those are the only kind that stain in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Does Meguiars D151 stain rubber trim? It's not made on a fancy hill but it's a cleaner wax. Serious question, I'd like to know whether it does or not.
    I never noticed D151 staining anything. Can't remember if I ever used it on textured plastics, but since usually polish every possible surface when I use that product, it would be very unlikelly I never came across textured plastic while using it.

The last product I used that stained textured plastic is Nu Finish. Quite sad that it does that otherwise it's a good product. I have not run into that issue with any professionnal products since I started 5 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Edit:

Like everything we do, test it on a spot first and see. There's no 100% guarantees with these chemical cleaners for paint used on plastic and rubber. They're not made for it so it depends on the cleaning chemicals and solvents used in the cleaner and the type of plastic and the original dye used for the plastic.
    I don't think you can stain smooth plastics. So on smooth plastics, it just do it's job like it does on paint. The issue is always texture, the product gets in the pits of the surface and don't wipe off. It's easy to fix but it means you can't use the product which makes it useless in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 mini-rant

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I never noticed D151 staining anything. Can't remember if I ever used it on textured plastics, but since usually polish every possible surface when I use that product, it would be very unlikelly I never came across textured plastic while using it.

The last product I used that stained textured plastic is Nu Finish. Quite sad that it does that otherwise it's a good product. I have not run into that issue with any professionnal products since I started 5 years ago.
    I don't mean to hijack your thread so I hope you're cool with me posting my test results real quik.

I tried D151 on my rubber weatherstripping.

Cleaner wax. Didn't stain a thing...

Clean.

Then I tried Ultimate Polish on the right side, I figured this should surely stain because it says to keep of trim on the directions.

Didn't stain it either...

I guess Hyper Dressing [even though I haven't applied it in well over a month is protecting my rubber from any harm

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience the only products than can be used on any type of textured plastic or trim is Hyper Polish, GPS, Poli-seal. I literally ONLY use the products to clean rubber, smooth and textured trim.

I use HD Polish+ and HD Speed on all trim except for textured. That said, I've only ever run into a few trims that they didn't respond well too but even then they didn't cause any staining.

In my experience both Meguiars and Menzerna compounds, polishes, and AIO's should be kept off most trims.

This is all my opinion btw

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast